FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Case's Build Thread (06 LJ)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
unlblkrubi View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlblkrubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Case's Build Thread (06 LJ)
    Posted: 19 November 2019 at 8:00am
Wow, great job, looking like a jeep again.
'18 Renegade Trailhawk
'15 JKUR-Warn-AEV-Rigid-KC-ARB

cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2019 at 12:26pm
I've been talking with Shawn Rants about a Fast Fuel system on my Scrambler.  It's what they run.  Tuneable PCM.  (I'm running a stock PCM now with zero control on fuel delivery, nothing)  You might consider that, too.  Does away with factory PCM.  
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2019 at 12:01pm
Thumbs Up
~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member
Have you seen my 9/16" socket?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2019 at 11:34am
nah i'll just rock this one in 4hi until i find a suitable replacement.
06 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited all torn apart.

CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2019 at 11:30am
Looking good, Case! So, when you get the PCM reflashed, are you also going to be able to tune the T-case so you get all gears? Or are you just going to rock it full time in 4hi?
~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2019 at 10:45am
Week 2 update:

Engine Mounted, trans, and tcase mounted.  Entire drivetrain slid in using advanced adapters motor mount kit, no cutting of the firewall needed.  Plenty of room to get behind the motor/top of the trans from the engine bay:

I wanted a flat belly, or as close to flat as I could get.  This was difficult because the transfer case that came with this power train is huge.  I don't even know what this tcase is, but its super beefy.  I think its an NV245, but thats just a guess.  One issue encountered is that there are so many electronic inputs into the tcase that it will be really hard to control.  It requires inputs about transmission position, ABS sensors, Speed, traction, etc before the motor will shift it into 4wheel drive.  Thats gonna be a challenge to do, so I just manually engaged 4hi and left it that way.  Selectable hubs will let me drive on the street in 2wd.  

Due to the size of the tcase I had to really tuck the drivetrain up into the body:

I also had to achieve mall crawler status and very reluctantly installed a 1 inch body lift:

But this yielded a pretty flat belly:

Pretty happy with that.  Now while the engine fit in the frame and under the body pretty well, the accessories did not comply as much.  The alternator was hitting the frame, so the frame had to be modified:

Now it fits just fine (Just need correct hardware):

Headers fit real nice.  These are stock 6.1 headers which flow really well.  We did try and fit a set of longtubes, but the passenger side was going to require a complete rebuild that would be to time consuming.  So shorties it is:

The upper link for the front 3 link needed to be moved to make room for driveshaft and exhaust clearance.  An unusual solution is to outboard the front upper link. So now my upper link is outisde the frame:

Oh wait, is that fenders and a hood and stuff????  Check this out!:

This is ride height.  What a beast!!

Still dont have a seat mount finalized.  This has been really frustrating.  I'm to big to fit inside the cab lol.  This week I'll continue to finalize the seat location.  Fuel and exhaust work will start as soon as the parts arrive.  One frustrating thing I just ran into is that Dodge physically locks down the PCM from being modified.  I have to send it off to get it resoldered so we can tune it.  Very frustrating but we have other things to work on until the unlocked PCM gets back to me.

CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2019 at 7:48am
Nice, Case! Looks like it's coming together!

~Sean

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2019 at 7:59pm
Awesome progress!! Thumbs Up
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2019 at 12:12pm
So progress has been slowed because I have been traveling for work quite a bit in the last few months.  I did 2 weeks in Alaska and 3 weeks in Tacoma, WA and finally they are sending me out again the entire month of November.  Can you believe that?  What hell hole could they be sending me to now?

Oh, right...Ft. Carson....In Colorado....across the street from the race shop....how convenient. 

So lets take the jeep with us and make some progress.

Day 1:

The poor frame on this jeep had been hacked and beaten and sawed and welded on so much it really needed to get cleaned up, get all those welds on top of the frame that we couldn't not reach before done, and some paint on all the bare metal.  So after lots of welding and grinding later I got it all cleaned up and painted.

But Case, you say, why would you paint on your trailer it looks horrible now...  Well, I'll tell you that's the most primer that trailer has ever seen so the paint comes off just by looking at it.  So i'm sure  overall this is good for the trailer.  You may notice some areas of the frame did not get paint.  That's because there are planned changes in those areas.  Stock motor mounts need to be cut off.  I dislike the old shock mounts and will have to do something about them.  

Next it was time to work on the cage.  I have always wanted to do a fastback style of cage on this LJ because I think it looks pretty sick.  But no LJ I have seen has been done the way I wanted it.  Considering that I don't intend to have a back seat I can be a bit more extreme.  So the first hoops go in and will kind of show you the lines I'm going for:

Now of course ya'll know me.  I'm a good ol southern redneck at heart which means you cannot possibly have just one B pillar.  That just ain't right.  So a few more tubes gotta go in:

Now its time to figure out where I'm going to sit and have enough clearance for my head and still be able to see out the tiny windshield this thing has.  Its a delicate balancing act safety vs comfort vs visibility.  I really need the engine/trans in place so that I can figure out where I can run seat bars.  I may need to take out some foam in my seat so I sit lower into it.  This will be what I work on this week. 

scoutman View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Lame Duck Past Pres, Fab Guy & Club Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2019 at 2:10pm
Had to dust off the ol RCRC password to come check in on progress.  Wink

Looking forward to more updates.  

76 Scout II in pieces
96 Jeep XJ 33's
99 Jeep XJ Limited
06 Dodge 3500
W5LZQ
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2019 at 9:31am
Wow, Case! Loving that you finally got that ol' girl out from under all that stuff! Your lucky the stuff didn't completely consume your rig!

Glad to see the fires have been lit!
~Sean

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

unlblkrubi View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlblkrubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2019 at 7:51am
Still following.....10 years later
'18 Renegade Trailhawk
'15 JKUR-Warn-AEV-Rigid-KC-ARB

50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2019 at 5:04am
Keep up the good work Case!
Bob S.

83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2019 at 10:10pm
Glad to see you really working on this again. Stick with it! 
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2019 at 1:40pm
nope.  I dont have time to wait on them to ship me a correct seat.  I'm fixing to hammer down on this thing.  I'm just glad the seats i got were oversized so I can fit.  

cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2019 at 1:19pm
Have you had any conversations with PRP since you got what you got?
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Past RCRC - VP
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2019 at 1:17pm
thanks Jake.

The plan is for the seats to mount to the cage.  I don't trust the sheet metal.  

Only problem I have with the PRP seats right now is their definition of navy blue is pretty wrong considering the back vinyl is just "blue".  oh well, i'll make it work.

oh and besides sending me two oversized seats instead of one and one normal seat...packing that into the jeep will be a challenge.

cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2019 at 1:11pm
Dood!
I'm so proud of you.  Seriously.  I know what this means and am so happy to see it happening.
If you need a hand, let me know.  I've made a few withdrawals from the Case time bank and owe you a deposit of my own time whenever I can.

Are you planning to build a cage in it that the seats will "float" in or mounting them to the floorboards somehow.  What's the plan there.
Good choice on the PRPs.  I love the ones we have in the Scrambler.  Have put a lot of miles on them now and am still happy.
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Past RCRC - VP
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2019 at 9:32am
This thread is rapidly approaching 10 years old ShockedShockedShocked.

Its hard to imagine being without my Jeep for so long considering how hardcore I was into rockcrawling back in the day.  I do miss it, but after a while I guess you get used to being clean from your addictions.  The Jeep went down Nov 9th 2009.  I didnt start the build until January 2010 when I attempted to repair the damage looking forward to a big snow.  Differential locked up waiting in line to get thru gate 7 2nd week of January.  Realizing that the entire rear axle was toast (see pics post 1), I decided to do the 1 ton swap and the build spiraled from there (see rest of posts previous to this one).

So what does a mothballed project that has stalled out look like?  Let me show you my shame:

DeadDeadDead

I was able to use the 3 day weekend to start my redemption.  I started by ordering new parts for the first time in many many years.  They arrived a few days ago:

Special ordered through Ben Meade at XRR.  Wider and taller to accommodate my big rear end.  Unfortunately that means Gena has to have a booster cushion or the harnesses will decapitate her.  LOL

Of course when they came in, i had to try test fitting them in my jeep.  Which required extracting it from the god awful mess it was buried under.  This was done quickly enough and then I removed the stock seats.  The seats did not fit.  Way to big.  But these are the size I need.  So time to start making room for them.  This crossmember needed to go:

Yes that is straw all over the floor....and rat turds.  It was not clean when I stored it and I guess i had freeloaders taking advantage of me Angry.  They are dead now.  The crossmember was not easy to free and the resulting damage to the floorboard will need to be addressed later, however I did get it out:

Seating was still way to tight so time to make more room:

The stock steering needed to go anyways.  So did the dash.  There is a surprising amount of space that can be recovered by getting rid of the stock dash:

Even more space can be recovered by removing the heater core assembly, but I dont care about passenger comfort and I still would like to have heat/defrost:

Still need to clean up some wiring, but next step is to get the ol girl outside in the sunshine so i can remove the stock roll cage:

1st sunshine its seen in nearly 10 years.  This is a view of it that I have not seen in years and years.  Trapped in the garage it was just a convenient way to store junk and I completely lost site of the overall vision I had for this thing.  I am not going to lie to yall, after I got it out I just sat down in a chair about 20 feet away from it and stared at the lines and realized how much I missed this thing and what a cool vehicle I had started to build and gave up on.  Very bittersweet.

I mean look at this booty:

If that dont get your blood going I dunno whats wrong with you!!

So after a few minutes of admiring it was time to get back to work and removing the silly putty that Jeep uses to hold the stock roll cages down.  Finally busted it loose after an hour of cussing at it:

So now the seats fit, but I didnt have the right cribbing to get their position just right.  I will need to be pretty precise with this as I must get the seats as low as possible so that my head will clear the roll cage.  Hopefully with some creative seat positioning I'll get the 3-4" of headroom I want to protect my noggin.  I've banged my head on 4580s cage many times during races, and even with a good helmet it still was not pleasant.  I am hoping to eek out a little more room than I had in the race jeep.

A lot of time will go into seat positioning as the entirety of the cage and dash work will be built around the driver's seat.  I'll be grabbing some more lumber from Lowes and trying to feel out the best positioning over the course of the week.  

That's all for now, but the fire is lit for real this time.  I'm really excited about working on this thing again.  Clap

cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2019 at 9:12am
Dude, that engine, that supercharger.... you'll shoot your eye out kid!

___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Past RCRC - VP
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2019 at 7:14am
Looking good! I think you get the award for traveling the farthest to work on your project vehicle. 

If you guys end up needing to have a custom cover machined or something of that nature, I can probably do it. We're up to 3 cnc mills in the shop now. 
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2019 at 3:38am
Nice, Case!
~Sean

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2019 at 7:39pm
Looking good!!  It's great when a plan comes together!! 
Bob S.

Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2019 at 3:38pm
Back at you with a quick update:

After a few months of collecting parts it was time to make some progress on the new engine.  I want this thing to be powerful, but reliable.  I want to be able to absolutely thrash on it without having to worry about pushing it to hard.  With that in mind, I've gathered some quality parts.

So off to JRT Racing World Headquarters we go!  A quick plane ride gets me to the state of the art engine assembly facility located in beautiful Colorado Springs, Colorado.  My motor was all ready disassembled by the world class technicians employed by JRT Racing.  So after a brief tour of the Springs to get parts and deliver them to the machinist, hit the junk yard looking for some valve covers, and consumption of margaritas we ended the day.

The next day we were able to get the heads stripped down and assembled with new, heavier, springs.  I cleaned and  lapped each valve and valve seat.  These are stock 6.1 Hemi heads, which flow really well for a stock application.

At this point we got a call from the machinist that my block work was done and it was ready to be picked up.  Since he stayed late to finish the job we hurried over to his shop to pick up the block.  You know its a great machine shop when you pull up to a dirty building with no sign and just 1 door.  Inside 1 old man surrounded by engine blocks and machining equipment  works all his manual machines while country and western blare from an old speaker.  You had to pay with cash since he didnt have a computer or any way to process cards, my receipt was hand written on legal paper.

One of the problem we encountered was we thought we had a stock 5.7 so I bought pistons and rings for a +.005 bore, but the machinist determined that the block had already been rebuilt (poorly) once before so I ended up with a +.020 bore.  That meant I had to overnight new pistons and rings from the manufacturer in Jersey, who only sold their products through Summit Racing, which was a giant pain in the rear because the Manley Performance stuff wasnt on the web site.  Fortunately, the customer service department was able to arrange the transfer and I got my parts in time.  I'm using Manley Performance "extreme duty" pistons, rods, and wrist pins.  Here they are all assembled:

Now at this point I must confess.  We were supposed to be watching the new JRT Racing baby while momma worked, but we were determined to get as much done as we could.  We nominated ourselves as "Best worst fathers in the world".

I dont know why the photo loaded sideways.  I'm not really good with computers.

At this point, we were ready to assemble the motor.  We are using a polished stock  crank, as the 5.7 cranks are pretty healthy.  Pistons and rods are forged of course.  Because of the quick turnaround on the emergency reorder of parts I ended up with grind to fit rings.  This is where I ran into this evil sumbitch:

Next time, I think i'll try my luck with the dremel LOL.  I painfully adjusted each ring by turning the handle hundreds of times, but finally was done and it was time to install the shiny parts.

Of course we painted the block hemi racing orange.  Head studs because we are going to be throwing boost at this little guy and we want everything to stay put!

Next up was to bolt up the rebuilt heads:

Next, we measured for new pushrods and I'll be ordering those later today.  At this point we were running out of time so we wanted to see what the final product will look like.  The baby wasnt impressed but we were pretty excited.

In this picture the supercharger is not bolted down to the heads yet.  We are going to need to make a spacer that will make the bolt down work.  The aluminum we ordered was not thick enough so we'll have to order new material.  But it sure is nice to see it sitting up there!  

Next morning we added the hellcat oil pump to the crank, the pump didnt fit the stock location but we were able to machine a spacer using the stock oil pump drive gear to get it to work.  

The stock cover is not going to work, and probably we will need to make modifications to the oil pan.  Also because hell cat valve covers are hideously expensive, we will need to make some modifications to some old aluminum valve covers.  Unfortunately, I was out of time and needed to catch my plane so this is as far as we got.  CryCryCry

Next step is to find some parts that will work, or modify what we got and get the supercharger spacers made.  Then final assembly and bolt it to the transmission.  I havent figured out what kind of t-case i'll be running yet.  I don't really need low range, but I want to run drive slugs so i dont have to get my big lazy butt out of my seat to get 4wd working so I'm thinking single speed t-cases are out.  Maybe i'll find a jk t-case for cheap and just use that?  I dont know yet.  

CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 9:07am
Digging it, Case!
~Sean

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:54am
Originally posted by bluetoy bluetoy wrote:

That’s awesome Case! Who’s would have thought anyone would ever swap a dodge transmission in anything? The nag1 is a great transmission, this sounds even better! 

welllllllllll, technically its a german transmission not a chrysler.  I still don't think anyone would want a trans chrysler designed on their own for their project LOL

bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 7:12pm
That’s awesome Case! Who’s would have thought anyone would ever swap a dodge transmission in anything? The nag1 is a great transmission, this sounds even better! 
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE................need I say more?   
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 10:06am
Nifty.
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Past RCRC - VP
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 8:40am
So just a few months later and already things are a changin'.  Since I've taken so long to complete this project, I've become comfortable with the goal posts moving.  I've decided to make a change already to my drivetrain.  The NAG1 is a great transmission with a very low first gear and 2nd gear ratio much closer to 1st than most commonly used transmissions.  This means that in the critical gears we typically use off roading (1st, 2nd, ...3rd if you really want it) the vehicle stays in the power band without a big fall off of power when the trans shifts gears.  The NAG1 also is fully tuneable and shift points are controllable and swift.  It's also a very strong transmission being used in some very high horsepower applications (4488 has made north of 700 rwhp on the dyno)

But what if there was something else out there that was even better????

As it happens, there is.  The ZF 8HP70 is a german 8 speed electronically shifted auto trans used in a variety of domestic and foreign cars. Dodge happens to use a version of this transmission in their vehicles.  Several high end sports cars and some exotics also use a version of this transmission.   By almost all accounts, this transmission may be one of the best autos especially in a high horsepower application.  The version I'll be using is slightly stronger than the NAG1, has a higher first gear, tighter ratios between the gears, and faster shifting.

This sounds very expensive right?  As it turns out Dodge uses this transmission in the Charger, Challenger, and Durango.  The RAM 1500 also uses it.  Therefore with some careful shopping we should be able to find one without spending a ton of money.    I have found what I was looking for:  A wrecked 2015 Dodge Durango:

With just 46k miles on it, there should be plenty of life left in this transmission. The Transmission, t-case, ecu, shifter, and accelerator pedal were secured.  I still lack some of the wiring necessary as it was so intertwined with the chassis wiring harness, the seller was unwilling to part with it.  I may have to source this through the dealership or other official Mopar parts sources.

Another unique thing I am determined to do is to operate without any traditional gauges.  There is so much information available from the ECM that to display by analog gauge would require a significant amount of money spent on just gauges.  There are some all digital race oriented dash displays, but I don't want to spend that kind of money and I want to have more control/access to the data I want than what I can get from those displays.  So I have ordered a 8" android tablet that is built to military standards for ruggedness (shockproof, vibration proof, water/dust proof etc).  Using a combination of Apps, I can set this tablet up to display whatever I want, turn on instantly without having to wait for the tablet to boot up, touch screen that will allow me to change display on the fly, handle other tasks such as navigation or entertainment, etc.  It also has its own 4g Verizon service which will allow me to setup some Apps that will track my Jeep's location, provide dynamic text message updates, provide radio communications, and possibly allow me to remotely start and/or shut down the Jeep.  

All of this capability can be delivered for way less money than I would have spent on gauges, radios, stereo units etc.  

CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2019 at 5:23am
Case, I love your seagull analogy! LOL! I'm right there with ya on that one! Glad to see you were 1) still able to find this thread, and 2) able to remember where you left all your Jeep parts! You ever get this thing paid off?
I'm happy that Charlotte has got to a point, health-wise, where you are able to spend some time on this project again. I've been following her progress on FB, and it is truly amazing. God definitely has his hand on you all.
~Sean

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic