Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Case's Build Thread (06 LJ)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member
Have you seen my 9/16" socket?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Case's Build Thread (06 LJ)
    Posted: 17 January 2010 at 4:52pm
OK so I guess it would be fun to do one of these. This will be the thread that I update all of ya'll with the progress I make in atoning for my right foot's sins.

I am a mechanically retarded caveman who has been recently unfrozen. Your world of air tools and welders frightens and confuses me. The time it takes you to find, buy, modify and fabricate, and install your custom parts is shorter than the time it takes me to find the 9/16 socket laying somewhere on the garage floor. You will be working on the upgrade to your last upgrade by the time I realize I didn't need the 9/16 socket, but the metric equivalent, which I don't have because I threw it at the dog when it was barking at the neighbor.

My budget? My plan is to keep my budget just short of however much will trigger my wife to divorce me and take my Jeep and my dogs. I will have to work within a budget created entirely from the sale of old parts, loose pocket change, and whatever money I can steal from nuns. I wake up sweating at night when I realize that I only have 2 more years of payments left on this jeep as I slowly replace every piece of original equipment that I'm technically still paying for with parts bought with the pitiful money left over after my monthly payments.

My time? I don't have any kids so I frolic through life with hours upon hours of free time, bored out of my mind with nothing to do, so a project like this should only take a few days. Wait, no, I'm in grad school which means I have no life. I also have to share my meager free time with various other hobbies and commitments. Additionally, I have to work odd jobs in my free time in order to pay for this build thread. I hope to have a handful of hours a week to work on this.

The plan:

Stretch the rear 3 inches and cut the rear fenders.
Install shaved 14 bolt with 4 link in the rear.
Cut 3 inches from the hood and setup high clearance fenders in the front.
Install 3 link 89 ford dana 60.
Some kind of suspension consisting of airshocks and/or coilovers (depending upon lottery numbers).
Probably full hydro steering.
Some kind of 42s mounted on some kind of wheels.
Some kind of belly up skid.
Lower the overall height of the vehicle and promote enhanced stability.

What can you expect from reading this thread? I dunno, you probably won't learn anything. You will get some laughs at my pathetic attempts to do even the most basic things. My feeble engineering will make you feel better about your own builds and encourage you to never ride with me again. This thread will probably end up on 20 different forums for reasons I probably won't like. This build is likely to end suddenly when I set myself, my garage, or my Jeep on fire or cut off a finger with tin snips.
06 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited all torn apart.

83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 5:02pm
At least you're starting out positively

Get the garage organized before you tear into this. It will get bad enough during the project but if you start with it in bad shape you'll spend more time chasing your tail around the garage trying to find this or that.
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 5:07pm
What prompted this build to happen?

Take a look at what is left of this beautiful rear Rubicon Dana 44 with factory air locker:

I broke both shafts, the locker, and the carrier, as well as damaging the ring and pinion. What was left of the mess ground up the inside of the housing so bad I doubt anyone would be able to correctly setup a new set of gears in it again.

Also, one of the studs in the axle shaft chose to spin meaning I couldn't get my wheel spacer off to remove the axle shaft. The wheel spacer had to be cut off in order to get the axle out to finish tear down.

Basically this axle was easily worth about 1000-1500 bucks to the right buyer with the locker, air pump, chromoly shafts, disk brakes, spares, and suspension links that allow it to bolt to any TJ. Now, I guess I'll part it out as best I can.

PSA: don't jump your Jeep. There was really good traction in a few places and I thought, hey it would be fun to just jump over the next ledge. Also, don't assume that just because you survived the jumps doesn't mean that there was no damage. Also, stay off rated 6 trails when the map at the park says trails are rated 1-5. Avoid crowds and peer pressure.

Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 5:35pm
This isn't a budget build on pirate. I didn't pull out my phone and run through my contact list until I found the number for the vendor selling the very latest in axles built from unobtanium and capable of surviving a fall from low earth orbit. My axles did not get overnighted to me in a crate that emitted light and the heavenly sound of angel choirs when I opened it.

Instead I headed out to my shop (AKA the Cash Family Storage Unit) where I happened upon a 1976 International Scout which just happened to have a 14 bolt under it. Since it was obvious the owner of this vehicle had abandoned it, I quickly yanked the axle. Another person on this board happened to sell me a dana 60 so I bought that.

When I announced my initial plans, I was met with derision and laughter from the much much older member of this board known only as 98TJ. He spake unto me, "Yea verily, yon 14 bolt doth drag itself across rocks and preventeth you from further egress. Mere 40 inch tyres hath not the clearance to carry yonself onward and upward". (this is how old people talk).

My 88 year old grandmother whom I love dearly taught me to always listen to my elders for they are wiser and better than me in every way. So I heeded the wise advise of 98TJ and proceeded to choose the only obvious solution: shaving the 14 bolt.

Now the previous owner had shaved off about 1" from the bottom of this behemoth. He only stopped shaving when he encountered the bottom bolt hole of the housing. In order to ensure the seal of his diff cover he stopped here. Hounded by my critics, I put the 14 bolt on sawhorses and bought probably the greatest tool mankind has made, besides fire and accelerator pedals: the sawzall.

The result:

That's it for now. Stay tuned for more pitiful updates with minuscule progress. Also, stay tuned for these important messages brought to you by:

CASE DALTON'S USED 4x4 PARTS EMPORIUM. We sell used crap so you don't have to buy new! Our parts are guaranteed to be thoroughly tested in the most extreme conditions!!!

CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 11:17pm
Case, I am definitely looking forward to your progress! Verily, though I walk through yon desert of ancient kings and Biblical prophets, ye shalt provideth me with musings of mechanical entertainment and words to sooth mine yearning for excursions across the faye wilderness with thee, and thine merry band of Rocket City Rock Cralwers.
~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 2:19am
Originally posted by Case Case wrote:

This isn't a budget build on pirate. I didn't pull out my phone and run through my contact list until I found the number for the vendor selling the very latest in axles built from unobtanium and capable of surviving a fall from low earth orbit. My axles did not get overnighted to me in a crate that emitted light and the heavenly sound of angel choirs when I opened it.

Funny stuff.
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 3:15am
hey you shaving ring gear to and are you shaving straight across or at the pinion angle
JRTOffroad View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRTOffroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 3:53am
Since I seem to be the primary hand model for much of this build thread, I suppose I am qualified to respond to technical questions...

The ring gear will require a slight shave. Likely we will grind the offending material off parallel to the new housing bottom plate. The required material removal is very minimal and will be well outside the pinion contact patch.

Edited by JRTOffroad - 18 January 2010 at 4:00am
[URL=]JRTOffroad[/URL]

ULTRA4 Racer #4580 - Thanks to Extreme Rock Rigs (XRR), Nitro Gear, BFGoodrich, Tom Woods, Ruff Stuff, FOA, Fusion Works Fab!
scoutman View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Lame Duck Past Pres, Fab Guy & Club Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 4:20am
Subscribed.   
76 Scout II in pieces
96 Jeep XJ 33's
99 Jeep XJ Limited
06 Dodge 3500
W5LZQ
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 4:37am
Originally posted by JRTOffroad JRTOffroad wrote:

Since I seem to be the primary hand model for much of this build thread, I suppose I am qualified to respond to technical questions...

aaaOOOOOOOah aaaOOOOOah ALERT - this means that the writer of the thread is not doing the work himself. Therefore, this thread is cast into the eternal lake of fire along with all the others which have denied their likeness to the Pirate Budget Build genre. I call hollerin "do it yourself" then having someone else do it for you!!!!

PS what are you doing with your rubi axles?
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
scoutman View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 4:41am
They will be sold to pay for parts of the build.
76 Scout II in pieces
96 Jeep XJ 33's
99 Jeep XJ Limited
06 Dodge 3500
W5LZQ
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRTOffroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 4:53am
Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

aaaOOOOOOOah aaaOOOOOah ALERT - this means that the writer of the thread is not doing the work himself. Therefore, this thread is cast into the eternal lake of fire along with all the others which have denied their likeness to the Pirate Budget Build genre. I call hollerin "do it yourself" then having someone else do it for you!!!!

PS what are you doing with your rubi axles?

Haha! I like this logic, my mere appearance in a build thread photo establishes me as the labor force! And to think, I thought my official title was VP of Alcoholic Beverage Consumption.
[URL=]JRTOffroad[/URL]

ULTRA4 Racer #4580 - Thanks to Extreme Rock Rigs (XRR), Nitro Gear, BFGoodrich, Tom Woods, Ruff Stuff, FOA, Fusion Works Fab!
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 7:07am
Originally posted by JRTOffroad JRTOffroad wrote:

Wasn't that in a Seinfeld episode..."hand model"?
Funny.
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 8:18am
Originally posted by ATM ON WHEELS ATM ON WHEELS wrote:

hey you shaving ring gear to and are you shaving straight across or at the pinion angle

the bottom plate should be flat with a pinion angle of ~15 degrees.

NOT4HWY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOT4HWY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 8:27am
Ok-educate me. I've trimmed several 14 bolts before but how are you going to get the cover to seal properly?
Club member since 1992, Club President 1995-1999 Trail rig:S-Blazer,Rockwells,507 Caddy,T-400,203/205, Tow-rig: '23 F350 4x4
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 8:41am
Glad to see you doing a build thread on this. That's gonna be a sweet ride when you're done with it.
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE................need I say more?   
94Blazer327 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94Blazer327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 9:18am
Originally posted by NOT4HWY NOT4HWY wrote:

Ok-educate me. I've trimmed several 14 bolts before but how are you going to get the cover to seal properly?

Best one Ive seen
Yes I know the one isnt a 14bolt , same concept though

www.DamnLocals4x4.com
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 9:20am
[QUOTE=NOT4HWY] Ok-educate me. I've trimmed several 14 bolts before but how are you going to get the cover to seal properly?[/QUOTE

i'll purchase a weld together kit and trim to fit the cover to the housing. 2 nuts will be welded into the housing to create 2 additional places to secure hardware. It may not seal 100% but I'll settle for 99%   

NOT4HWY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOT4HWY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 9:31am
thanks for the pictures-lots of work but that edge on a 14-bolt hangs on everything so well worth the effort.
Club member since 1992, Club President 1995-1999 Trail rig:S-Blazer,Rockwells,507 Caddy,T-400,203/205, Tow-rig: '23 F350 4x4
scoutman View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 6:47am
Case, as you begin your hunt for repair and modification parts, I would like to state the 1947 Farmall Tractor under my shed is not available.  Even though it looks as if it would be available to part out, it is not.   I know the rear axel and tires would provide the lift you are seeking and the axel would be tank strong, but you must seek elsewhere.
76 Scout II in pieces
96 Jeep XJ 33's
99 Jeep XJ Limited
06 Dodge 3500
W5LZQ
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 7:13am
Originally posted by scoutman scoutman wrote:

Case, as you begin your hunt for repair and modification parts, I would like to state the 1947 Farmall Tractor under my shed is not available.  Even though it looks as if it would be available to part out, it is not.   I know the rear axel and tires would provide the lift you are seeking and the axel would be tank strong, but you must seek elsewhere.

I was searching for metal to weld to the bottom of the shaved 14 bolt.  Most shaved 14 bolts call for 3/8" to 1/2" metal to be used for the bottom plate.

metal that thick is expensive.  being a budget build i figured i could just cut the pieces I needed out of the sheet metal of the left over scout body in my shop and sandwich the sheetmetal until it was thik enough.  should work right? Wink

RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRTOffroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 7:21am
Originally posted by Case Case wrote:

Originally posted by scoutman scoutman wrote:

I was searching for metal to weld to the bottom of the shaved 14 bolt.  Most shaved 14 bolts call for 3/8" to 1/2" metal to be used for the bottom plate.

metal that thick is expensive.  being a budget build i figured i could just cut the pieces I needed out of the sheet metal of the left over scout body in my shop and sandwich the sheetmetal until it was thik enough.  should work right? Wink

Using scout sheet metal that should only take 1 or 2 layers.
[URL=]JRTOffroad[/URL]

scoutman View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 7:32am
Depends on what part you take it from
76 Scout II in pieces
96 Jeep XJ 33's
99 Jeep XJ Limited
06 Dodge 3500
W5LZQ
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 10:41am
Case, I know I have some 1/2" steel plate and I might have some 3/8".  How much do you need?
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 3:10pm
Case, your mailbox is full.  I've got some

4" X 3/4"

and

6" X 3/8"
scoutman View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 3:59pm
I hope he already has it cause we're supposed to weld it up tomorrow. If not then y'all may get a call.
76 Scout II in pieces
96 Jeep XJ 33's
99 Jeep XJ Limited
06 Dodge 3500
W5LZQ
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 4:06pm
How do you plan on welding to the cast iron housing.  I have never tried that.  Seems like I read something about preheating to 500 degf and using a nickle rod or something.
scoutman View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 4:10pm
Preheat,weld, wrap the housing so it cools slowly.
76 Scout II in pieces
96 Jeep XJ 33's
99 Jeep XJ Limited
06 Dodge 3500
W5LZQ
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 4:13pm

Weld with what?  Just a mig and standard wire and gas?

98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 4:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic