Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeeps breed like rabbit (or my new toy)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74chevystepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeeps breed like rabbit (or my new toy)
    Posted: 10 May 2009 at 2:33pm
so I got this nice new shiney JK that I love to death...I love it so much, I bought it a friend.  Its a 94 YJ.  Its a 4 banger.  It orginally was a 5? speed vehicle.  I purchased it sans transmission.  I assume I need a AX-5?  Also the it has a giant body life (3") that has punched through the body.  Any tips or ideas to repair it?  Pics!

KJ4DDC
2009 Red Rock 4 door JK. All stock
1994 Blueish YJ
3" body lift and 33's WOOT
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2009 at 2:54pm
Looks like you'll be cutting out some pieces of floor and replacing it with some new metal.  Just remember to cut the hole large enough to remove all of the bad and cracked metal and then weld in the new piece.
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
74chevystepside View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74chevystepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2009 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by 50Willys 50Willys wrote:

Looks like you'll be cutting out some pieces of floor and replacing it with some new metal.  Just remember to cut the hole large enough to remove all of the bad and cracked metal and then weld in the new piece.

ok thats what I was planning on doing.  Any way of beefing that up to prevent that from happening again?  IE thicker metal in those spots?
KJ4DDC
1994 Blueish YJ
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 2:07am
You might be able to brace it from underneath.
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 4:40am
Originally posted by 74chevystepside 74chevystepside wrote:

[QUOTE=50Willys]...Any way of beefing that up to prevent that from happening again?  IE thicker metal in those spots?
What caused it to happen this time?  Rust?  Hard impacts?  Body mount pucks breaking through like this is usually a rust issue.  Cutting out the rusted sheet metal and replacing it with the same thickness is usually enough.  When you start putting in thicker sheet metal you need to be careful that you aren't causing stress elsewhere like along the edges of the thicker patches.

browning67 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browning67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 6:03am
time to cut it up and throw one tons under it! 

Edited by browning67 - 11 May 2009 at 6:03am
98 2door xj on krawlers

-david
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74chevystepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 6:20am
Originally posted by browning67 browning67 wrote:

time to cut it up and throw one tons under it! 
hell yeah it is!!!!  When are you purchasing them for me?LOL
KJ4DDC
1994 Blueish YJ
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74chevystepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 6:35am
Originally posted by mdmTJ mdmTJ wrote:

Originally posted by 74chevystepside 74chevystepside wrote:

[QUOTE=50Willys]...Any way of beefing that up to prevent that from happening again?  IE thicker metal in those spots?
What caused it to happen this time?  Rust?  Hard impacts?  Body mount pucks breaking through like this is usually a rust issue.  Cutting out the rusted sheet metal and replacing it with the same thickness is usually enough.  When you start putting in thicker sheet metal you need to be careful that you aren't causing stress elsewhere like along the edges of the thicker patches.

honestly, I don't know what caused this, as I haven't even began to look at it.
KJ4DDC
1994 Blueish YJ
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 8:00am
The failure of the body mounts is probably due to the fact that you have a 3" lift, and it is flexing the mount locations side to side (torque) like a big lever arm. I would suggest that you remove the 3" BL and go with a 1.25" JKS BL and a 2" budget boost kit which are always for sale used on the web . The JKS BL is larger diameter than the stock rubber mount, giving support for the added lift height, and actually completely surrounds the stock mount when installed.  It is the best quality and design BL on the market that I have seen, and I run one on my Rubicon.
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74chevystepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 8:03am
Originally posted by mudcat mudcat wrote:

The failure of the body mounts is probably due to the fact that you have a 3" lift, and it is flexing the mount locations side to side (torque) like a big lever arm. I would suggest that you remove the 3" BL and go with a 1.25" JKS BL and a 2" budget boost kit which are always for sale used on the web . The JKS BL is larger diameter than the stock rubber mount, giving support for the added lift height, and actually completely surrounds the stock mount when installed.  It is the best quality and design BL on the market that I have seen, and I run one on my Rubicon.

trust me...if it had been mine, it would have never had a 3" BL on it.  I think they failed to stress.  I'm going to start working on it when I get home and see what I can drum up.

Speaking of drums...I need the rear brake drums, as it has none.
KJ4DDC
1994 Blueish YJ
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 9:10am

I forgot that the YJ has leaf springs, so a BB wont work for you.  I'd do a coil over lift on a YJ, cuz it's cheap and effective.

browning67 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browning67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by mudcat mudcat wrote:

I forgot that the YJ has leaf springs, so a BB wont work for you.  I'd do a coil over lift on a YJ, cuz it's cheap and effective.

correction. spring over lift.
98 2door xj on krawlers

-david
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74chevystepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 5:22pm
I'm just going to do the sawzall liftLOL
KJ4DDC
1994 Blueish YJ
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2009 at 1:33am
I'm TJ oriented and have coils on the brain.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic