Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chapman MTN/Chase RD/A&M trails

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sp00n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chapman MTN/Chase RD/A&M trails
    Posted: 11 December 2009 at 9:34am
so they closed the two entrances I was aware about (chase road by A&M and the model airplane field, and Martin Luther JR school) a year or two ago due to "drug traffic"  :roll:

The way into the Chase RD entrance is still unobstructed, but parking around that area is going to be very futile. They put a gate up in front of the school entrance, and another year or two from now apartments will be obstructing that way anyhow.

Is there another way to get back there? They were great foewhuller trails and they're only a few miles from my house instead of a 30+ minute drive to an actual park like Wooly's or Stoney's that you have to pay to get in for trails that aren't even as good. I used to ride them 2 or 3 times a month every winter before they closed em, haven't been able to find a replacement spot since. 
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2009 at 11:20am
I don't know how true this is but I have heard the property has been sold to the huntsville land trust.
jhall01 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhall01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2009 at 12:38pm
Theres a reason they are closed. It is private land.  support your local OHV parks.
Cj-7 Ls-1=465=205=tons=44s
Affordable Appliance Repair 256 533 9435
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2009 at 3:38pm
That used to be a great place to ride.  We would park at Colonial Hills School, ride those trails on Chatman Mtn, cross Hwy 72, head up the north ridge to Monte Sano, cross Bankhead Parkway, ride across the west side of Monte Sano just below the WAAY tower and cross Govenors Dr near Burket Museum, then ride across the top of Huntsville Mtn where those big gated homes are now, drop off Huntsville Mtn and go down thru Blevins Gap behind Grissom and then up the north end of Green Mtn, then ride the length of Green Mtn and down the south end near Huntsville Speedway to Hobbs Island Rd.  Then we would turn around and ride all the way bach to Chatman Mtn.
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
browning67 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browning67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2009 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by 98TJ 98TJ wrote:

That used to be a great place to ride.  We would park at Colonial Hills School, ride those trails on Chatman Mtn, cross Hwy 72, head up the north ridge to Monte Sano, cross Bankhead Parkway, ride across the west side of Monte Sano just below the WAAY tower and cross Govenors Dr near Burket Museum, then ride across the top of Huntsville Mtn where those big gated homes are now, drop off Huntsville Mtn and go down thru Blevins Gap behind Grissom and then up the north end of Green Mtn, then ride the length of Green Mtn and down the south end near Huntsville Speedway to Hobbs Island Rd.  Then we would turn around and ride all the way bach to Chatman Mtn.

and parts of those trails are still there...

i bet that was fun.
98 2door xj on krawlers

-david
unlblkrubi View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlblkrubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2009 at 2:24am
north end of Green Mtn, then ride the length of Green Mtn and down the south end near Huntsville Speedway to Hobbs Island Rd.  Then we would turn around and ride all the way bach to Chatman Mtn.[/QUOTE]

That north end we used to call "Space Walk", came up from the end of Weatherly Rd. and then headed south. Great views of Huntsville. Haven't been there since the late 70's
'18 Renegade Trailhawk
'15 JKUR-Warn-AEV-Rigid-KC-ARB

98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2009 at 3:28am
Yep, the Space Walk.  Sometimes we would park & unload at the YMCA on Weatherly and go up that way.  There were two really cool hill climbs on the Space Walk coming up out of Blevins Gap and up the north end of Green Mtn.  I broke my right foot on the Space Walk in Blevins Gap and had to ride all the way back to Chapman Mtn; not fun.

Then there were miles and miles of trails on Green Mtn.  The absolute best trail was the nature trail around the lake on Green Mtn.  It was smooth, wide, covered with wood chips and super fast.  You could fly on that trail.  It was a blast to ride until they finished the park and open it up to the public.

Edited by 98TJ - 12 December 2009 at 3:33am
a-line View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a-line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2009 at 11:19pm
 I have been Hiking in the Land Trust Property going up M.S mountain . It clearly states no vehicles pass the parking lot entrance. But there is still a Old Earley Bronco back there on one of the walking trails that was left from the days of riding the trials you guys are talking about. One more thing I live here in the Chapman Mountain area, I have seen in the past mountain bikes using the trails you are referring to. I know nothing about it. My 2 cents is the City Of Huntsville would not be to friendly to ATVs running around. I drive a full size rig so I know that would not be allowed.  One of my relatives owned a 100 acre Farm back in behind the shell station area and you could still Hunt there. A few years ago the farm was sold and subdivision went in. Things Change.

Edited by a-line - 13 December 2009 at 12:05am
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member
Have you seen my 9/16" socket?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 1:43am
I remember riding the space walk with my dad in his old Subaru.  i was in a car seat at the time.
06 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited all torn apart.

98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 2:00am
Originally posted by Case Case wrote:

I was in a car seat at the time.

I didn't know they came that big. Tongue
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 5:03am
Originally posted by Case Case wrote:

I remember riding the space walk with my dad in his old Subaru.  i was in a car seat at the time.

Do you remember what part of the Space Walk.  I can remember borrowing my Dad's Scout and driving from Governors drive to the end of Huntsville Mtn and stoping where the mtn dropped of into Blevens Gap.  We couldn't go any farther with 4 wheels due to the trail width.  There was agreat view looking off towards Owens Cross Roads in one direction and Jones Valley in the other.  It was also a great place to burn up a few mags in a M-1 carbine I had back then.  I guess that area is a golf course with million dollar homes now.
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member
Have you seen my 9/16" socket?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 7:17am
I was real little.  The only reason I know we were on the Space walk was because I remember thinking, "this isn't space!" when we were up there.  I remember dad saying he could see our house from up there but don't know if he was joking or not.  If he wasn't we would have been somewhere over Grissom/Weatherly Rd.
06 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited all torn apart.

98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 7:45am
I bet you were on top of Green Mtn at the south end of Blevins Gap.  Used to you could turn left when yo got to the top of Green Mtn on the paved road.  You could follow that paved road north  about a mile or so were it turn into dirt a little ways past that pond on the left.  That dirt road ran along the top of Green Mtn then under the TVA power lines and finally ended at the north end of Green Mtn.  You could continue on north on a dirt bike into Blevins Gap.  At the bottom of Blevins Gap you could go 3 ways, west took you to Weatherly Rd, straight went up Huntsville Mtn and on to Monte Sano, right took you off the back side of Green Mtn down towards Owens Cross Roads.
NOT4HWY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOT4HWY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 9:02am

In high school, a couple of friends and I would sit and visit on the "upper" trail at the power line clearing. You had to have a 4x4 to travel up this side trail. The locals would come and park and drink beer. When police were spotted-most would throw their alcohol up above the main road and plan on coming back for it later. Well............ after everyone left, we would gather up all the beer leave and sell it.  We used to travel on a trail at the end of Drake and go parallel to power lines up to "space walk" High Dollar houses there now . Anybody ever make the hermit mad that had a shack on H'ville Mt. ? He lived close to the radio tower -(this was near the steep concrete slab was poured for maintenance workers)  

Edited by NOT4HWY - 14 December 2009 at 9:05am
Club member since 1992, Club President 1995-1999 Trail rig:S-Blazer,Rockwells,507 Caddy,T-400,203/205, Tow-rig: '23 F350 4x4
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic