Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Club Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lots of questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hibbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lots of questions
    Posted: 19 May 2015 at 4:58am
So I got my first jeep last year.  I have always wanted one and now I can afford it.

I would like to go trail riding but nothing too extreme.  Im pretty sure I will get made fun of but its a new jeep and the thought of trashing it gives me the shakes! :)

Anyway just curious if you guys only do hard core rides or can beginners tag along?

Thanks
Tom
mrs. jpwrangler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
RCRC Membership Director

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrs. jpwrangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 5:12am
Hi Tom-
Here's some info about our club...
http://rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/about_us.htm

Our next club meeting is Thursday 6/4 at Newk's on University Drive.  This is the best way to get to know our club and what we have to offer.  We eat around 5:30 (optional), then the meeting starts at 6:30.  We typically discuss a little business, but also discuss on past and future club rides.  We’re a family oriented club and we try to make sure everyone can be involved, scheduling easy to difficult rides. 

Thanks for your interest in RCRC.  We look forward to meeting you soon.

Lee Anna Wright, RCRC Secretary/Membership Director
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 5:37am
You can't really go out in the woods without getting the rig muddy or dusty, and you are possibly going to get some "pinstriping" from small branches and blackberry limbs and such dragging down the side of the vehicle.  You will probably get muddy/dirty floorboards.  That's kind of a fact of life.  But you are very unlikely to do any damage on an easy ride.  We have rides, especially during the summer when its drier, that can be done in a stock vehicle with street tires and no lift.  My Daughter drove her daily-driver Wrangler Sport to the club property several times without incident, and she had only some slightly larger all-terrain tires.  This was the vehicle she was driving back and forth to Auburn at the time.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
hibbies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hibbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 6:07am
I dont mind the dirt and mud.  That cleans off.... Its the dents and damage I worry about.  I guess since I got payments on it that kind of stuff boters me.

Ive thought about going to stoney lonesome but kinda worried about going alone.  Im not an experience off roader.  I just want some fun driving in the woods.  I enjoy my jeep and the outdoors.

I may come on over to your meet on the 4th.  I head out to canada on the 6th for a week of canoeing so I should be free that day.

What kind of age brackets do you guys have?  Im 43 with a 14 year old and 10 year old sons.

Tom
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 9:57am
Tom,

You'll fit in. The age range of our club runs from 20s to 60s. Like LeeAnna said, we are a familiy oriented club, and many of mour members bring their children to meetings and on trail rides. We like to see people who are new to the "sport" as well, and tend to not make fun of folks who are learning how to drive off road. We want others to enjoy our "sport", and look forward to helping you figure out what you're doing. That's the best way to grow our community!

~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

BlackBird View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 12:25pm
What they said. I don't want damage to my Rubicon either but am willing to live with paint scratches on order to enjoy the offerings around here. We have rides that as long as you are ok with some tree limb scratches (I've buffed out most at home) and dragging the skid plates a bit (that is what they are for) you should be fine. No way I know of to avoid it all (desert riding?). I love stoney lonesome and their easy and some advanced trails would be fine for starters. My parents did it in their bone stock '14 jku sport and came away with just some clear coat scratches. I'd be happy to help on a ride if needed. Hope to see you around.
Michael Crandall
Monrovia Volunteer FF/Driver
Mine - 2024 Ram 2500 Rebel
Hers - 2023 Jeep GC 4xE Trailhawk
hibbies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hibbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 5:58am
I talked to my oldest son last night, 14, and we decided to come by newks and see you guys.  At the very least to check out your jeeps.

Do you guys sit in a certain area? Secret Handshake? 

Tom
78CJChic View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78CJChic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 6:37am
Come on out! We look forward to seeing you both. It is the Newk's on University. We'll be in the back room...Take a left past the counter and it's on the right. You can't miss us. No secret handshakes right now...we probably couldn't remember it if we had one. There are Jeeps and Toyotas and some others spread in and out of the mix. Some members bring their rigs to the meetings and some don't depending on logistics and road worthiness. We look forward to seeing you there.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 11:52am
Originally posted by hibbies hibbies wrote:

I dont mind the dirt and mud.  That cleans off.... Its the dents and damage I worry about.  I guess since I got payments on it that kind of stuff boters me.

Ive thought about going to stoney lonesome but kinda worried about going alone.  Im not an experience off roader.  I just want some fun driving in the woods.  I enjoy my jeep and the outdoors.

I may come on over to your meet on the 4th.  I head out to canada on the 6th for a week of canoeing so I should be free that day.

What kind of age brackets do you guys have?  Im 43 with a 14 year old and 10 year old sons.

Tom

Tom, another club member and I went out to Stony Lonesome a few weeks ago and it was super easy.  I'm usually ready to ride every weekend, just hit me up if you'd like to go somewhere? 
hibbies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hibbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 4:47am
Ok may do that.  Im booked up this weekend but soon....

Im looking at putting a lift on in the next few weeks.  just a 2.5 but should be pretty cool and will make it a little easier.

Tom
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 4:55am

Ok may do that.  Im booked up this weekend but soon....

Im looking at putting a lift on in the next few weeks.  just a 2.5 but should be pretty cool and will make it a little easier.

Tom

This is just my opinion, but I would go with at least a 4" lift. I would also stay away from coil spacer lifts and body lifts, more than an inch.
hibbies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hibbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 7:05am
Problem is this is my DD too.  Dont want to go too crazy on lift.  I feel that my main offroad will be easy trails etc.  Dont think I will do much rock crawling.  Of course things could change.

Tom
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 7:30am
My Rubicon is my DD too =). I've got some free time this afternoon, if you wanna meet up?
hibbies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hibbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 7:40am
We are heading out this weekend.  4 day weekend baby!

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 8:01am

We are heading out this weekend.  4 day weekend baby!

You leaving today?
hibbies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hibbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 8:32am

Later tonight.  Got baseball practice first. 

You work in huntsville?

Im on redstone aresenal
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 8:50am

Later tonight.  Got baseball practice first. 

You work in huntsville?

Im on redstone aresenal

I do work in Huntsville. Off Airport Rd.
hibbies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hibbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 9:22am
Maybe we can meet up sometime next week.  I can come out airport road easy.

Tom
BlackBird View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 9:51am
I thought I replied but looks like it didn't go.  I'd be careful going over 2.5" of lift on a JK, as that is the point issues start cropping up (looking at forums) unless you went with a much more extensive and expensive lift kit (drag link flip, geometry correction brackets or adjustable control arms, etc.).  I have a 2.5" spacer lift on mine and it does fine, although the dive during braking is a bit excessive IMO.  I'll eventually switch to taller coils instead of the spacers, but it's fine for extra clearance for now.  The longer coils would give a bit more articulation.  I recommend looking at all of the parts and instructions of the mopar kits to see what a complete kit should have in it (they are superlift kits plus more).  You'll see how far they go on the 4" to get it right, and it isn't cheap.
Michael Crandall
hibbies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hibbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 2:59pm
I'm looking at pulling the trigger on an aev2.5
BlackBird View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 2:11am
Those are nicely done.
Michael Crandall
BlackBird View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 11:55am
Had another thought on this.  Are you going with bigger tires also?  That leads to more to do to make things right.  You have to be mindful of how large to go based on the factory gearing and tire size (will lose performance).  Also, you'll have to get a programmer to tell the vehicle computer what size you went to so the ESP/ABS/BLD/TCS/speedo doesn't get all screwed up.
Michael Crandall
hibbies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hibbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 12:26pm
I have 4.10 gears. I wa thinking of a little bigger but nothing bigger than 35
BlackBird View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 10:16am
4.10 should be fine to approach 35".  I'm on the stock 32" mudders right now but will go to a ~34" when they are worn out.  I'll use a superchips traildash to do the computer fix and add a bit of power to make up for that lost by going to the bigger tires.
Michael Crandall
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 10:22am

I have 4.10 gears. I wa thinking of a little bigger but nothing bigger than 35

Should be fine with 4.10's and 35's.  That's what I've got and it does great, on and off road.  If I were to change gears, I would go to 4.56 or 4.86.

However, if you go 35's, I would do at least a 4" lift.

I PM'ed you, lemme know what you think?
BlackBird View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 9:57am
JKs can do 35s with a 2.5" lift but might rub just a tad unless you limit with bump stop extensions.  If you go with flat fenders it clears fine.  
Michael Crandall
hibbies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hibbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 2:35pm
Just ordered the aev 2.5
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic