Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UA to play Bob Jones High School

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UA to play Bob Jones High School
    Posted: 12 September 2011 at 3:52pm
I took each of our two football teams and listed their schedule.  For each team they play, I listed their ranking, and if they are unranked, they get a 26.  Add up the rankings of the teams scheduled to play, and you get a numerical indicator of the relative difficulty of the schedule.  Obviously, lower numerical total means harder schedule.

Alabama's Schedule:

Kent State - 26
Penn State - 23
North Texas - 26
Arkansas - 14
Florida - 16
Vanderbilt - 26
Ole Miss - 26
Tennessee - 26
(open)
LSU - 3
Mississippi State - 26
Georgia - 26
Auburn - 21

total:  259

Auburn's schedule

UTAH STATE - 26
MISSISSIPPI STATE - 26
Clemson - 26
FLORIDA ATLANTIC - 26
South Carolina - 10
Arkansas - 14
FLORIDA - 16
LSU - 3
OLE MISS - 26
open
Georgia - 26
SAMFORD - 26
ALABAMA - 2

Total 227

Alabama plays one team currently ranked in the top 10 this whole season?  Excluding Auburn, they play only 3 ranked teams?  Am I missing something?  Does the Alabama scheduling staff have pictures of NCAA leadership with farm animals?

Auburn's schedule is weak, but not like the Tide's.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2011 at 4:14pm
How long do you think Auburn can hang on to that 21?  Smile
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
mrs. jpwrangler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
RCRC Membership Director

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrs. jpwrangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2011 at 1:22am
Originally posted by 98TJ 98TJ wrote:

I don't know... but they are giving me chest pains!  Confused
Lee Anna Wright, RCRC Secretary/Membership Director
NOT4HWY View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOT4HWY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2011 at 2:08am

If the defense doesn't get better-not long. Hell-I thought State was going to win by 21-what do I know. 
Club member since 1992, Club President 1995-1999 Trail rig:S-Blazer,Rockwells,507 Caddy,T-400,203/205, Tow-rig: '23 F350 4x4
BamaBleach View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BamaBleach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2011 at 5:36am
Actually, most football "experts" would tell you that they both have pretty difficult schedules, especially Auburn.  When the preseason rankings came out there were 8 SEC teams included and Auburn had to face each of the other 7.  The NCAA doesn't have anything to do team schedules, but the conference does (somewhat). 

In the SEC, you play each team in your division each year and it rotates between home and away.  You also have 1 team from the opposing division that you play each year that also rotates home and away.  For Auburn, it's Gerorgia; for Alabama, it's Tennessee.  To round out the conference schedule you play 2 additional teams from the other division and those teams are on a 2 year rotation (one year at home and one year on the road).  This year for Auburn that is South Carolina and Florida; for Alabama it's Vandy and Florida.  The SEC also decides which weeks those conference games will be played and it's up to the universities to fill out the rest of their schedule with out of conference games. 

For OOC scheduling it looks like Auburn and Alabama both use the same approach: have one "big name" OOC game and fill out the rest of the schedule with cupcakes.  You play the cupcake games for 2 reasons: (1) easy win that allows you to work out kinks with your team and develop depth with younger players (2) cupcakes don't require a "home-and-home" series so you can always play those games at your house which brings in revenue to boost the local economy. 

As far as the big OOC game goes, over the past couple of years Auburn has played teams like West Virigina and Clemson.  While neither team doesn't appear to be setting the world on fire right now, when those games were scheduled they were looked at as big games because both were having a lot of success on the field.  Likewise, Alabama has played Clemson, VaTech, and Penn State over the past few years. 

I would break it down like this:
Big OOC game: AU=Clemson / UA=PennSt
Cupcakes: AU=UtahSt, FAU, Samford / UA=KentSt, North Texas, GSU
East Rival: AU=UGA / UA=Tenn
West: same
East Rotation: AU=Florida, USC / UA=Florida, Vandy

The only significan difference between Alabama and Auburn this year is with the eastern division schedule.  They both play Florida but Alabama also plays Vandy while Auburn adds South Carolina.  Last year was sort of a flip (as far as schedule toughness) with Alabama playing South Carolina and Auburn playing Kentucky. 

alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2011 at 6:36am

That isnt the point.  I completely get it that AU doesnt have a killer team this year, and I fully expect to assist UA in its high win-to-loss ratio.

BRC Life Member
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2011 at 8:30am
Well BJHS is 3-0 and beat the crap out of a heavily favored Hazel Green 52-7 week before last.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 2:36am
Bob Jones is 4-0 and beat Grissom at homecoming 63-0 last Friday.  I don't believe the Tide would want them on their schedule now.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 3:28am

I’ve often wondered how the best high school football team would do against a really low level college team like N Texas.  Or the best college team, like AU last year, would do against the worst NFL team.

alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 4:46am

Or the best college team, like AU last year, would do against the worst NFL team.

Cam Newton should be able to answer that, since he's played QB on both.  LOL

BRC Life Member
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 4:55am
What I have seen out of him in the first two games; if he doesn't get hurt, he will re-write the NFL record books.
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member
Have you seen my 9/16" socket?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 6:55am

I’ve often wondered how the best high school football team would do against a really low level college team like N Texas.  Or the best college team, like AU last year, would do against the worst NFL team.

There is to much size and speed difference between a high school junior/senior and a college sophmore/junior.  Crappy colleges are still getting the top 10% of high school athletes and those athletes have another couple of years of training/practice (which is huge).  Even the best high school team would have to overcome gigantic, glaring mismatches vs a crappy college team. 
06 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited all torn apart.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2011 at 8:56am

In Texas, the high school stadiums are as big as college stadiums.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic