Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Making a Driveshaft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making a Driveshaft
    Posted: 28 June 2019 at 7:56am
Doc's 4runner rear axle was moved back recently 2" from it's previous location. It was just enough to need to lengthen the rear driveshaft. Here's what we started with. 

2019-06-24_09-03-32 by Griffin93, on Flickr

We cut the ends off the old driveshaft. 

We put them in my manual lathe and machined off the old welds. 

The 'correct' tubing is not really available at the moment for the driveshafts as it's a real odd ball size. I cut a piece off in the bandsaw then faced and bored the ends in my cnc lathe. 

Assembled it on our jig table for rotational alignment. We just tack welded it at this point so we could bump it around if needed. 

Back to the manual lathe to check it's runout. Since I bored the tubing to be a very tight fit our runout was very good to start with. I got it down to 0.004" of total indicated runout. 

Checking the other end. 

Finished by welding it all up in some V blocks on our jig table. 

bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2019 at 8:55am
Looks good.

I have the heavy wall tubing for these. It is 2.75” OD x 2.4375” ID seamless tube. I’ve been buying it from EMJ metals. It is a press fit for the Toyota driveshaft ends. No machining required. Just saw it to length, tap the ends in, indicate it in, and weld. I have some very generic jigs I made years ago out of old transfer  case output shafts and bearings so I can indicate it in and be able to rotate it while I weld. Very basic, but it works.
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE................need I say more?   
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2019 at 6:09pm
I wasn't able to find that size in stock from any of our suppliers. Thanks for the heads up on EMJ metals. I'll keep that in mind after I use up this stick of tubing. I used 2.75 .188 wall tubing 1026 A513.

Edited by 83K10 - 28 June 2019 at 6:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic