Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

78 CJ-5 Build Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 78 CJ-5 Build Thread
    Posted: 18 April 2010 at 4:20pm

I have reached the 1/4 point on my build...so I figured it was time to post.  I am a new member(Joined Jan 2010).  I have been on the forum for about 6 months.  I have however owned my jeep for going on 13 years.  I got the jeep when I was 14, my dad thought it would be a good resto project for us.  I will try and pull up some old picture of before it was restored.  Anyways here is what I started with on this build

The roll cage, 4 inch lift and the seats were already there prior to this build.

The purpose of this build is to get a stronger drive--train with lockers, a wider wheel base and more flexibility.  I will not be as detailed or as entertaining as Case but this will allow me to share the build with friends and family.

This is a picture right before we started tearing it down, notice I already sold my tires...and the addition of a bent fender on my last ride.

Here are the axles torn down and ready to be built.  I will be building a D44 and a D60.  I will be running 5.38s and Detroits front and rear.  The axles so far have been the most frustrating part of the build.  I originally traded a old jeep for a D44 and a D60 out of a J20 truck.  This would have given me a 67" WMS-WMS.  Since I intended on running H1s this was Ideal.  The only problem was Jeep offset their D60 roughly half way from a Center and "offset" axle, this allowed the J20 to run both an offset (Like a quadratrac) and a center out put transfer case.  Due to my lack of attention to detail, I traded the axles, none the wiser.  I proceeded to buy D44 ( thank you Mr Cash) for various parts like High steer that was toed in to run H1s, Internal Hubs and an extra set of disc brakes for the rear. I also took advantage of the 5.13s laying round.

Current Axle Count at this point is 1 D30 + 1 AMC 20 + 2 D44 + 1 D60= 5. After many sleepless nights, the offset rear got to me.  I decided I wasn't going look like an idiot with an offset D60 on a Center output Transfer Case.  This left 2 options A) buy another axle B) convert the entire system to a quadratrac.....I chose option A.  So I went back axle shopping.  I found a recently built D60 with a Detroit and 5.38 gears,  of course as we are buying this axle out from under a Truck the seller mentions an extra D60 just laying around.  So we worked out a package deal, and I ended up with 2 more D60s.  Final axle count is 7, and one extra set of 5.13s

This has been the going joke of the guys helping me build this thing.  BTW if anyone is in need on an axle, please PM me might have an extra. But I digress....

We new the build wouldn't get any where if we built the axles first...really who enjoys building axles, so we let the axles sit striped and ready for building.   We decided to start trimming the fenders and any extra parts.  We went with a half comp cut, the pictures should explain.

Copey setting up the cut

and you see we came in right by the fill nozzle.  This means we don't have to fill in the gas filler hole, and will put a dummy cover in its place.

Finished cut

I stayed distracted by pulling out the front axle, so I wouldn't be a nervous wreck as he cut a perfectly good fender well...hmmm seems like someone else I know did this.

and the other side

By the end of the day everything was striped off the front and rear....even the gas tank.

Now it was time to start building it up

We started with the rear springs since we had a built axle and it would be alot easier to get it in.

This is what the rear looks like prior to any mods

Copey is cutting out the back so we can access the rear frame for the wheel base extension.

Here is the proposed extension.  This involves flipping the bracket and moving it out 3 inches.  This moves the rear end out a total of 7 inches. 

We used 2x2x1/4 tubing and slid it roughly 12 inches into the frame rail.  We then welded up all available holes on the sides and the rear...Its not going any where.

I didn't get any pictures of moving the front brackets, anyways we installed the 4" lift springs that were on it previously to see how it sat.

We figured it would sit 10" higher then it currently was. After some consultation form JRT Offroad along with some reassurance from Case Rock Crawler extraordinar, we reconsidered and used some other springs that I happen to have laying around.

We noticed the benefits immediately, the shackle placement looked better, we had better "droop" and it still left plenty of room for the Tire.

We then worked on getting the pinion angle right and we tacked the perches in.  It started getting dark, but they allowed me to put tires on the rear to see how it set.

At first it was bothersome because of all the extra wheel well room,  but after some further analysis. The combination of Copey's driveway having a slight grade a low tire pressure and  really really soft springs....We tested the theory by jacking up this side and leveling out the axle..... the damn thing just flexes real good.    I didn't get a chance to take a picture after the "adjustment", imagine the tire up another couple inches or so.  I appreciate the advice provided by "Cases build Thread" team.  I think in the end I will have a low CG jeep with a longer wheel base and wider track.

Next to come  building and out boarding a D44, installing a Fuel Cell, and rock rings.

Edited by 78CJ - 02 May 2010 at 7:34am
JRTOffroad View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRTOffroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2010 at 2:50am
Looks awesome TJ!  Sorry we couldn't stick around longer.
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member
Have you seen my 9/16" socket?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2010 at 3:08am
Awesome progress!

I'll try and remember to shoot you a PM with a link to the program I use to resize photos.  It'll do a batch of photos and rename em automagically.  Handy to have for  a LOOOOOONG build thread.

BTW you haven't seen my 9/16 socket have you?!
06 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited all torn apart.

alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2010 at 4:09am
Originally posted by Case Case wrote:

I'll try and remember to shoot you a PM with a link to the program I use to resize photos. 
I use jpegsize.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
scoutman View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Lame Duck Past Pres, Fab Guy & Club Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2010 at 4:45am
Bigger picts please.  Tongue  Nice progress...
76 Scout II in pieces
96 Jeep XJ 33's
99 Jeep XJ Limited
06 Dodge 3500
W5LZQ
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2010 at 5:50am

Looking good!!

Originally posted by JRTOffroad JRTOffroad wrote:

Looks awesome TJ!  ....

TJ??  Jeep recognition classes will be held starting April 27 at the Oak Grove Community Center.

Originally posted by Case Case wrote:

...BTW you haven't seen my 9/16 socket have you?!

Are you still missing that thing?  What's it look like?  I’ll keep a watch for it in my wanderings.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 1:30am
I took a build detour yesterday, and some guy paid me to tow a Red '97 TJ  out of his back yard...I figure I can sell it for scrap metal, it looks like he got the better end of the deal Wink

Who knows, I might even build it up and let the wife have it
mavereq View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mavereq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 2:49am
post up some pics of the red tj
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 7:49am

Ok gears on the 44 are done, but not much else has  been accomplished.  I know its thread build suicide to show a gear pattern but here goes.

...and the almost finished product

I also have to post a picture of my Woody...

I also pictures of me installing my PVC inserts....not so easy.

Now I here are pictures of my TJ...some of you might recognize it.

83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 1:09pm
Holy Crap! Don't tell me that red thing moves under it's own power.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 2:17pm
yea I was impressed my self,  I expected alot more work then a bath, brakes and new seats.  This gives my wife a toy
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 4:15pm
That's cool. You're jeeps are opposite of ours. My wife has a 78 CJ5 and I have a 97 TJ. 

Edited by 83K10 - 02 May 2010 at 4:17pm
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member
Have you seen my 9/16" socket?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 4:38pm
she'll go a lot of places people will tell you it won't Wink

I'm hoping to see it on the trails again.  It deserves it after everything I've put it through. Thumbs Up
06 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited all torn apart.

CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2010 at 9:41am

Any further progress?

~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic