Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bluetoy's '86 4runner buildup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bluetoy's '86 4runner buildup
    Posted: 09 October 2008 at 6:54am

As far as I know, nobody has ever done a rig buildup thread on our site. So I thought I would start one. Hope ya'll enjoy.

The next victim :
A wrecked '86 4runner, thanks to some lady who turned in front of Doc's daughter on the interstate. Somehow it ended up at my house with the intentions of parting it out, but the more I looked at it the more I felt sorry for parting out such a clean 4runner.  I was needing something with a backseat so I can take my son wheeling anyways, so I decided I would bring it back from the dead.

Here's what it looked like after the wreck.

TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE................need I say more?   
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 7:11am
The plan for this 4runner is just a mild trail rig that I can take the whole family in and also drive it to work when needed. I already have a built '83 for hardcore trails so this rig will be more moderate.

With that being said, you know it's still gonna get a few upgrades. Here's the list of goodies: first off got to fix the body damage from the wreck, next will be to remove the pile of crap IFS from the front and install a solid axle, got a '99 3RZ Tacoma 4cyl that's gonna be mated to the stock w56 and dual t-cases, axles are getting the standard 5.29's with a lock right front  and welded rear that I always run, kept my Warn 9500 winch off my old blue truck, for tires I'm planning on running 35" BFG m/t's for street and trail duty, it will get a new coat of blue paint and some factory '85 SR5 stripes. Once all that is done I'll be building some bumpers , sliders, and an internal cage for the back seats.

Here's how it looks with the wrecked front clip removed and some 35" rollers .

Edited by bluetoy - 09 October 2008 at 7:13am
scoutman View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Lame Duck Past Pres, Fab Guy & Club Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 7:23am
Subscribed!  Cool
76 Scout II in pieces
96 Jeep XJ 33's
99 Jeep XJ Limited
06 Dodge 3500
W5LZQ
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 7:23am

Brian (bkubisht) found a sweet deal on a wrecked '99 prerunner that he was kind enough to tell me about, so I bought it and yanked the motor out of it. Thanks Brian Wink.

Ouch ! Shocked

But the motor was not hurt except for a cracked alternator and bent p/s pulley. Big%20smile

Edited by bluetoy - 09 October 2008 at 7:33am
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 7:30am
Got my solid axle disassembled and cleaned in preparation for the SAS. Also got my front 3rd member built.

Trail Gear 5.29's and a lock right. Tongue

The Tacoma my motor came from was an auto, so I had to buy a 5spd 3RZ bellhousing to mate it to my W56 tranny.

I bought one from a guy off marlin's forum in Alaska.

Edited by bluetoy - 09 October 2008 at 7:31am
bkubisht View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkubisht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 7:45am
You'll like that motor.  You'll never want another 22RE again.  When's the splicing party?!?
3RZ swapped 1985 Toyota 4Runner
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 8:01am
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the 3RZ. It's gonna be a little while before I'm ready to wire it up though. It's been hard to get much done, I've been working 6 days a week at my job all summer. I plan on pulling it in the shop next week and begin the SAS . Once I get the solid axle under it, I'll swing the motor in it so I can fab up some new mounts.
Gunner View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 12:55pm

Im likeing it.  Keep us updated!

1987 4Runner, 33" bfg km2's, ARB rear, rebuilt motor and tras. Ready to make some serious mods so that I start enjoying it again.
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 1:25pm
Man this is a quick build!

All this done today? Thumbs%20Up

Are you going to paint it a nice CRIMSON color when done? 
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2008 at 1:16am
No that was not all done in one day. I've had this sitting here for a few months, but haven't made much progress. I've just mostly been acquiring parts and working on other people stuff to pay for them. Once it goes inside my shop the seriuos work will begin. I've got an '83 at the house that I'm building for a friend and I've been working on it lately. I hope to have it completed early next week and then I can get serious on the 4runner.

And no on the crimson color. I'm a little partial to the blue, nothing to do with auburn football though. I hate football. I just like blue toyotas.
tecwizrd View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tecwizrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2008 at 2:03am
Subscribed. Thumbs%20Up Keep us posted. Smile
cwtoy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2008 at 6:38am
Originally posted by bluetoy bluetoy wrote:

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the 3RZ. It's gonna be a little while before I'm ready to wire it up though. It's been hard to get much done, I've been working 6 days a week at my job all summer. I plan on pulling it in the shop next week and begin the SAS . Once I get the solid axle under it, I'll swing the motor in it so I can fab up some new mounts.

Can't wait to see it done, Taco motor in a old school 4-Runner, the best of both worlds. 6 days a week Sleepy, what day is it? Confused

Edited by cwtoy - 11 October 2008 at 6:41am
Nothing to rock crawl in, just love TOYOTA's!
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2008 at 10:14am
Nick, if you havent already realized it, the rear window relay box is shot.  And even if its not shot, it will be soon.  I got tired of replacing mine and still having the rear window work sometimes, so I wired up a replacement that works all the time, no matter what (door open, door closed, door partically closed, door locked, unlocked etc).  LMK if you want me to wire one up for you.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2008 at 2:35am
Doc, I might take you up on the offer. I haven't had a battery on it since I got it from you, so I wasn't aware of the problem. Thanks.
Tex62 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tex62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2008 at 6:57am
looks like an awesome project man ! I got a buddy from work that has an 88 runner on 36's. That IFS would be the first thing to go. 

I'm jealous man.
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2008 at 4:07am

FINALLY! The 4runner is in the shop.

Got my housing cleaned and gusseted. Used the TG knuckle ball gusset/shock mounts.

Broke out the flaming wrench to deal with the IFS.

All the crap torched off the frame. Still gotta grind everthing smooth.

The IFS will find it's way to the scrap pile were it belongs.

Tonight I plan to grind the frame down smooth and weld on the spring hangers. That's my goal anyways.

cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2008 at 5:49am
What welder you using Nick?

Looking good.
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Past RCRC - VP
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2008 at 6:21am

Jake, I've got a Hobart 135 110V . I really like it. I know several other people who have these too and I've done a TON of welding with these welders and have nothing bad to say. They'll do 95% of the welding you'll ever need to do on a trail rig. The only thing on my rigs that I don't use this for is welding a diff. I use the 'ol lincoln buzz box for that.

J CROSS View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J CROSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2008 at 9:26am
Looks like you kicked it into high gear after I left. Wish my body was on the frame!
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them"   Einstein
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2008 at 9:57am
Yeah, I don't play around. LOL 

It took a total of about 3 hrs to go from a rolling complete IFS to a bare frame and a pile of parts. I unbolted everything that would un-bolt and then torched the rest. It sure made it easy with no motor or sheet metal in the way. It would take at least twice as long otherwise.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2008 at 11:46am
I'm anxious to see the outcome of this project.  I've always been a fan of those old 4runners.

Lookin' good so far! Clap
moloss View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moloss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2008 at 12:40pm
sweeeeeet.............
1986 CJ7 not stock

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."

Robert E. Lee
nuclearjunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 11:59pm
Whats up Nick.  Joined for the build.  Plant tripped last night so my 5.29s are going to the backburner again.  I may have a little time but not much.

Edited by nuclearjunky - 04 November 2008 at 12:04am
89 Toy with usual goodies
Kawasaki Teryx
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 12:11am
Welcome to RCRC Will.

I got my axle under it last night. I'll try to get some pics of the progress tonight.
85cruiser View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 5:44pm
Nick,

Great build, keep it coming. If you dont mind I would like to PM you some questions on building a early generation pickup. I am picking one up from a friend dirt cheap and in really great shape for my middle son James. I wanted to pick your brain on some  suspension questions.
Patrick

2011 Ford F350, XLT, 4X4, Diesel, Crew cab, long bed

74' FJ-40, The "Bruise"

85' FJ-60, slightly modified

87' FJ60, slightly modified
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2008 at 12:20am
Great to hear from you Pat !  I'd be glad to help you any way I can. You can PM me or just give me a call anytime.

I've got some more progress pics on the runner as soon as I get time to load them up. Maybe I'll get them
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 3:22pm
Finally got my pics uploaded.

Got the front axle under it. Woohoo.

Birfields greased and ready to go in.

Birfs in and spindles bolted up.

Edited by bluetoy - 09 November 2008 at 3:23pm
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 3:31pm

I machined me some hub spacers so I can use the IFS hub bodies with FJ60 rotors.

Got my T100 oil pan and pickup tube from the stealership.  The tacoma 3RZ motor has a front sump oil pan, but the T100's had a rear sump. You must use the T100 pan to swap this motor into an older model to clear the solid axle.
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 3:48pm
Took the weekend off from working on the 4runner. I just finished building an '83 for my buddy Matt  and assembling a dual case setup for my buddy Travis so we took them for a test run saturday evening/night. Had a fun trip. All rigs did great no issues. It was nice to get out and wheel for a while. Didn't get to take many pics because it got dfark on us, but I'll share a few that I got anyways.

Matt's rig:

Travis's rig:

My '83:

Flexing on Travis's tire. Man my 39.5''s dwarf his 35"s. They make his 35s look like donuts.
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 4:38pm
Nick,
You should get a shot of yours and Matt's together side by side but staggered so you can line up the "Rebel" logos!  LOL

That's funny, I'm assuming he got your bed huh?

I like those spacers.  Very nice.
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Past RCRC - VP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic