Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Public and OHV Park Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hawk Pride Mtn, Valentines Day 2015

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawk Pride Mtn, Valentines Day 2015
    Posted: 16 February 2015 at 6:24am
This was a somewhat impromptu ride with an eclectic mix of members, official visitors, guests and non-members.

Members/Guests:
Eric Reid/K.E. Streeter
Jason Maples/Laura Maples
Official Visitor:
Matt Peters
Non-Members w/Jeeps:
Tambra Hughes
Greg Posey/Lisa Posey

Met in town in Tuscumbia. Rolled in five TJ Jeep convoy to Hawk Pride Mtn OHV. No park attendant was on duty so I left a note and contact number and we proceeded in.  Came down Big Hill into the park (spectacular vista) and meandered through some trails; Cane Creek, Riners Run, Slick Hill Run, Bacon, Charlies Trail and Luckys Loop (most challenging trail navigated, a level 3-4. See below for rating details). Stopped for snack break and went off to the mud pits where everyone took a run at getting stuck, with some succeeding :) Notable were Matt knocking his driver front tire off the rim in a mud pit that had a particularily sharp drop off and Jason turning his Rubi on 35's with a 5.5" lift into a four wheeled paddle boat with no paddles in a innocent looking bottomless mud hole. Everyone was extracted successfully and returned to service with no issues. We moved on to Maynards trail where Jasons Rubi developed an overheating issue that we could not solve by adding fluids. Matt got the opportunity to tow Jason down Maynard and up Mountainside trail. At a steep section near the top of Mountainside Matt ran into traction issues at which point we put the Posey's Rubi in the mule train with Matt and pulled all to the top of the hill where it was flat enough that Matt could finish the tow back to the main office, where, suprisingly, there was still no attendant...unusual. Using Matt's Jeep, Jason was towed back to Tuscumbia where he was met by family members with a trailer for the ride home. All in all a good day with some challenges successfully overcame by the team for good measure. Saw a picture on facebook of a Jeep windshield banner that said, Been There, Got Stuck, What's Next? Shared it with Matt and Jason and reminded them it was all to be expected in a days Jeepin'! Gotta' Luv It!

Note to Membership Coordinator: As Jason and I were there, Matt Peters can now have credit for his 2nd RCRC ride. Thx!!

FYI - There are many pics on facebook on Jason Maples timeline, and I am putting together a small video for YouTube which I will post here this evening.
Eric Reid/02-16-15
VIDEO LINK:

Hawk Pride Trail Rating System
Level 1–Acceptable for any driver skill level and stock 4×4′s, passable in 2wd except in adverse weather conditions
Level 2–Passable by most high clearance 4×4′s with minimum 31″ tires recommended, 4wd lo-range required alot
Level 3–Vehicle modifications and high level driver experience and/or spotter recommended…..33″ tires and rear locker or winch at minimum (body damage possible)
Level 4–Extreme trails reserved only for the most well equipped rigs and drivers…..35″ tires, 2 lockers, and winch highly recommended (mechanical breakage possible, body damage likely)
Level 5–Hard core territory……only the craziest drivers with total disregard for breakage and body damage need apply. Consider a full roll cage, 38″ tires, lockers, winch, spare parts, a good spotter, a big roll of toilet paper, and extra set of underwear the minimum requirements

Edited by OleYeller - 17 February 2015 at 3:06am
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2015 at 8:37am
That was well said, my friend!

Let me add to this. Yesterday, I checked my stat, water pump, hoses, and radiator. All seemed to be in excellent working order, except the radiator... The cooling fins were packed full of mud... And I believe there was a tiny pinhole leak in it as well... Decided to go ahead and install a new 195 stat, water pump, radiator and cap. Hopefully, she'll be running cool after tonight?

At least no mud found its' way into my cooling system!

Eric, I'm gonna get that sticker made for my windshield =)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2015 at 5:23pm
I still need to get my tire remounted, but my decal is on the way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic