Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need a new driveshaft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a new driveshaft
    Posted: 27 February 2019 at 6:45am
I need a new rear driveshaft for my 71 Bronco. The one on it is sloppy at the slip joint and the double cardon is in poor shape.
Is there someone local (HSV, Decatur, Athens..) that yall would recommend?
stout22

76 Bronco

302, EFI, C4 Auto, 4.3 Atlas, 3.5" lift, 1" body, locked d44 and Locked 9"
mrs. jpwrangler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
RCRC Membership Director

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrs. jpwrangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2019 at 8:35am
Paul was always happy with Tom Woods driveshafts.  A little more expensive, but if he broke it, they fixed it at no charge.  And we know he was pretty good at breaking them.  Ouch
Lee Anna Wright, RCRC Secretary/Membership Director
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2019 at 2:06pm
AFAIK the only DS shop in the area is our former club member Danny.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
stout22 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2019 at 6:38am
What is AFAIK?
I took it to Rocket City Off-road to be rebuilt.
stout22

76 Bronco

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2019 at 6:57am
Originally posted by stout22 stout22 wrote:

What is AFAIK?

You need to learn to use google or duck-duck-go.  These tools are your friend.

BRC Life Member
bpr View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2019 at 7:56am
How many people went and searched duckduckgo  Confused ?  LOL! 
2018 JL Rubicon Stock
78CJChic View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78CJChic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2019 at 8:04am
Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

Originally posted by stout22 stout22 wrote:

What is AFAIK?

You need to learn to use google or duck-duck-go.  These tools are your friend.

Sorry, Gramps. I'm not up to date on everything the kids are saying these days. Wink I still write in complete sentence, and I include punctuation. LOL  
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2019 at 8:15am
As Far As I Know (AFAIK), Rocket City Offroad (RCO) is only driveline shop in North Alabama (NAL).
Keith Bailey and his shop the Off Road Connection (ORC) is down on the North Side of Birmingham in the Fultondale area and has a driveline guy that works inside his shop with his equipment housed inside. Technically, it's a separate business I think but under the same roof because of Keith's consistent need for custom drivelines right there inside his shop.
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2019 at 7:45am
Originally posted by 78CJChic 78CJChic wrote:

Sorry, Gramps. I'm not up to date on everything the kids are saying these days. Wink I still write in complete sentence, and I include punctuation. LOL  

Are you sure?  Perhaps you should reread (and then rewrite as a full sentence) your first two words!  "Sorry, Gramps" is not a complete sentence.  It is obviously a diminution of "I am sorry, Gramps."

I urge you to GET up to date on what the kids are saying, because very soon "the kids" will be in charge and WE will either speak their language or become increasingly insular.  Change and grow and evolve or become irrelevant. 

When you see something that you dont understand, take the time to look it up.  Wikipedia (created by a guy from Huntsville, Al) and dictionary.com are both very reliable places to start.  When someone makes a claim that you find hard to believe, research it, and determine its veracity for yourself!  Duckduckgo (the search engine I use) has almost the sum of all human knowledge right at your fingertips.....why not use it?

AFAIK is commonly, frequently used in terse writing these days.  The earliest usage of it on this forum was in 2005 (by Al Dolney), and that's over 14 years ago.

Thus endeth the sermon.  Can I have an amen from the choir?

BRC Life Member
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2019 at 7:49am
Amen!
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
Recon View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 11:09am
10 plus years ago I needed a driveshaft modified in Montgomery. I was told by a guy at advance auto parts to call this truckstop and ask for someone named Catfish. Guy had it done next day. Looked like new.
1988 YJ 33s locker-down
1996 F150 4inch lift 33s
2005 6.0 F250 35s
2020 Gladiator 35s
2005 TJ 33s Lockers
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 11:49am

.......or become increasingly insular....... 

You say that like its a bad thing.  Tongue

On a side note, every DS I've ever bought was from Tom Woods.  Great products and fast turn around.
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by 98TJ 98TJ wrote:

On a side note, every DS I've ever bought was from Tom Woods.  Great products and fast turn around.

That's where Im going for my next one.

BRC Life Member
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2019 at 5:19pm
His shop is in Ogden, ut  if you are ever out that way.
78CJChic View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78CJChic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2019 at 9:16am

Are you sure?  Perhaps you should reread (and then rewrite as a full sentence) your first two words!  "Sorry, Gramps" is not a complete sentence.  It is obviously a diminution of "I am sorry, Gramps."

I urge you to GET up to date on what the kids are saying, because very soon "the kids" will be in charge and WE will either speak their language or become increasingly insular.  Change and grow and evolve or become irrelevant. 

When you see something that you dont understand, take the time to look it up.  Wikipedia (created by a guy from Huntsville, Al) and dictionary.com are both very reliable places to start.  When someone makes a claim that you find hard to believe, research it, and determine its veracity for yourself!  Duckduckgo (the search engine I use) has almost the sum of all human knowledge right at your fingertips.....why not use it?

AFAIK is commonly, frequently used in terse writing these days.  The earliest usage of it on this forum was in 2005 (by Al Dolney), and that's over 14 years ago.

Thus endeth the sermon.  Can I have an amen from the choir?

It's okay Doc. I know it's been a long time since you've had an English class, so I won't take it personally.

"Sorry, Gramps." Is a grammatically correct sentence. The subject is understood. I believe the English terminology is You Understood. It's the same thing as if someone gave someone a direct request. For example, you would tell your child "go clean your room". The subject is understood. You do not have to say "Timmy, go clean your room". You can Google it for more information. Wink 
stout22 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2019 at 1:10pm
Dang, all I wanted was info on getting a driveshaft and this thread erupts into an English class.
stout22

76 Bronco

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2019 at 4:50pm

It's okay Doc. I know it's been a long time since you've had an English class, so I won't take it personally.

"Sorry, Gramps." Is a grammatically correct sentence. The subject is understood. I believe the English terminology is You Understood. It's the same thing as if someone gave someone a direct request. For example, you would tell your child "go clean your room". The subject is understood. You do not have to say "Timmy, go clean your room". You can Google it for more information. Wink 

Incorrect.  On several counts.

You said "I still write in complete sentence" which is wrong on several counts.  First, the sentence immediately prior to the statement was NOT complete (on this point, I dont give a fart in a hurricane what Google says, I will stick with Harbrace), so its factually inaccurate given your intent (more on that in a second).  Second, it has a mismatched object.  It would have correct grammar to state (but still inaccurate) "I write in complete sentences,..." otherwise you have had to never written another sentence, which on second thought might be a good thing, or else you could have written "I wrote in a complete sentence, ..." 

No matter how you twist it, "sorry gramps" is not a complete sentence.  Its *meaning* might be well understood since its common slang and is a vernacular diminution, where the subject "I" and the verb "am" are understood or inferred.  I can also be pretty certain that you are NOT, in fact, sorry, so its inaccurate there as well.  Sorry means either despicable, which I know you arent, or apologetic, which I suspect you also aren't. 

I will stick with my Harbrace College Handbook for grammar. 

BTW, you actually argued my point for me.  You wrote "I write in complete sentence" which when spoken could be taken as "I write incomplete sentence" which I would argue is actually more accurate.  Your intent of course, was not "incomplete" but "in complete".  

Isn't English a stupid language?  This is more fun than I have had in weeks.

BRC Life Member
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2019 at 5:29pm
I passed English at UAH, but only because this chick I knew wrote my term paper for me.  She did a great job.  It was titled, Polonius as a Modern Day Promethius.

Edited by 98TJ - 04 March 2019 at 5:40pm
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 1:20am

This is more fun than I have had in weeks.

LOL! I've definitely enjoyed reading this thread!
~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

stout22 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2019 at 6:56am
Leave it to Doc to get his kicks out of arguing about proper English.
I was more into PE Big smile
stout22

76 Bronco

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic