Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help Jeep Guys, Can You Tell Me What Causes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acmc415 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Jeep Guys, Can You Tell Me What Causes
    Posted: 08 December 2010 at 2:44pm
Confused I have a friend with a 2000 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L 5 SPD,  this vehicle is all stock daily driver and has two issues the first of which is driving him crazy...
Number One:  While driving normally the Flasher will start clicking with no particular pace or speed and,,, none of the blinkers lights are blinking.  If he then turns on the turn signal, the blinkers blink and the clicking becomes normal rate.  He said he is sure it is the flasher making the noise becasue he has placed his hand on the flasher while the crazy clicking is  happening and he can feel it.
  He went to O'riely's, purchased a flasher and nothing worked, he removed the new flasher, replaced it with the old and blickers work but still the occasional crazy clicking.  He has gone to the dealer but they wanted over 90.00 bucks for one so he walked out without it.

Number Two:  sounds simple to me but here it is,  The blower motor does not blow air when switch is on HI speed.  All other speeds work just not hi speed....

Any Ideas would be great...
Thanks,
          Micky C

Edited by acmc415 - 08 December 2010 at 2:48pm
84 Toyota crawler
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by acmc415 acmc415 wrote:

Number Two:  sounds simple to me but here it is,  The blower motor does not blow air when switch is on HI speed.  All other speeds work just not hi speed....

Probably the blower fan ballast resistor.  Also could be the fan switch itself.  The switch is cheap, about $25 from the dealer, and the blower resister is about $45 from Retard Auto or Auto Zoo.  I have had to replace both of these on my Daughter's 01 Wrangler.  When her fan switch failed, it would only blow on high, nothing else.  Whe the ballast failed, the fan didnt work at all.  Both parts are easy to replace.  The ballast resistor was behind the glovebox.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 4:24pm
I'd just like to make the observation that Doc has posted a reply to a thread titled "Help Jeep Guys, Can You Tell Me What Causes"

Micky,
I'd recommend he register on Jeepforum.com and JeepsUnlimited.com and maybe do a little searching there.  I'm unfamiliar with either problem except what Doc said about the resistor.

Edited by cj8lvr - 08 December 2010 at 4:24pm
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by cj8lvr cj8lvr wrote:

I'd just like to make the observation that Doc has posted a reply to a thread titled "Help Jeep Guys, Can You Tell Me What Causes"

Yeah, it is one of the things that Toyota guys do best - Help Jeep Guys. 
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2010 at 1:06am
LOL
scoutman View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Lame Duck Past Pres, Fab Guy & Club Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2010 at 2:57am
The blinker problem could be a bad relay (what you're calling the flasher), a bad blinker switch, or something jacked up with the contacts in the steering column. 

It sounds like the relay is getting some residual voltage across the coil causing it to try and engage.  I would take the relay that he bought back and try another.  Make sure he's getting the right one and if that doesn't work, start looking at other things... 
76 Scout II in pieces
96 Jeep XJ 33's
99 Jeep XJ Limited
06 Dodge 3500
W5LZQ
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2010 at 4:36am
Depending on how it's wired, the clicking relay can be caused by a bad ground.  I haven't seen this specific issue though so I'm not sure. 
acmc415 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acmc415 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2010 at 7:56am
Thanks to all, if anyone has more please advize....  Yea, this is what toyota guys do best....  (((Help Jeep Guys)))))...   Just Joking.....Clap
84 Toyota crawler
browning67 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browning67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2010 at 3:27pm
the blower motor is the switch. just replace it and you will be good as new. it is pretty common. i betcha the termanils are melted too.

Thumbs Up

as far as the blinker... eh who needs one anyways.
98 2door xj on krawlers

-david
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic