Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grand Cherokee Trans. Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grand Cherokee Trans. Problems
    Posted: 20 September 2007 at 4:29pm
I bought a Grand Cherokee several months ago and have been having some weird tranny shifting so I went to get it flushed.  The guys at Express Lube said these had bad transmissions and I was probably going to have to replace it.  I don't think there are any major problems, I just wanted to change the fluid because it needs to be done.  Anyone had a similar problem?  Or know if these trucks just have funny shifting transmissions.

Also I was told regular Cherokee's have a toyota transmission, is this true?
74 CJ5
YJWonderboy View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YJWonderboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2007 at 9:21am
*sigh* I don't know much about the Grand Cherokees, but in a sense the Cherokees DID have toyota transmissions. The AX-15 was used in some light duty toyota trucks but was different in the sense that the bell housing's bolt pattern was different from those used on Jeeps. In throw-out bearing was also in a different location and there were a few other differences. While essentially the "same" transmission, the Toyota AX-15 is not compatible with Jeeps...I believe.
Just an '02 Cavalier right now...z24 auto...my 4x4 died...
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2007 at 10:20am

The Toyota R-150 5 spd and a Jeep AX-15 5spd are both made by Aisin and share the same internals. Both are VERY good transmissions.

4RUNNERB12 - you didn't specify but it sounds like you have an automatic, not an AX-15. I don't know if the Jeep autos are made by Aisin or not , but the Toyota automatics are very reliable from what I've seen. They shift out hard, but they last forever.

TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE................need I say more?   
4RUNNERB12 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2007 at 10:42am
I have an automatic.  I was told the grand cherokees have a chrysler trans. because you have to use atf +4 in them. 
74 CJ5
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2007 at 1:52pm
ZJ or WJ?
What year?
What engine?
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2007 at 4:18pm
dont know zj or wj its a 2000 grand cherokee, with a v6 4x2 , couldn't find a 4x4 in my range
74 CJ5
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2007 at 4:28pm
It's a WJ and it's not a v6 but rather an I-6.

This is a useful site for you but I doubt it'll help out much with your transmission problems.

I'd suggest posting your problem here, only don't say you have a v6.
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
bamajeepjunkie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamajeepjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2007 at 4:44pm
  your's prbly has the 42re trans some claim to have problems out of them but my zj had an early model of this trans and had no problems just keep good fluid and filter in it mine had 243k miles on it when  i wrecked it, if you tow with it i suggest a trans cooler.
97 green tj 4 banger
91 red xj 5spd 4.0 6" custom lift 33-12.5-15 bfg m/t
88 red xj rk 4.5
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2007 at 1:14am
Oh, I knew it was a I6, just typing to fast I guess, I have read a bunch of threads on whether or not to change the fluid in these, when my back is better I will get under there and drop the pan, I just had back surgery and cant even touch my knees yet so It's going to be a while.  Thanks for all the help.
74 CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic