Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Club Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to here and moving to Hunts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to here and moving to Hunts
    Posted: 27 December 2005 at 1:53am

Hi,

New to your forum and will be moving to Huntsville in the summer.  I would love to hook up with your club, looks like a ton of fun and need to find some wheeling friends when I move.  Anyone have suggestions on what area is best to live in up there?  Looking at buying a house in the next few months and would like to live in the mountains if possible.  But I hear Madison is a great place to live.  Any help?

Ken Arrington

50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2005 at 2:27am

Welcome!!

We are currently looking for a permanent meeting place, so when you get to the area keep an eye on our website for the meeting place and time.  Our club members are spread out all over the area from Skyline in Jackson County to Lawrence County and everywhere in between, but a number of our members live in the Madison area.

Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member
Have you seen my 9/16" socket?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2005 at 2:42am
I'm currently looking for a house myself.  PM me a price range, how far you would drive to work, and how much space you need,etc  and maybe I can point you in some areas that I've seen that would suit you.

Case
06 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited all torn apart.

BigwoolyD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigwoolyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2005 at 5:03am

You might find this useful

http://valleymls.com

Edited by BigwoolyD
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2005 at 7:40am

I just had a house built between two mtns and 15 minutes outside of downtown huntsville.

Look in the New Market / NE Huntsville Area as there are some good deals to be had.  But as Dalton said, your price range, distance from work (and your work location) and size of house makes a big difference.

Madison is a very nice area but traffic to and fro can sometimes be a hassle.

Al View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2005 at 12:34pm
Ken,

You have kids?  If so, Madison City schools are the best in North Alabama, for public anyway.

I see you're military.  What's your speciality?  We have at least 3 military guys in the club (4 if Randy would join, hint, hint!).  One is deployed to Iraq (Sean/CJ7OX) right now.  Patrick/can't remember his username) and Sleepy are also military, they can tell you about life in North Alabama from a military personnel perspective.

Doc and I live in Madison, as does Scott Mead.  Jeremy/Scoutman lives just north of Madison.  Then we got members out in Decatur, Skyline and in Huntsville.  Pick your poison.

Club meeting is the first Wednesday of the month.  New location is at the USMC Reserve Center, South Parkway Service Road, between Drake and Airprort; you're more than welcome to join us.  We start at 7 PM and Doc is pretty good about getting us out in an hour or so.  Club membership requirements are 2 meetings and 2 rides.

Questions?  IM, EM or call me.  CPh. 509-3459 or aldolney@bellsouth.net.

Thanks,

Al

Edited by Big Red
85cruiser View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2005 at 1:22pm

AL,

that would be 85cruiser.

Patrick

Patrick

2011 Ford F350, XLT, 4X4, Diesel, Crew cab, long bed

74' FJ-40, The "Bruise"

85' FJ-60, slightly modified

87' FJ60, slightly modified
wakeboarder 21 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboarder 21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2005 at 3:14pm

Originally posted by Big Red Big Red wrote:

Ken,

You have kids?  If so, Madison City schools are the best in North Alabama, for public anyway.

As a former Highschool student I would recommend Huntsville High over Bob Jones any day. 

98 TJ 5spd.

33 BFG M/T under
RE 3.5"--1" BL--Currie AntiRock-- CB-- Hella 500s-- Optimia Red top--- Durango 4x4 Front Bumper--- Hand Throttle
Al View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2005 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by 85cruiser 85cruiser wrote:

AL,

that would be 85cruiser.

Patrick

No wonder I couldn't find it: I kept looking in the P's, T's and L's (for LandCruisers!).

Thanks,

Al

Mike_LaMar View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_LaMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2005 at 3:52pm
When I was moving from North Carolina this is the website I used to find a house: http://www.relocatingtoalabama.com/. Also Army Community services should be able to give you an up to date "Sites" booklet on Redstone and the Huntsville area.

Mike
2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 4" Superlift Suspension, 37" Toyo MTs

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 1:17am

Originally posted by wakeboarder 21 wakeboarder 21 wrote:

As a former Highschool student I would recommend Huntsville High over Bob Jones any day. 

Hmmmm.....others might say different:

http://www.psk12.com/rating/USthreeRsphp/STATE_AL_level_High _CountyID_0.html

Although all three major schools in Hsv (BJHS, Grissom and Hsv High) are ranked well, but BJHS, as we in Madison already knew, is the highest of the three.  Also, something really interesting.....schoolmatters.com ranks the expenditures per student for Huntsville and Madison County HIGHER than per student for Madison city, yet Madison city schools ranks MUCH higher for reading and math proficiency.  Interesting.....glad you motivated me to look at this.  And BTW, I dont have a kid in the public school system, so I have no axe to grind here.

Edited by alabamatoy
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 2:56am
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 3:12am
Originally posted by Marine Marine wrote:

Doc, not that I have an axe to grind either but Buckhorn actually has better numbers than madison with a 96 in reading and a 92 in math.

compare this to madison with a 90 and a 89 respective.

I dont know where you got 90 and 89 from, when I look at the same site for BJHS it shows 95.5 and 93.3.....so you are right Buckhorn is 0.6 higher in the reading (which is really surprising) but lower in math.

Bob Jones High School
Madison City School
District
95.5 95.3 16.5 1,506 8.4 9-12 No
  Buckhorn High School
Madison County
School District
96.1 92.6 18.5 961 14.6 9-12 No

BRC Life Member
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 3:20am

Yes, you are correct I was looking at the second link you provided at the madison city school district to get my 90 and 89 numbers.

Why are you so suprised that Buckhorn was higher in reading?

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 4:18am

Just stereotype, I guess - I would have expected Grissom or Hsv High to be higher than Buckhorn.  My wife informed me that Buckhorn won some "blue ribbon school" thing here a year or two ago, same as BJHS.  I just didna know.

The only reason I would avoid the Winchester road / New Market area is the rediculous traffic situation on Moore's Mill/72/565 during rush hour.  'Course Madison has its problems too, with 72 construction, old Mad Pike/Slaughter Road congestion etc.  The new middle school at the end of Farrier had a cut-through to the back of Research Park and that was alleviating a lot of the congestion  but the County School Board closed it a few weeks ago.....

I go in to work at 6:30.  It takes me about 15 minutes from my house in Madison to B5400 on Redstone Arsenal.  Cant get much better than that.

BRC Life Member
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 6:21am
Forget about the schools and move to Lawrence County with all the rednecks.
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
blue302ranger View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue302ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 6:52am

HU hU I wEnT to BUkHorn   Seriously, Riverton and Buckhorn schools are great in my opinion.  Now that I have a child, I tend to look at everything with a different perspective.  (I always hated school in general.)  If I wasn't already in this school district I would move to it.

83 toyota truck

ME : You think we're gonna flip?
NICK:Ha, ha, .. .. . wait, .. .Are you serious?!
wakeboarder 21 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboarder 21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 7:04am
Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

Originally posted by wakeboarder 21 wakeboarder 21 wrote:

Hmmmm.....others might say different:

http://www.psk12.com/rating/USthreeRsphp/STATE_AL_level_High _CountyID_0.html

Although all three major schools in Hsv (BJHS, Grissom and Hsv High) are ranked well, but BJHS, as we in Madison already knew, is the highest of the three.  Also, something really interesting.....schoolmatters.com ranks the expenditures per student for Huntsville and Madison County HIGHER than per student for Madison city, yet Madison city schools ranks MUCH higher for reading and math proficiency.  Interesting.....glad you motivated me to look at this.  And BTW, I dont have a kid in the public school system, so I have no axe to grind here.

Also I was only in school here in Huntsville for 1 1/2 years.  One semester in Private (which sucked), and one year in public.  Thats just IMO

98 TJ 5spd.

33 BFG M/T under
RE 3.5"--1" BL--Currie AntiRock-- CB-- Hella 500s-- Optimia Red top--- Durango 4x4 Front Bumper--- Hand Throttle
rolltidezuk View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolltidezuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 9:06am
If you decide to overlook all this school talk. We have moved the meeting to the first Thursday of the month.   JC
What can I say, I have a Samurai and Dodge tow rig.

<><
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2006 at 7:16am
Anybody hear anything more from this guy lately?
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2006 at 8:11am
Wakeboarder21,
I agree with your comment about Bob Jones. I went to Bob Jones myself. I sure hope things have changed for the better. They were fine academically but not otherwise.

John

Edited by 83K10
SushiMonster View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SushiMonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2006 at 2:47pm

IMHO Sparkman High School is a great school, my oldest graduated from there 2 years ago and my youngest is a freshman there now.  They have a wonderful acedemic reputation as well as sports.  I agree with Doc and Al. If I had wanted to pay all of those politically biased taxes in Madison and the unstable city government issue, I would have moved there myself.  My wife and I decided to raise our children in the country(Harvest) where they could experience all the wonderful things of life as we did growing up.  If it weren't for that dang strip...LOL

well that's my $.02,

sushi 

Edited by SushiMonster
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 10:01am

Originally posted by cj8lvr cj8lvr wrote:

What guy?

Al View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2006 at 11:47am
Originally posted by cj8lvr cj8lvr wrote:

kenair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2006 at 4:52am

Hi again,

I have been so busy with work I cant even stop to write most the time.  We made a house hunting trip to HUntsville a couple weeks ago and found one.  We put a bid on it and it looks like we may get it.  It's South east Huntsville close to where I may be working and with a great view of a mountain I want to drive up.

In the military I fly Helicopters.  Have been doing that for about 14 years and was Infantry for the 1st 6 years. Right now Im working in simulation development and accreditation.  We have no kids but still interested in schools for resale value and our agent said we are in a good school zone. 

Thanks for all the info, can't wait to get a break here and come back up.

cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2006 at 5:50am
Good to hear from you again.  We were all wondering.  Good luck on the house.
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2006 at 6:34am
if its the same mountain in southeast huntsville area I'm thinking of , good luck...I knew a guy in high school that had to abandon a pretty new chevy up there...as far as i know the carcass is still up there. 

Case

CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2006 at 8:28pm

Case,

Are you talking about the powerline cut of of Mt. Gap? I used to run up there back in the day.

~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2006 at 1:33am
Well, yes, same mountain but the powerline cut further south where bailey cove turns into green cove.

74chevystepside View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74chevystepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2006 at 4:03pm
haha the mnt gap one yesterday just for fun
KJ4DDC
2009 Red Rock 4 door JK. All stock
1994 Blueish YJ
3" body lift and 33's WOOT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic