Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone ever done a SAS on a 2wd toyota??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmead20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone ever done a SAS on a 2wd toyota??
    Posted: 27 March 2012 at 2:24pm
Has anyone ever done a 2wd SAS on a toyota? I've seen some threads about it on other websites but nothing gives me enough info to know what parts I need. I've already got a transmission and transfercase.  I'm planning on doing it on my 89 pickup. I would like to know what is needed in order to do the conversion and what I may be looking at for cost (cheapest possible) . Any tips and help would be good. It's been a few years since ive been on the trails and would like to get back out there and not drivin my dads truck!
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2012 at 1:47am
Honestly, unless you've got a ton of parts laying around and are a proficient fabricator, it will be cheaper to sell the 2WD and buy a 4WD.

We've done it. I've got a buddy building a '92 2WD right now.

You need the following as a bare minimum just to make it 4wd:
front axle
4WD rear axle
4WD trans
T-case
Driveshafts F/R
Crossmember
SAS spring hanger kit
brake lines
shock hoops
shocks
U-bolts F&R
leaf springs
Crossover steering
torch or plasma cutter
welder

This is not including rebuilding or upgrading the axles or all the little things you will have to make trips to the parts store to get. This will cost you a lot more than you expect.

TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE................need I say more?   
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2012 at 2:14am
Some of the guys on Pirate say it's easier to convert a 2WD to a rockcrawler than a 4WD, but I wonder if they are just showing off their hardcore web wheeling skills.   Ermm  Regardless, like Bluetoy said you will have to swap a lot of stuff.  If you decide to go ahead and do it I have a lot of said stuff laying around (F/R axles, driveshafts, crossmembers, springs, geared thirds, etc.) that I'd like to move.   
1984 Toyota pickup, locked 5.29s, dual cases, Longfields, 22R with low range cam and header.
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2012 at 2:55am
There is less stuff to cut off the frame on a 2WD versus an IFS 4WD and the frame has the bigger arc above the axle like a factory solid axle truck. It allows or more up travel than an IFS 4wd frame. So, there is a plus side to using the 2WD frame.  

Easier to build than factory 4wd? Not really.
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE................need I say more?   
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2012 at 9:22am
After I thought about it, 'easier' was the wrong choice of words on my part; I think they meant a 2WD makes for a 'better' end product.  
1984 Toyota pickup, locked 5.29s, dual cases, Longfields, 22R with low range cam and header.
bmead20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmead20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2012 at 2:31pm
How much would let all the 4wd parts go for Toydawg? I still want to do it because the price of a 4wd toyota in decent shape is pretty high.  I have some family that are willing to help over the course of a few weekends.  So you think a 110 welder would do the job? 
bmead20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmead20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2012 at 5:16pm
my main ? is what is going to be my total cost to have my truck 4wd ready to go on the trsils???
87-toy View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87-toy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 1:32am
I think the cheapest way on the trail would be find a 4wd truck throw on some good tires on it and ride.  If you look on all the message boards and Craiglist you can find a truck cheaper than building one if you don't have the parts or the tools need to build one.
 I may know where an early 80s model is if you are interested.
Toyota
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 2:03am
I think your in over your head based on the questioned you've asked. If you expect to do this in a few weekends you'll be very disappointed. Everything you do will nickle and dime you. I bet you'll put $3000-4000 in it before it's ready to ride. This is of course depends on what parts you already have and what deals you can find. It also depends on if you are doing a doubler or not, doing regeared thirds, upgraded birfields,  cage, etc. As others have said, I think your better off selling the 2wd and buying the 4wd. 
grcthird View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grcthird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 7:45am
If I had it to do over again, I'd buy a rig already put together.  I have way more in mine than what more capable rigs with better parts are selling for. Buy one and spend several hundred making it just like you want and hit the trails. All that build time is time you can be out riding.
85 Toyota pickup with 85lbs of bondo, 33" TSLs, Spool, Warn winch, 63" chevy's, Ruf, cage and other preowned parts.
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2012 at 8:08am
Originally posted by bmead20 bmead20 wrote:

my main ? is what is going to be my total cost to have my truck 4wd ready to go on the trsils???
Your cost is going to depend on how much you have to pay to get all the stuff Bluetoy listed in his initial response. There is no 'conversion kit' with all the necessary parts included. Like others have said, it will probably be cheaper to buy a 4wd from the start, especially if you're only building one truck. People who have been tinkering with these vehicles for years usually have leftover parts from their "parts trucks" and earlier projects.  As an example of prices; I could set you up with a spooled rear axle on 4.88s and Chevy springs for $300.  If you want other stuff (matching 4.88 third, birfields, locking hubs, brake calipers, driveshafts, etc) I'd make you lot price.  BTW: I no longer have a front axle housing for sale.  Complete stock front axles usually sell for $250+, FYI.Wink
bmead20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmead20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2012 at 5:16pm
Well i my dad does have 2 85 4runners, One completly built and ready to go that needs the motor rebuilt (thanks to me) and one stock that needs the motor rebuilt (bought it that way) that has been sittin in a garage for over 5 years. I may see if he could use some cash instead of a truck sittin in his garage! But id like to buy a rig already to go that i would have to make no mods on because i work at a hotel! 
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 12:35am
That would definitely be your fastest route, IMO.  Rebuilding an engine would take much less time and $$$ than gathering and cobbling together all the 4WD parts onto a 2WD truck.  Oh, and if your dad decides to move the other truck let me know...Big smile  
87-toy View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87-toy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 11:43pm
 84 Yota truck as a whole $2000 obo http://bb.tennesseeoffroad.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=168791&gonew=1#UNREAD 

Edited by 87-toy - 02 April 2012 at 11:47pm
Toyota
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic