Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuilding auto transmission

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebuilding auto transmission
    Posted: 04 January 2008 at 1:45am

I got a good deal on a 79 scout because it needed a tranny rebuild.  I am starting to look for a good/ reputable place to have this done, also figured this might not have been covered in a while and others might have the same needs.  I called Automatic Transmission service on washington they said they would do it for $850.  Anyone know of anyone else, cheaper is better.

Tranny: 727 Torqueflight

74 CJ5
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member
Have you seen my 9/16" socket?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2008 at 1:49am
I've had good experience with Ditto transmission but its out towards Morgan City on 231.
06 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited all torn apart.

alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2008 at 2:34am
Check with RCO, 883-1131
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
Doc Savage View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2008 at 3:37am
What ever you do don't take it to the place on Bob Wallace and the Parkway (Aamco I think). They really screwed me over on my old caddy tranny several years ago (maybe the ownership's changed, but I'm still leery of them). I had good luck with the Mr. Tranmission (I think that's who it was) on south parkway just north of the super Walmart. They did a good job on the tranny in my S-10 years ago. Danny at RCO did swap the tranny in my 98 TJ. It was a manual and in so many pieces there was no rebuilding to it ;) Not sure if they do autos or not.

Robert
Past President, Rocket City Rock Crawlers
Past President, Madison County CERT Association
4RUNNERB12 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2008 at 7:15am

Thanks for the replies, Morgan city is kinda a hual and I have heard the same thing about Aamco, they ahve a bad reputation and a high price.  I didn't know Danny rebuilt transmissions.  I am going to give him a call to see what he would charge, $850 sounded not too bad too me.  I was expecting $2000 or something.

Edited by 4RUNNERB12
74 CJ5
Doc Savage View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2008 at 7:33am
I think you meant $200 not $2000 if $850 sounds high. I think you are going to be suprised, auto tranny work is expensive.

Robert
Past President, Rocket City Rock Crawlers
Past President, Madison County CERT Association
4RUNNERB12 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2008 at 10:23am
No, I was expecting to pay like $2000 to get it rebuilt.  When I was told $850 I almost took it down there, I just wanted to see what else was out there.
74 CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic