Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Club Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Guy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eaglefreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Guy
    Posted: 04 November 2010 at 3:45pm
After lurking here for a couple weeks and going to the meeting tonight, I guess I should do the intro. I recently purchased a 77 Jeep Cherokee Chief S with a 360/TH400/Quadratrac combo. It needs a bit of work to be trail ready. It was barely running when I bought it. It has the wrong carb on it, too small. So after locating a carb and attempting to get it running correctly, I'll take on the other things necessary. A previous owner did a SOA up front and 5" blocks out back. Plan is just for some 33" since I don't plan on changing the axles and I don't want to kill the QT case.

My other vehicle is my 86 AMC Eagle. It's my daily driver. I would like to get it where I can go on some easy trails. It has a 258 with a Jeep 4.0L head, Comp Cams camshaft, Motorcraft carb, Transgo shiftkit in the stock 998 auto and an 8.25 rear from a 98 XJ. A gear change needs to be done up front to match the rear and a NP229 transfer case will be going in soon to gain low range.

Rick

Edited by Eaglefreek - 04 November 2010 at 3:48pm
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2010 at 5:18am
Welcome! I always thought it would be cool to have an AMC Eagle as a trail rig!

~Sean
~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

Eaglefreek View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eaglefreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2010 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by CJ7OX CJ7OX wrote:

Welcome! I always thought it would be cool to have an AMC Eagle as a trail rig!

~Sean

Me too. Big smile When I lived in CO, I also had an 81 Eagle wagon that was going to be my trail rig. I already had a 5.0L engine, trans, and 8.8 from an Explorer and a Dana 30 about to go in when my now ex-wife informed me she wanted a divorce. I had to scrap the plan. Cry

There are a few folks on www.amceaglenest.com that have straight axle Eagles. I just don't want to make a dedicated rig out of my 86 wagon. There is one for sale in Lacey Springs for $400 that I have been tossing around the idea of buying and making into a rig instead of the FSJ.
Here are some examples of altered Eagles:

Edited by Eaglefreek - 06 November 2010 at 1:10pm
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2010 at 9:54am
Awesome pics. I especially like the last one!
~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2010 at 11:43am
You should pick up that eagle for $400. I mean there's been lots of wagoneer trail rigs. I can't say I've ever seen an eagle as one before. I like the last one as well. The green one looks almost like a mad max creation. 
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eaglefreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2010 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by 83K10 83K10 wrote:

You should pick up that eagle for $400. I mean there's been lots of wagoneer trail rigs. I can't say I've ever seen an eagle as one before. I like the last one as well. The green one looks almost like a mad max creation. 

I'm really tempted, but I would have to unload the Jeep first. I think if I get it running it will be easier to sell. Not to mention the transmission going out in my Eagle set me back some.
Below is the one in Lacey Springs, it would need a lot more work to get it trail ready compared to the Jeep. I'm a parts changer not a fabricator and I don't have the cash to pay someone to install a solid front axle up front. It's my understanding if I wanted to go leaves up front, the front subrame rails are supposedly the same width as a YJ and all you need to do is cut off the stock control arm points and weld on some spring hangers and install a Dana 30 from a YJ.

83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2010 at 2:06am
Your looking at this the wrong way. A set of D44s from a wagoneer would probably be a good setup for the eagle. If you don't have the money to pay someone to do a SAS or the ability, then you should probably decide against it. It would be cool though. 
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eaglefreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 4:34pm
Wow, time flies. I'm back. I got rid of the Cherokee and added some bumpers with recovery points and a winch up front. 
I recently installed a little bit bigger tires that are still quite small compared to most of yours.
I've did some mild wheeling and camping a couple times in N Ga with a group from the Expedition Portal and had a blast.

RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eaglefreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 4:51pm
Ugh! Blue screen of death. Now to type this again. Angry

I had to pass through Provo, UT on my way to Elko, NV for work. There was a bad Eagle wagon for sale and I stopped by to check it out, but told the seller I had no intention of buying it, just wanted to check it out. He said, "Come on by". He lived 2 minutes from a riding area on the side of a mountain and took me for a half hour ride. I fell in love, but still didn't want to spend what he was asking, which was a good deal in my opinion. 
A week and a half later he called me and gave me a price I couldn't refuse. I picked it up Friday and drove it from UT to TN. I stopped in CO and did a little wheeling with a friend.
Ford 8.8 out back with a Dana 44 up front. Chevy 5.3l with 4L60E and 231 case on 35's. Smile
I hope to be able to make next weeks meet at Newks. 

Edited by Eaglefreek - 27 March 2012 at 4:52pm
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2012 at 4:48am
Man thats sweet looking!
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2012 at 8:11am
Nice! I look forward to seeing it next week!
~Sean

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic