Forum Home Forum Home > General > Politics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Better hide that barrel, Brad!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Better hide that barrel, Brad!
    Posted: 16 June 2015 at 12:32am
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2015 at 8:16am
They can have my rain barrels when they pry them from my cold dead hands........... arms........ whatever.  I ain't worried, the law knows better than to come around Flatrock.   Smile
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
Doc Savage View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2015 at 8:35am
And that is why some of us live in the county instead of being "city folks" ;)

Robert
Past President, Rocket City Rock Crawlers
Past President, Madison County CERT Association
Mike_LaMar View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike_LaMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2015 at 5:18pm
Complete and utter ridiculousness! Old laws and absurd claims. Guess water and fuel may eventually make us road warriors.

Mike
2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 4" Superlift Suspension, 37" Toyo MTs

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member
Have you seen my 9/16" socket?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2015 at 2:24am
Ya'll would just love to have this guy living right next to your house right?  I mean the poorly maintained property and disheveled trailer look  great when you are trying to sell your own house.

Sometimes laws like this are a good thing when you live in a city in close proximity to your neighbors.....

If it were just about not paying utilities there would be something to be outraged about.  But you can live off the grid without destroying your neighbor's property values.
06 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited all torn apart.

Doc Savage View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2015 at 3:57am
Nope, let him live next to me. If I don't like what the property next to me is like, then I should buy it. Personal property is just that, PERSONAL. You do with it as you wish. laws (and covenants for that matter) that try to infringe on what you do with your property are wrong in my opinion. If I don't like my neighbor's property, then I have the option of blocking my view of it. There is a reason I put a privacy fence running the whole length of my property between my house and one of my neighbors. That's how you handle situations like that.

Robert
Past President, Rocket City Rock Crawlers
Past President, Madison County CERT Association
RL-RRC View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Curator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RL-RRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2015 at 8:35am
This is the dudes property. https://goo.gl/maps/VhF2h It has a tree line 100% around it so you can't see in it.
So he is not decreasing anyone's property values, its not an eye sore and its not unsafe to the public. What's his crime?
96 Lexus lx450
85 Toyota Truggy built by Don
02 Jeep WJ
Chance favors the prepared!

Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member
Have you seen my 9/16" socket?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2015 at 9:55am
 I fully agree that he's not harming anyone.  You are correct in that his property is hidden away.  In this case, I'd have to say let him be.

But what if he wasn't doing this in a secluded tree covered lot, but what if someone is pulling this same routine in a less discreet way?  There is a reason for these rules to exist in a municipality.  Does this need to be state law, federal law?  Absolutely not.  But within a city limits that has setup laws to keep this from happening?  The guy IS breaking the law.  Sorry.  Removing the law removes the ability to control trap houses and squatters in abandoned properties in denser populated areas.

I ain't got a dog in this fight, I live in the county.  But people get polarized into black/white opinions and tend to only focus on 1 part of the issue.  I used to be pretty anti medical marijuana until I was forced to see the other side of the issue.  Now I never look at any issue the same. 

I commend this guy for what he is trying to do.  He just needs to do it outside city limits, where it's legal or campaign to get the law/ordinance changed.

06 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited all torn apart.

RL-RRC View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Curator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RL-RRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2015 at 3:45am
All laws are not lawful and sometimes they need to be challenged.
I think these ordinances are so old for this subject that they need to have another look. Do you know its against city code to live in a dwelling that doesn't have water available that is at least 120 degrees? There should be a difference between owner occupied housing rules verses renter occupied.  20 plus years ago you never heard of people wanting to live self sustained. I believe there should be a mechanism for doing so just about any where but that's just my opinion.
96 Lexus lx450
02 Jeep WJ

78CJChic View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78CJChic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2015 at 7:11am
I haven't read all this, but from what I think I know...I could be wrong...can't he just hook up to HSV Utilities and feed his unused power back into the grid?...wouldn't HSV Utilities have to pay him for any power he supplies to them? Then, he would be hooked in and everyone could get over it.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2015 at 10:20am
I've heard of people doing that, getting solar and feeding it to the grid. Their power company pays them a check. Dunno about the water thing.
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2015 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by 78CJChic 78CJChic wrote:

I haven't read all this, but from what I think I know...I could be wrong...can't he just hook up to HSV Utilities and feed his unused power back into the grid?...wouldn't HSV Utilities have to pay him for any power he supplies to them? Then, he would be hooked in and everyone could get over it.

Yes, and Yes, but it would cost a lot to get the power connected, bring his solar system up to code etc etc.  Same with sewer.  A friend of mine who was on septic when the local municipality brought sewer into his area FORCED everyone to connect, and pay their own connection costs.  His was about $3500.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
RL-RRC View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Curator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RL-RRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2015 at 2:23am
From what I've seen his solar setup is maybe 150w at best. As you should all no just have electricity hooked up to your house causes you to pay a monthly availability fee around $10 even if you don't use one watt. And at the going buyback rate of 8 cents a kilowatt his solar setup could never even pay for the availability fee.

If you want to hear a good one about sewer my buddy just bought a new home last year in Harvest near wall-triana and yarbourogh in which his sub division has no sewer everyone has septic yet he is being forced to pay a sewer fee.
96 Lexus lx450
02 Jeep WJ

Mike_LaMar View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_LaMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2015 at 3:08pm
I've been in the area his house is in and knew it to be secluded. You're right Case, I wouldn't want it next door to my home. At least within 1000 meters. I have no idea how he procured the land But the whole mobile home can only be in a trailer park I think is bull. There should be a permit mechanism to ensure health and safety but just because an inspector isn't familiar with systems like waste composting doesn't mean it's not a viable alternative. I have seen a lot of redundant or antiquated things continue with the reason being "Well, that's how we've always done it."

On the other side of the coin, I would say this young man probably didn't fully exercise his due diligence either.

IIRC the solar buy back program is administered through TVA. Huntsville utilities gets their power from and receives oversight from TVA. There's quite bit of red tape and the equipment required to automatically switch the "push/pull" when you do have surplus power is somewhat cost prohibitive. When I had the solar project at the reserve center we had everything but storage capacity. The designed system was to reduce daytime utilities cost and any overage we had was to flow back into the grid and result in a buy back. At the time it was a good deal for the program that was set to expire in 2014 and was going to be a great cost savings for our little installation. The other program was peanuts comparatively. Wish I could remember details but it's been a couple years.
2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 4" Superlift Suspension, 37" Toyo MTs

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic