Forum Home Forum Home > General > Laws and Land Use Issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reatilers working against us!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reatilers working against us!!!!
    Posted: 01 December 2012 at 1:45am
BRC's message pasted below.  If you do nothing else with this, be sure to look at the 100 outdoor retailers linked document and STOP BUYING FROM THESE COMPANIES and tell them why!!!  This is a good example of the info and activities which BRC accomplishes, and why I support them instead of SFWDA.  Without BRC, I would never have known that, for example, Camelbak, North Face, and Petzel are working to shutdown my access to Moab.  Full disclosure - I am a BRC life-member.

============================

A Message From BRC's Executive Director

Dear BRC Members and Supporters,

Must Read Editorial
I want to encourage everyone to read Brian Hawthorne's editorial this week.  I give you fair warning, what the National Park Service (NPS) is doing here is outrageous. NPS Oyster Stew - Betrayal Deja Vu

When I watched the associated video Brian linked to, I was outraged, but I cannot say I was surprised. The vicious betrayal by the NPS of a family owned oyster farm is outrageous, but the fact that they used trumped up science to do it seems to me sadly typical of today's U.S. Department of Interior. I have been all across the US on my Turn the Tide Tour, and have seen this literally from Cape Hatteras on the Atlantic to Point Reyes on the Pacific. 

Best available science my eye! More like "most convenient trumped-up allegation."

Science in the Department of the Interior has become a joke, and the agency should be ashamed. I can't help but ask, "At what point does the personal opinion of agency leadership outweigh actual public policy?" You shouldn't be able to twist the science and rewrite history to suit your agenda.  

While we are on the subject of the DOI
Here is a quick Update on the Canyonlands Monument proposal. I want to thank our supporters who responded to our recent blast on the proposal to designate a massive new National Monument in southeastern Utah.

The issue has gotten a lot of national media attention, including in key Washington DC based natural resource newsletters.

In our update, BRC's Brian Hawthorne noted

"I have been personally involved in numerous collaborative efforts to determine how these prized recreational lands are managed, both as a recreationist who loves visiting the area and also as a representative of the BlueRibbon Coalition, a national OHV advocacy group. 
           The Outdoor Industry Association's advocacy arm has lost all credibility. Their letter requesting that President Obama establish a new National Monument is nothing less than an end-run around local and state efforts to consider how best to protect these lands. Their requests pulls the rug out from under those who will be most likely to be impacted by land use decisions - local citizens - as they hammer out compromises."

Indeed, San Juan County is an example of how to do it right. This last Monday, the County and the Navajo Nation signed a formalized agreement to "work together in the spirit of mutual respect and cooperation to recognize and consider how to effectively manage the outstanding natural, cultural and recreational resources on state and federal lands in San Juan County, as well as the socio-economic conditions for the enhancement of the quality of life for all San Juan County residents."

Mark Maryboy, the County representative for the Navaho Nation was quoted as saying:

"Navajos have always felt that the local people, whether they be Navajo or non-Navajo, should be at the forefront of discussing public lands."
Maryboy added that the proposed Greater Canyonlands National Monument effort, which has received support from a variety of national groups, should begin as a local effort.

Sadly, 100 outdoor retailers disagree. They seem to be doubling down on their request for President Obama to do an "end run" around these local collaborative efforts, and unilaterally designate a massive 1.4  million acres National Monument. 

Read about the San Juan County/Navaho Nation agreement here:
San Juan County and Navajo Nation to coordinate land use efforts

The issue has also brought some much needed attention on a very dangerous lawsuit filed by the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance (SUWA).  After years of sitting dormant, it has been resurrected in the U.S. District Court in Utah, and could close some of the most nationally significant motorized recreation trails in Moab, Cainville and the San Rafael Swell.

Whatever the threat, BRC is committed to defend OHV recreation across the U.S. As Hawthorne noted in his editorial, we aren't surprised by much anymore. Just resolved to fight harder.

Thank you all for your support,
Greg Mumm
Executive Director
BlueRibbon Coalition

Learn about the SUWA lawsuit in our most recent Utah update 

Support our Legal Program

The BlueRibbon Coalition is a national recreation group that champions responsible recreation, and encourages individual environmental stewardship. With members in all 50 states, BRC is focused on building enthusiast involvement with organizational efforts through membership, outreach, education, and collaboration among recreationists. The Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) season is here. Federal employees, please mark BlueRibbon Coalition and Check #11402 on your CFC pledge form to support our efforts to protect your access. Join us at 1-800-258-3742 or http://www.sharetrails.org

As a non-profit, grassroots organization funded primarily by membership dues and donations, we greatly appreciate your support. Visit http://www.sharetrails.org/make-a-difference-now to help fund our efforts to protect your trails!

"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2012 at 10:29am
I definitely won't be purchasing products from any of those companies!
~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

unlblkrubi View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlblkrubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2012 at 10:58am
If anybody has ever been out west and seen how outdoor activities are abundant a few 4x4er's boycotting won't do much.  The 4x4 community is way out numbered by the back country hikers, climbers, snow skiers, bikers, rafters etc. These are the people that line the pockets of these retailers.  Thankfully my father took us out there every chance he had while I was growing up and I've tried to get out there as often as the wife and I could. If we lost it all tomorrow at least I can say I've been there and done it.
'18 Renegade Trailhawk
'15 JKUR-Warn-AEV-Rigid-KC-ARB

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic