Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good shop for my LandCruiser? (Huntsville)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .bg. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good shop for my LandCruiser? (Huntsville)
    Posted: 14 June 2010 at 3:42pm
Looking for a good place to have my 97 FJ80 worked on. It's got a weird clanging I can't seem to figure out and I'd like to knock out a 120k service while I'm at it. Not in a position to take care of these things myself and wanted to know if anyone had a good recommendation for a place to take it?

I was just going to go through Toyota, but I'm not sure if that'd be the best choice.

Thanks!
JGbronc View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGbronc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2010 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by .bg. .bg. wrote:

Looking for a good place to have my 97 FJ80 worked on. It's got a weird clanging I can't seem to figure out and I'd like to knock out a 120k service while I'm at it. Not in a position to take care of these things myself and wanted to know if anyone had a good recommendation for a place to take it?

I was just going to go through Toyota, but I'm not sure if that'd be the best choice.

Thanks!

Someone one here might be able to diagnose the "clanging" if you could give some more details. What exactly is it doing?
'99 4Runner Limited 4WD
'76 Bronco Explorer 4WD
'76 Bronco Sport 4WD
.bg. View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .bg. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2010 at 4:06pm
It clangs when the drive line loads up whenever shifting from Reverse to Drive or vice versa. (foot on brake not moving). Feels like something big is pretty loose. I've had a buddy look as it was shifted and he couldn't spot anything visibly shifting around. It also has a vibration pull at speed from time to time. 
JGbronc View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGbronc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2010 at 4:44pm
Does it make the noise when you let off the gas when driving at a slow speed?

It sounds like the problem is a worn u-joint. Not a very expensive fix. Smile

'99 4Runner Limited 4WD
'76 Bronco Explorer 4WD
'76 Bronco Sport 4WD
RL-RRC View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Curator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RL-RRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2010 at 3:52am
that or a bad transmission/transfercase mount.
96 Lexus lx450
85 Toyota Truggy built by Don
02 Jeep WJ
Chance favors the prepared!

.bg. View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .bg. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2010 at 9:49am
Originally posted by RL-RRC RL-RRC wrote:

that or a bad transmission/transfercase mount.

This might be it considering where it seems to be coming from.
Thanks for the help!

Looks like I'm probably going to go the Toyota route, but I'll have them look at this specifically.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2010 at 2:32pm
Climb under and and shake everything or hit it with a rubber mallet. I worked on a Lexus that had a similar problem and it was a loose exhaust hanger.
J CROSS View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J CROSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2010 at 3:49pm

I would suggest you spend a lot of time here http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/ if you have'nt already.

A high engine idle can exaggerate drive line play.

If the front axle has not been fully serviced it should be, that is a critical maintenance item on the cruiser. The steering knuckle should be removed along with  the birfield and thoroughly cleaned and repacked with the proper amount of the proper grease.

I have read a lot of stories where people thought the dealership was doing a full axle service and found out later that all the did was repack the wheel bearings, huge difference.

Edited by J CROSS - 15 June 2010 at 3:58pm
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them"   Einstein
.bg. View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .bg. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2010 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by treeguy treeguy wrote:

Climb under and and shake everything or hit it with a rubber mallet. I worked on a Lexus that had a similar problem and it was a loose exhaust hanger.

Yeah, this was the first thing I tried. It sounds bigger than something I could bang around on my own.
.bg. View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .bg. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2010 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by J CROSS J CROSS wrote:

I would suggest you spend a lot of time here http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/ if you have'nt already.

A high engine idle can exaggerate drive line play.

If the front axle has not been fully serviced it should be, that is a critical maintenance item on the cruiser. The steering knuckle should be removed along with  the birfield and thoroughly cleaned and repacked with the proper amount of the proper grease.

I have read a lot of stories where people thought the dealership was doing a full axle service and found out later that all the did was repack the wheel bearings, huge difference.

I actually bought it off ih8mud a few years ago. It does have a high idle. You're likely right about this exasperating the issue. May do the O-Ring Fix once I get it back.

I'm almost positive the front axle service hasn't been done. I might as well go ahead and get this done while I'm at it. Any idea what a "full" axle service usually runs?

Thanks again for the help guys-
J CROSS View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J CROSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2010 at 11:52pm
$1200 to $1500 comes to mind but I am not sure, I did mine myself. It seems like I spent about $600 in parts, all new bearings and seals.
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them"   Einstein
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2010 at 12:49am
I wouldnt go back to Toyota dealer, for sure.  Danny at RCO can do all of the necessary service and repair on this rig.  You will pay a small fortune for Penny toyota to do it.  They are good, but incredibly expensive.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
4RUNNERB12 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2010 at 7:00pm
I also think it is a u-joint, not a bad idea to replace them all.  If someone shifts it into a forward or reverse gear while you are looking at the drive shaft you will most likely see the u joint move if it is worn out.  If you think it is a auto trans issue take it by Automatic Transmission Service on Washington, they are the cheapest in town.  And I also agree on rebuilding the front end yourself if it is an option for you, much cheaper; but I have read threads on mud about people not doing it until like 150-175k.

But as far as a shop RCO has always helped me out.  And Diehl Toyota is a dealeresk shop that is cheaper than Bill Penney.  Russell Brothers isn't bad either. 

Good luck
74 CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic