Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VW Vanagon need help with mechanic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VW Vanagon need help with mechanic
    Posted: 02 May 2006 at 7:02am

I have just aquired a Vanagon VW to get my rugby team to destin in a month.  It needs a clutch anyone know of a CHEAP mechanic for these things or in general?  I dont have the place to do it.

74 CJ5
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2006 at 1:09am

Diehl or Ashley's Garage, both on Governor's drive near Clinton.

There's another one in that same area that's something like paisley garage...cant recall the name.

"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
4RUNNERB12 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2006 at 6:20am

Thanks, its gonna cost $600 to put a clutch in that thing.  Thats alot for that old thing.

74 CJ5
rolltidezuk View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolltidezuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2006 at 4:47pm
I'm sure most of that is labor for pulling the engine out from under the rear of the vehicle.  JC
What can I say, I have a Samurai and Dodge tow rig.

<><
4RUNNERB12 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2006 at 6:02pm
its the same as a regular car only easier because everything is under the car and the engine mounts are one the top.  i think this is a little to high.
74 CJ5
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2006 at 12:13pm

You might try Johnsons Foreign Auto over on Putman Dr. I'd say $600 for doing the job right isn't bad. A good Sachs clutch is going to be around $250 retail. Plus machining the flywheel. You lcould always do it yourself. All you need besides regular hand tools are a jack, jackstands, and a flywheel lock(can be purchased at johnsons).

John

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic