Forum Home Forum Home > General > Politics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Firearm Safety - Not

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Firearm Safety - Not
    Posted: 27 February 2014 at 3:33am
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/25/man-shoots-himself_n_4853983.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Remember Jeff Cooper's Rule #1: "Handle all guns as if they were loaded."
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2014 at 8:30am

Me thinks he violated all of four of Mr. Cooper's rules, including the unspoken fifth rule: Don't do anything stupid, like handling guns when you are drunk, drugged, or demented.  He probably considered rule #5 a blinding glimpse of the obvious.

BTW: I knew a LT in the Army (USMA grad, no less) who shot himself in the hand 'proving' a M1911A1 won't fire when the muzzle is pressed into an object.  Unfortunately for him, it's the M-9 (Beretta M92F), not Mr. Browning's 100 year old masterpiece that operates in said manner... Ouch

1984 Toyota pickup, locked 5.29s, dual cases, Longfields, 22R with low range cam and header.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2014 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Toydawg Toydawg wrote:

BTW: I knew a LT in the Army (USMA grad, no less) who shot himself in the hand 'proving' a M1911A1 won't fire when the muzzle is pressed into an object.  Unfortunately for him, it's the M-9 (Beretta M92F), not Mr. Browning's 100 year old masterpiece that operates in said manner... Ouch 

My dad showed me that "trick" with a 1911 when I was about 10.  Never thought about trying it with a Beretta.  I bet that was painfull.

I about shot myself in the face one night working on an "unloaded" 1911 when we lived in Flint City.  I was positive the thing was unloaded after ratching the slide a few times, but I pulled the trigger just to make sure.  Made a nice clean hole in the roof of our detached garage after passing a few inches from the end of my nose.  I figured that round came down somewhere over near Minor Tire.
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2014 at 8:32am

My rule number one has always been "Never place your finger on the trigger until you intend to put a hole in whatever is in front of the muzzle". If you follow that rule, you should be good. That guy probably went to the same firearms instruction course as the ijit who tagged along with us on the 2nd Ammendment ride.

~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2014 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Toydawg Toydawg wrote:

...M1911A1 won't fire when the muzzle is pressed into an object. 
Actually, Mr. Browning wonderful invention does have this feature, as do most automatic pistols. I would not ever consider it a bright idea to test it with a loaded firearm. It is part of the function test after reassembly. For the M1911 series, I believe the muzzle must be depressed 1/8 of an inch.
~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

Mike_LaMar View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_LaMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2014 at 3:20pm
I don't know if even Bruce Lee could effectively do that under a situation where some one was seriously pointing it at him. We sat around a bunch of times trying it with a condition four M9. It takes enough pressure to "rock" the upper slide back that the shooter would definitely shoot the defender.

Mike
2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 4" Superlift Suspension, 37" Toyo MTs

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2014 at 8:38am
Originally posted by mikeanddepsy mikeanddepsy wrote:

I don't know if even Bruce Lee could effectively do that under a situation where some one was seriously pointing it at him. We sat around a bunch of times trying it with a condition four M9. It takes enough pressure to "rock" the upper slide back that the shooter would definitely shoot the defender.

Mike
Chuck Norris could! LOL
~Sean

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

Mike_LaMar View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_LaMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2014 at 9:33am
Chuck Norris would freeze the action with his cold stare.LOL
2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 4" Superlift Suspension, 37" Toyo MTs

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic