Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Classified Ads > Wanted!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glock pistol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2008 at 10:20pm
I have a Berretta 92F 9mm just like Lethal Weapon. Still can't shoot a smiley face shot group. But I am curious to see if a 40 cal is more accurate or has better penetration than a 9mm. Pretty much all civilian law enforcement have gone to 40 cal so I guess that must be a good endorsement. 
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2008 at 12:18am
Patrick,
Just to clarify, I wasn't saying a .40 was more accurate than a 9 mm, just that my wife was still accurate when stepping up to the higher recoil .40 (she could still control the larger load and maintain accuracy on the range).

What you are saying is a whole 'nother discussion.  There could be some truth to that as well. 
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2008 at 1:27am

Originally posted by 4RUNNERB12 4RUNNERB12 wrote:

Doc and Jake, why did you guys choose the .40 instead of the 9mm?

I already have a 9mm, and I wanted something .... different.  I got the fuillsize; the compact is too small for my paw, plus, you cant get the Crimson Trace integrated lasergrips for the compact (or you couldn't when I made the buy, maybe you can now).

"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
Al View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2008 at 2:55am
Everything else being equal, a .40 won't have better penetration since it's a larger diameter.  Typically, .40's have lower sectional density than 9's but there are always exceptions and usually to make them equal, you have to take the highest weight .40 bullet and compare to a lowest weight 9 bullet.  [Note: sectional density: long and thin vs. short and fat]

Popular bullet weight against popular bullet weight with similar purpose rounds, the 9 will penetrate better.  There's other things more important than penetration, so don't focus on one thing to the detriment of other, more important things (like reliability).  For example, the best penetration round regardless of caliber is almost always "full metal jacket" bullets.  These bullets suck for self defense since they usually drill nice little holes in the bad guy - which isn't good.

Accuracy in the type of guns we're referring to here will be hard, if not impossible, to measure.  You might could tell if you had a Ransom Rest (~$200 last time I looked), but then you have a gazillion factors to control such as bullet type, bullet weight, bullet velocity, gun manufacturer etc. etc. between two quite different calibers - not worth it for the purpose intended of self defense.

Oh, and if anyone thinks a 9mm will bounce off a human forehead, just hasn't shot many 1/4" steel plates with it.  Barring some miracle, like penetrating a car windshield from longer distance (e.g. the TX women recently), generally speaking it's gonna go in one end and stay or come out the other end at the ranges and ammo usually used for self-defense - either way, bad guy DRT. 

What's more likely to happen vs "bouncing off" is the bullet will skid between the skull and the skin and come out some other direction, pretty much leaving the victim with a bad headache.  This is an exception (and a highly unlikely exception), not the rule.  It certainly isn't a good reason to not buy the 9mm.

Buy what you want and what you're comfortable with and then load it with the most effective self-defense round and don't worry about what others think and especially don't worry about what some gun author thinks.  Unless you buy a Lorcin, Jennings or a Hi Point, they're all pretty good.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2008 at 3:18am

Doc and Jake, why did you guys choose the .40 instead of the 9mm?...

They enjoy spending 40% more on ammo.LOL

You can debate the 9mm/.40/.45 subject all day and never have agreement.  I've seen it and can tell you that a 9mm can knock a bad guy down and a .45 can let him keep moving.  It's mostly about where he's hit.  If you can't get a good hit you might as well throw rocks at him.  If I'm going to be good enough to make a good hit then I need to regularly spend time at the range.  With the 9mm I can put in a decent amount of range time, spend 40% less, and do it with a round that will stop the bad guy ...  9mm works for me.

Full size vs compact M&P - I have the full size and Cindy's is the compact.  They both handle and fire well, very little difference to me between them.  Empty weight is almost identical but with loaded magazines you can certainly tell the difference the extra five rounds makes, 17+1 vs 12+1.  If you are carrying concealed the compact is easier to cover but the full size will cover well with little more attention to detail.  Larry's is selling a lot of the compact, both 9mm & .40 cal., so that is probably why all he has on the shelf is the full size.  The compact comes with two magazines, one has the finger extension (which effectively makes the grip longer and gives your pinky a place to rest) and one doesn't.  If you contact S&W they will send you the extension for the other magazine.

Wasn't this thread about Glocks?  Sorry about that.

4RUNNERB12 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2008 at 6:47am

Yeah, I started the thread because I wanted to find a good/cheap used glock.  Since then I have realized there is no such thing, but everybody else seems to be buying the M&P's so I guess I will follow.  I just went to JC's guns and tackle, that place is as bad as Madison Guns.  They are selling used M&P's for $499, one clip, no box and alot of wear.

Thanks to Al and mdmTJ I now can join in on the caliber argument when I hear it come up.  I am just about conviced that I am going to get the full size 9mm M&P.  I am still going to check out the compact if they have anymore. 

Jake was the military version any more?  Where did you find it or did you have to ask for it?

74 CJ5
erickpl View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erickpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2008 at 6:57am
I have a 4" Kimber (Pro Carry II) which is I guess considered a compact, but not the smallest I can go, which I guess would be subcompact.  I like the compact size of that, so if I went with a 9, I'd consider the M&P9c, XD9c or something similar.  My wife REALLY wants external safeties, so the XD9 with the grip safety would be the most likely contender, though I still love the PPS.

My logic for 9 is the same as mdmTJ, more practice with less cost.  My Kimber still gets carried and still goes to the range, but a 9mm would get more work as my 'trainer' to become a better shot, then applying those skills to the Kimber in .45.

I am kinda thinking we need an RCRC shooting event at Larry's one evening or Saturday. ;)
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2008 at 8:33am

I'm not sure how we ended up with it actually.  It could be the fact that we asked that it have the capability to fire one round that is already chambered with a magazine absent.  It may be that version of the weapon that you should ask for.  I'm not sure that all of them have that capability.

Quite frankly, between a 9mm and .40 we can all argue it untill we're blue in the face.  We have a friend who works in an ER in Birmingham who routinely sees "folks" coming in there high on you name it with dents in their foreheads from 9mm rounds.

Pair that with the fact that it's the same caliber as my Ruger and the fact that Jennifer could still control a .40 just fine and maintain accuracy, we made our decision.

I leave the rest up to you.

There is one difference however that we have noticed between the S&W M&P 9mm and .40 and that is that Murphy's (mdmtj) 9mm ejects the casings straight up in the air and either into your face or down your shirt.  The .40 sends them clear over your right shoulder.  The only reason we can conclude is the energy produced by the .40 round is greater than that of the 9mm and therfore gives it better ejection efficiency.

The casings hitting you could be a bit distracting.  This is just something we've noticed since purchasing them.

Good luck.

___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Past RCRC - VP
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2008 at 9:19am

I ordered a good supply of .40 from Midwayusa.com after I bought the pistol.  Before I bought the pistol, I did some comparison pricing between the 9mm and the .40 and there wasnt enough price difference to notice, my recollection was it was less than a dollar for a box of 50.  Granted, if you are buying cor-bon supersplat armor-piercing anti-meth-head 10,000 fps rounds there may be a substantial difference. 

I just looked on Midway, and near as I can compare, 40 S&W 180 Grain Full Metal Jacket Steel Case Box of 50 is 12.29 and the 9mm Luger 115 Grain Full Metal Jacket Steel Case Berdan Primed Box of 50 is 9.09 Note the 115 grain versus 180 grain

Once noticeable point is that there are TONS of different loads and brands and such for the 9 wheres there are far fewer for the .40.  I believe this will change, as most police agencies are shifting over the .40.

Last point - when I was researching for my purchase, I came across a bunch of discussion somewhere about Glocks and cylinder failure, and there were reports of several ranges around the country which had actually banned certain models of the Glock.  I cant find that stuff now, but there were definitely some issues with certain models.  I guess it happens with every machine....

BRC Life Member
RL-RRC View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Curator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RL-RRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2008 at 9:27am
I have a Kimber 45, Glock 17 and Sig P229 in .357sig among others.  Out of those I carry the Sig, it has much more energy to me.  But after the nuclear winter I'll be using the Glock

Edited by RL-RRC
96 Lexus lx450
85 Toyota Truggy built by Don
02 Jeep WJ
Chance favors the prepared!

Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2008 at 4:57pm
I went to Larry's today and shot the 9 FS, .40FS, and .40compact (whats weird is I shot the best with the .40compact).  But I think I am going to get the 9mm, it will be cheaper to shoot and when I get pretty good at shooting this one I will get a 45.

Jake, I asked the guy about the one you got that shoots with out the clip and he said you had to be military or a cop to get that one.  He asked for your name so I told him John Smith .  I think you got lucky getting that one.

Edited by 4RUNNERB12
74 CJ5
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2008 at 5:02pm
What can I say, I know how to negotiate.

___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Past RCRC - VP
papa smurf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papa smurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2008 at 1:05am
its called a magazine, not a clip.
'96 grand cherokee. just for cruisin not bruisin
Al View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2008 at 2:13am

I went to Larry's today and shot the 9 FS, .40FS, and .40compact (whats weird is I shot the best with the .40compact).  But I think I am going to get the 9mm, it will be cheaper to shoot and when I get pretty good at shooting this one I will get a 45.

Jake, I asked the guy about the one you got that shoots with out the clip and he said you had to be military or a cop to get that one.  He asked for your name so I told him John Smith .  I think you got lucky getting that one.

As far as I know, only certain S&W autos have the magazine disconnect and it should be an option because some police departments order them that way.  Pain in the butt during "show clear" drills (standard IPSC drill - slide locked, magazine out, drop slide, fire weapon, holster).  It's a potential lifesaver for LEO's since they have a much greater chance of having their weapons taken from them.  It's a hindrance to us IMO.  I wouldn't get a handgun with one.

Edited by Al
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2008 at 3:49am

Jake, I asked the guy about the one you got that shoots with out the clip and he said you had to be military or a cop to get that one.

The guy is either wrong, or Larry's doesnt adhere to this.  To wit:

BRC Life Member
Al View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2008 at 4:06am
Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

Jake, I asked the guy about the one you got that shoots with out the clip and he said you had to be military or a cop to get that one.

The guy is either wrong, or Larry's doesnt adhere to this.  To wit:

[snip]

+1.  When it comes to firearms, you simply must apply critical thinking skills to what anyone tells you, especially if it comes from a gun shop.

For example, straight from S&W's site, took all of about 1.5 minutes to find.  Note the simple statement middle right:  "Magazine Disconnect - (Optional for LE/Gov't)"  http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/other/M P_FEATURES_AD.pdf

Edited by Al
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2008 at 5:12am
I ended up purchasing the full size S&W M&P 9mm yesterday.  Thanks for all the help.  Hey Doc, is that you gun in the picture with the CTC laser?  I want one of those.
74 CJ5
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2008 at 8:16am

Hey Doc, is that you gun in the picture with the CTC laser?  I want one of those.

Yep.  I like the crimson trace.

BRC Life Member
Al View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2008 at 12:57pm

I ended up purchasing the full size S&W M&P 9mm yesterday.  Thanks for all the help.  Hey Doc, is that you gun in the picture with the CTC laser?  I want one of those.

Great!  Check these guys out for a holster:  http://www.ravenconcealment.com/products.html

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 1:12am

Originally posted by cj8lvr cj8lvr wrote:

...There is one difference however that we have noticed between the S&W M&P 9mm and .40 and that is that Murphy's (mdmtj) 9mm ejects the casings straight up in the air and either into your face or down your shirt...

It seems to have been a break-in/operator issue because it consistantly throws the casing to the right rear now.  These weapons are bit more sensitive to how they are held than other auto pistols I've fired.  The "plastic" frame makes for a much lighter weapon than something like a 1911.  This lighter weight tends to make the shooter work a little harder maintaining a proper grip to absorb the recoil.  They are much more likely to have "limp wrist" issues which causes failure to eject problems and can also cause the casing to eject in unpredictable directions/distances.  The trigger pull has smoothed out a bit as well.

…  We have a friend who works in an ER in Birmingham who routinely sees "folks" coming in there high on you name it with dents in their foreheads from 9mm rounds…

Sounds more like a problem with shot placement than caliber selection.

Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

…  Before I bought the pistol, I did some comparison pricing between the 9mm and the .40 and there wasnt enough price difference to notice, my recollection was it was less than a dollar for a box of 50…

A 100 round box of Winchester target rounds at Wally world is $18+ for 9mm and $26+ for .40 cal.  There are better places to buy it but…

…I asked the guy about the one you got that shoots with out the clip and he said you had to be military or a cop to get that one…

Both of our M&Ps fire quite well with no magazine in the weapon.  It sounds like someone is a tad confused.

S&W is having some issues with mailing out the 2 rebate magazines for the 9mm.  Seems like they are sending out .357/.40 cal. magazines instead of 9mm.  When I got the .357/.40 magazines I sent S&W an email explaining what I had gotten.  They sent me a UPS shipping label to return the wrong magazines and said that the proper magazines would be mailed in about a week.  When I shipped the .357/.40 magazines back I enclosed a copy of the email I had sent them.  About a week later (a week ago) I got two 9mm magazines.  Saturday I got two more 9mm magazines with a copy of my email wrapped around them.  ??!!  So far I've gotten the $50 rebate check and four magazines ($26+/- each) out of this deal.  I can live with this.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 1:16am

Originally posted by Al Al wrote:

...Check these guys out for a holster:  http://www.ravenconcealment.com/products.html

These guys have some of the best customer service I've seen in a long time.  They make an excellent product as well.  http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35&am p;products_id=95&osCsid=5d9f59bf607d72da63f057c74bc4abe2

fatguy7814 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatguy7814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 2:00pm

I actually work part time at Larry's (trying to support my other habits).

To shine a little light on the firing with the magizine dropped, it has nothing to do with Law Enforcement or Military guns (The only thing different about those is that you get 3 hi cap mags with the gun instead of 2).  When S&W started making the M&P, it was produced without the mag disconnect which meant that the gun would fire without the mag in it.  Since many law enforcment agencies prefer a gun the have the mag disconnect they started manufacturing the majority of the guns with the disconnect which meant; no mag, no boom.

So it is no big deal that someone has one without it, just a coincidence.

And i don't even want to get started on the 9mm, .40 cal thing.  My hands won't hold up to that much typing.

cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 6:23am

Originally posted by fatguy7814 fatguy7814 wrote:

I actually work part time at Larry's (trying to support my other habits).

So, think you could talk to some upper management type folks and see if you could get Rocket City Rock Crawlers Members (providing proof of this) the discount y'all give to government contractors considering the recomendations for Larry's that have been shown on this forum alone?   I'm certainly a fan!

Originally posted by fatguy7814 fatguy7814 wrote:

And i don't even want to get started on the 9mm, .40 cal thing.  My hands won't hold up to that much typing.

___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Past RCRC - VP
erickpl View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erickpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 9:31am
That alone would be another great incentive to join RCRC...
Doc Savage View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 9:52am

So, think you could talk to some upper management type folks and see if you could get Rocket City Rock Crawlers Members (providing proof of this) the discount y'all give to government contractors considering the recomendations for Larry's that have been shown on this forum alone?   I'm certainly a fan!

Wish I'd known that little tidbit before we purchased our Sigma there (but with the rebates price was pretty unbeatable). I'll have to remember the govt. contractor discount when we eventually get another for Dei (she doesn't like the .40 "snap").

Robert
Past President, Rocket City Rock Crawlers
Past President, Madison County CERT Association
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 1:02pm
Mine actually says will shot without magazine on the side I didn't notice until I took it to the range. 

And Fatguy I asked the salesman to give me the government discount and he lied to me and said there was no discount, he was actually pretty rude about the hole sale, acted like I was bothering him or something.
74 CJ5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatguy7814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 4:43pm

There really isn't a government discount.

I'm gonna let the cat out of the bag... On almost every gun there is price slightly lower than what is on the tag, it is in top secret larry's code, that is why we always look at the tag when you ask us what the bottom dollar is.  I can't tell you the code but if we like you we will give anyone the super special price.

Whoever was giving you the government employee discount was just pulling your leg, they just gave you the bottom dollar price. 

And on anything that has a red sale sticker on it don't ask that is as cheap as it gets.

If y'all got any questions about anything there, ask me, and i will try to find out to save you a trip.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 1:04am
How much for a XD subcompact (3") 9mm?
erickpl View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erickpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 1:43am
You've got me thinking the same thing... I was thinking XD9 compact, not sub, but would be curious about the price difference between the two.  Would also be interested in the Walther PPS pricing...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatguy7814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 2:52am
There is a used subcompact XD9 up there right now for $350, new they are around $500, same for the fullsize
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic