Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Classified Ads > For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1985 Toyota based Buggy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1985 Toyota based Buggy
    Posted: 12 June 2021 at 10:16am
In preparation for retirement, I'm paring down my toys, so I'm looking to sell the Donstrosity. Between Covid and the kids' sports schedules I've not been able to use it as much as planned. It's a 1985 Toyota XtraCab based buggy with a GM 4.3 TBI engine with TH350 transmission. It has dual transfer cases with Marlin Crawler doubler, 4.88 gears on full Detroit Lockers lockers front & rear, 37" TSL SX II tires, 9K Warn winch with synthetic cable, LED lights, and lots of other stuff. It has several trail spares (driveshaft flange, Birfields, belts, hoses, gaskets, bearings, etc.) stashed here and there. Asking $6,500, located near Athens, AL. 
1984 Toyota pickup, locked 5.29s, dual cases, Longfields, 22R with low range cam and header.
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2021 at 8:49pm
Sold
1984 Toyota pickup, locked 5.29s, dual cases, Longfields, 22R with low range cam and header.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 12:52am
Those photos bring back a lot of memories, both good and bad.  Don put together quite a vehicle.  It always amazed me were it could go.  

I remember coming upon a family in a stranded jeep on a long steep exposed hill in colorado.  It was about half way up and to far to reach with a winch cable from the top.  The driver was too scared to try and back down.  It was well above tree line, so no trees to catch you if you mess up.  Don just drives up to the top of the hill then backs all the way back down to the guy, puts it in park, gets out and hooks a tow strap up to the guy and drags him to the top of the hill.

I also got real quick at finding my horn button when following Don on the trail because I don't think he could see anything behind him when backing up.  :)  :(

Edited by 98TJ - 20 July 2021 at 12:55am
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 6:38pm
Ryan Lozier bought Don's old buggy. I hope he does a lot of riding with it. 
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 7:23pm
I don't know if Don figured out how to see where he was going in reverse, but I didn't get to drive it enough to get the hang of it. That high mounted spare tire definitely impacts your ability to see while backing up.

The good news in this is you might get to see this rig on future RCRC rides. The guy who bought it is planning on going to the trail maintenance ride next week.
stout22 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 7:57am
That is good news, I hope we do see it at RCRC events
stout22

76 Bronco

302, EFI, C4 Auto, 4.3 Atlas, 3.5" lift, 1" body, locked d44 and Locked 9"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic