Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeep and Ram etc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep and Ram etc
    Posted: 01 November 2019 at 7:27am
From Slashdot:

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and PSA Group Are Merging To Become World's Fourth-Largest Automaker

This puts Alfa Romeo, Citroen, Chrysler, Dodge, DS, Fiat, Jeep, Maserati, Opel, Peugeot, Ram, and Vauxhall under a single corporate parent and merges operations. PSA Group boss Carlos Tavares will be CEO of the 11-person board, with FCA's John Elkann as chair. Fiat Chrysler and PSA said that the 50:50 merger should save more than $4 billion a year from "run-rate synergies without any plant closures."

This puts Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler, and Ram in with some really outstanding automotive company, none of which have ever had any real success in USA.  Opel perhaps in early 70s for a few years - remember the "Kadet"?  Back then, Opel was part of GM, I think.  Fiat?  Remember the X1/9?  Yeah, most people don't either.  It was correctly pronounced "X one nine" and was kinda the model on which the Pontiac Fiero and Toyota MR2 were based.  In 1982, the Fiat X1/9 became the Bertone X1/9, and persisted for a couple more years through Bertone, a company run by Malcom Bricklin, whose name you may recognize.  The Fiat 124 Spider (kinda like a MG) had some success, and the name has recently been reused on a rebadged Mazda Miata.  Its been difficult to convince American buyers to pay more for a rebadged Miata with a less reliable Fiat engine that makes more HP than the Mazda motor but results in a poorer performing car, and I just can't imagine why it hasn't flown off showroom floors.  The most recent Fiat 500 has had miserable sales in the US.  I had one as a rental on travel a couple years back, and it was not so awful, just bloody tiny.  I mean like tiny like I couldnt sit straight in the driver's seat because my shoulder was jammed against the B pillar tiny.

One of my first car resto projects was a 1970 Fiat 850 Sport Spyder, which belonged to a girl I was dating at the time (around 77 or so).  The engine had died on hers, and the car was a pukeworthy faded light blue with some forgettable interior color like white or dark blue.  She paid for all the parts for me to buy a wrecked, newer model which had a bigger engine and some other upgrades along with a black interior. I swapped everything over to her car, and she paid to have it painted British racing green.  It came out really well, and actually was fun to drive, albeit slow since it had only a 900CC engine.  I remember removing the dead motor and installing the bigger one by hand - no lift or hoist - it was small enough that I just wrestled it by hand.  I dont know what happened to her or the car.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
Recon View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2019 at 11:12am
The Opel Gt was a cool little car. It has a small GM emblem on the back window I think.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2019 at 1:05pm
Those Opel GTs were cool littler cars.  I had a buddy who had one back in the early 70s.  The other kinda similar car I always wanted back then was a Triumph GT6.  But we were trailer park poor and didn't have money for either one.
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic