Forum Home Forum Home > General > Politics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"right to repair"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "right to repair"
    Posted: 19 October 2012 at 12:54am
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 3:01am
This sounds like it's geared to the small shops (which I do appreciate but rarely need) as I do most all of my own repairs whenever possible.  I wonder the wording of the bill and how it would protect those doing their own diagnostics with OBDII readers and the almighty Google?  Perhaps my vehicles are not new enough to have anything not-diagnosable using those two tools.  
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 3:13am
I'm generally pretty against more government regulation but this is getting pretty ridiculous. Even on a dealership level the automakers hold information back. We had a problem when I was at the dealer where they wouldn't allow technicians to see all the fault codes. We had a customer come in with a problem and no fault codes. The field service engineer got involved and was bitching at us for not going through the test plan for this fault code. The thing was, we couldn't see this fault code on our factory diagnostic equipment because it wasn't an authorized technician fault code. This is absolutely unacceptable.

ODB2 was supposed to address some of this but the problem is the cars have gotten to much more advanced that the obd requirements won't even allow you to read all engine control unit fault codes anymore with an obd2 code reader. There's systems that exist that weren't even thought about when obd2 came about. We have multiple cars with variable valve timing and even some with variable valve lift. Most have gone to throttle by wire. There's some cars with multiple fiber optic data buses. Then you have all the mandated tire pressure monitor systems for which there is no standard reset procedure or tool. We counted all the possible control units in a fully decked out 760i one day. It's possible to have 82 separate computer control units in a single car. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic