Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Holes of Steel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkubisht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holes of Steel
    Posted: 18 July 2012 at 1:41am

Thought the windshield had been leaking since the day I got the 4Runner, but noticed this when I did the 3RZ swap:

Went to replace my broken antenna last weekend, so removed fender liner to find the opening goes into the wheelwell.  That's when I discovered the hole extended into the wheelwell, not just through the firewall.  Did some filing, then pulled the fender to make access easier.  That's when I found the opening ALSO extended upward into the windshield/cowl drain channel:

3RZ swapped 1985 Toyota 4Runner
bkubisht View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkubisht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2012 at 1:53am
No wonder I had a swimming pool under the carpet over there!  Did some cutting on it last night to trim away the rusty edges wherever my angle grinder could reach.  Tonight I'll attempt to reach the edge of the firewall panel with a dremel and cutoff wheel, and possibly cut more off the lip that runs down the wheelwell.

Some 16 gauge I have laying around will go to rebuild the panels, but what process should I use to keep it from rusting again?  Right now the plan is to spot/stitch weld the new pieces into place, seal edges with body seam sealer due to expected flexing during wheeling, then coat all sides of everything with Chassis Saver.

Never done sheet metal repair like this before, what would you guys do differently?
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2012 at 3:05am
Spot weld it in, use the body seam sealer, then coat the crap out of it with POR-15.
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2012 at 2:57am
Dont let tree crap get into the air-intake slats at the forward base of the windshield.  I think that is what actually causes the rust - rotting vegetation produces tannic acid which corrodes the metal.  Pine needles are the worst.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
bkubisht View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkubisht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2012 at 2:17pm
There is tree crap in there, but it's trapped several inches further in than where the rust is.  But your point is well taken, I'll remove the cowl to clean it before welding begins.  When the Chassis Saver gets applied the whole area under the cowl will get the treatment.
Oh, and can you move to the tech section?  Not sure how I accidentally put this thread in the events area.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic