Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Laws and Land Use Issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Hiking trail crossing Madison County...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Hiking trail crossing Madison County...
    Posted: 28 October 2011 at 8:27am

Wonder how they are going to route a trail from Florence to WoJ without crossing all sorts of private property?  I hope they try to cross all that Stevenson Land Company property north of Huntsville, that should be fun to watch.

New Hiking Trail Will Wind Its Way from the Gulf to Huntsville

When completed, the Alabama Trail will be 550-miles long. The southern terminus of the trail will be located at historic Fort Morgan along the Alabama Gulf Coast. From there the trail will meander northward to Florence then east to Huntsville and the Walls of Jericho, a beautiful bowl canyon located on Forever Wild property on the Alabama-Tennessee state line.

The Tennessee Valley Chapter of the Alabama Hiking Trail Society will host a presentation on the Alabama Trail Saturday November 5th from 9:30am to 11:30am at the main branch of the Huntsville Public Library on Monroe Street. The meeting is free and open to the public.

http://www.hikealabama.org/content/alabama-trail-public-meeting-set-huntsville

"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2011 at 9:52am
Maybe they'll be HITCH-Hiking the roads instead of nice nature trails?
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2011 at 9:55am
Yeah, I would love to know how they plan to pull this one off. No way all the private land owners will agree to this.
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE................need I say more?   
unlblkrubi View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlblkrubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2011 at 10:51am
'18 Renegade Trailhawk
'15 JKUR-Warn-AEV-Rigid-KC-ARB

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2011 at 11:14am
There's a similar trail in Florida (called ... The Florida Trail), that goes from end to end of the state. Most of it follows back roads, and winds through state and national parks when possible. It's not the kind of trail one would want to actually attempt a thru-hike. Not many camping areas, almost zero "facilities" in any area, and a LOT of highway crossings. Hopefully the Alabama trail isn't too much like that.
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2011 at 5:46am
I think I may go and check out what they have to say about it. I'm curious on their intended path around the huntsville/new market areas.

The Florida Trail is decent in some of the areas I've been on it. It would be a fun one to do a long distance mountain bike ride on.
unlblkrubi View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlblkrubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2011 at 12:30am
'18 Renegade Trailhawk
'15 JKUR-Warn-AEV-Rigid-KC-ARB

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic