Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Classified Ads > Wanted!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

toyota V6 Diffs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jarmumd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: toyota V6 Diffs
    Posted: 30 March 2017 at 10:20am
Looking for a toyota v6 diff.  Specifically the differential (don't need a housing).  Open is fine.  A broken true trac that I can swap parts from is preferred! 
1984 4runner
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2017 at 4:11pm
I have some V6 carriers, is there a problem with the True Trac?
1984 Toyota pickup, locked 5.29s, dual cases, Longfields, 22R with low range cam and header.
jarmumd View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jarmumd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2017 at 9:41pm
Yea, not a big deal but one of the end caps were cracked.  this resulted in the internal gears chewing up, and likely was the cause of the ring and pinion failing.  possibly the end cap was over torqued?

wasnt going to bug you about it, no way you would have known.  thinking i may go lunchbox in an open diff now.  Figured I would ask to see if people had diff centers just laying around.
1984 4runner
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2017 at 7:22am
Mark,
What ratio ring and pinion do you need? Reason I ask is I have a V6 4.56 gear set that I pulled out last week to go to 5.29s. If they'll work for you, you can have them.

John
jarmumd View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jarmumd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2017 at 10:15am
Nah, I bought new 5.29 gears, just need the carrier, not the gears or the housing.  If the internals weren't torn up, I'd see about having you machine a new end cap. 
1984 4runner
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2017 at 5:01pm
Marc,

I have some V6 carriers and a case if you can use them.  I also have a 8" high pinion carrier (uses the V6 side bearings, but 4 cylinder locker) if that helps as well.

John,

You don't have the 7.5 third that matches those 4.56 gears do you?
1984 Toyota pickup, locked 5.29s, dual cases, Longfields, 22R with low range cam and header.
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 7:58am
I don't have a matching 7.5 but I have a 7.5 out of a different truck. I'll have to check the ratio. I think its a 4.10 but I don't remember for sure.
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 6:41am
I was thinking about running the 4.56s in my '99 Tacoma, so the 7.5" diff/gears would have to be from that generation.  I know the newer generation gears in the front diffs are reverse cut, so I doubt the early IFS 7.5" gears would work in the newer cases.
CarboRunner View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarboRunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 7:22pm
John,

Did you just pull the gears out of the carrier and replace with 5.29s?  I have a 4.56 complete third member but it needs a new pinion bearing.  Can you replace the pinion bearing?  

Brian
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 8:35pm
Yes I did swap in 5.29s in a v6 third. Yes I can replace the pinion bearings. 
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2019 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Toydawg Toydawg wrote:

I also have a 8" high pinion carrier (uses the V6 side bearings, but 4 cylinder locker) if that helps as well.

What do you plan to do with this?  I might be interested in buying or trading something for it.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2019 at 7:42pm
Nothing in particular. I'm sure we can trade something if you want it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic