Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Truggy Needs Top

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
Hail HURTS...aske me how I know!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Truggy Needs Top
    Posted: 26 September 2006 at 4:36pm

Guys,

I need some of the Jeep guys (JAKE) and others to tell me how wide the windscreen is on jeeps such as a CJ-8 Scrambler and what the distance is from the windscreen to the cage area just behind the rear seats.  The reaason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of using a Besttop bikini top for a Scrambler on the Truggy.  The Truggy needs a top about 38" wide by about 72" long.  I talked to a guy at Bestop and he could not tell me sizes of their products??? I'm also talking with a couple of shops (Norm's and Auto Seat Cover) in Huntsville about building a four piece custom soft top (top, sides and back).  If anyone knows of other shops that they would reccomend please let me know.

thanks,

Don

1985 ToyBuggy w/TBI GM4.3/TH350, Marlin doubler, 4.88's, locked front & rear, 37" TSL SXII, and other stuff.
jpwrangler View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Past President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpwrangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2006 at 7:46am
I have a bikini top you can try out and see how it fits.  The channel on the windscreen and some footman loops are about all the hardware you need.
95 YJ, SOA, Tera 4:1 kit, SYE, ARBs, 4.56, York onboard air, Warn 9500, 36" IROK SS, Chromoly axles, Hi9 rear, Teraflex hi steer

2022 Ram 2500 CTD, 4X4

Paul
Club Past President
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2006 at 8:21am

Aw hail Don - I'll look this evening!

___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
jr hall View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jr hall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2006 at 10:45am
i used a cj-5 top, works fine
http://www.myspace.com/jrhall1985
88` toyo truggy- 36in tsl,dual cases, 22re,detroits, 4.88s, chromo 30-splines longfeilds,beadlox,half doors, narrowed,dovetailed adn bobbed, hydroassist,
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2006 at 12:35pm

My Scrambler's windshield frame is about 55-56" wide and from the windshield frame back to even with the end of the tub (Tailgate) is right at 8'.  Not sure how that would work.  I met a guy with a Scrambler down in Hartselle with some kind of custom top on it.  He told me a little about it and that he had somebody make it for him somewhere "locally" - possibly in Hartselle.  He e-mailed me not to long ago so I'll dig up the e-mail and ask him more about it.  You are looking for a canvas material top right?  I think you'll probably have to have it custom made.  Seriously doubt you'll find anyone out there with one already made that will fit right but I may be wrong.

___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2006 at 3:23pm

Thanks for the information guys!  I'm currently trying to put a windshield on the truggy.  I took a template to EPI in Huntsville and had them cut one out of Polycarbonate.  Now that I have it I don't know that I want to use it as I put scratches all over it just brushing dust off it in my shop.  It's supposed to be really strong stuff but seems to really scratch easy.

Don

1985 ToyBuggy w/TBI GM4.3/TH350, Marlin doubler, 4.88's, locked front & rear, 37" TSL SXII, and other stuff.
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2006 at 3:34pm
There are plastic polishes out there that use to buff out the scratches.  check a place like Eastwood. www.eastwood.com
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2006 at 4:09pm

Bob,

I just looked at that web site....maybe there is hope yet!

Don

Mike_LaMar View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_LaMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2006 at 10:25am
Don,

I used Specialty Top Company (formally Kay Line)out of Colorado. Also you can check with boat top companies, a lot of them do custom boat covers and tops.

Mike
2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 4" Superlift Suspension, 37" Toyo MTs

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2006 at 12:59pm

Will do thanks........Mike!

Don

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic