FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Imogene wreck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
unlblkrubi View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlblkrubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Imogene wreck
    Posted: 23 August 2019 at 9:56am
This seems to be holding some interest so here is an AAR on the Black Bear Pass roll-over. 

Kinda long but... 
info is good I think. 

How it happened-
The driver had some, but not a lot of, experience with CO pass/4x4 driving and was on a solo trip. He was in a lightly modified 2015 TRD PRO 4RUNNER. Stock suspension, 285 70 17 tires. No other true performance type mods observed. Tepui tent mounted on SSO rack. Not normally considered “performance parts” but.... I’ll get there later. Driver recalls feeling the inside line was safer considering the water and light mud on the bedrock trail surface. There is still snow at the entrance to the stairs. He described rolling over a stair with his front left tire dropping and having his steering wheel jerk to the right. The right side climbed as the left dropped in what I would describe (without seeing it) as a slowish roll to the driver’s side then the stopping (fortunately) on the top. The driver self extricated without any major injuries we are aware of. 

A passerby called the accident in. A SAR member with an EMT who both work in the area responded in a Razor and checked the driver for injuries then gave him a ride down to the top of Bridal Veil where he was transferred to a paramedic and ultimately the Telluride Med Center. 

I went up to assess the scene and help make arrangements for the “tow”. There was some evidence on the vehicle and the rocks of what the driver described to me after he was released from the Telluride Med Center. It looked like he hooked the front passenger tire on the mountain side rock wall and had good traction, good enough to climb and roll. The interesting part in my mind was that he stopped rolling. I’m giving credit to the tent and rack landing on a random rock that happened to be on the side of the road. The combination of those three things was enough to balance the Toyota on the edge of the cliff. As it sat I’m fairly sure if any of those thee would have been gone he would have gone over the edge. Also the gear was tough enough that it didn’t crush or come apart, much, and likely saved a life or at least kept the driver and dog from serious injury. If any of the designers or manufacturers of those two items are in town look me up I’ll by the first round. I appreciate not scraping another person off the mountain, Thank You. 

The recovery-
Credit here goes to my friends Stuart (Telluride Towing and Telluride Tire) and Nico le frog. Stuart grew up here, is a very accomplished off road driver and the best tow operator in the area. Nico didn’t grow up here 🐸😜 and is one of the best industrial riggers on the western slope, also a SAR volunteer. We are fortunate to have folks like them around. There were not enough good anchors to hold  a vehicle pushing 6700# or more with gear. So Nico drilled holes for 1” bolts to be placed. One behind and two above and to the side. The holes are slightly larger than the bolt which is inserted deep with the threads to create more friction. When done the bolts are easily removed. He then attached 2000# come-alongs to each. The one in the back was to keep the Toyota from going down farther and to pivot it. The other two were to roll the Toyota back on its wheels. 

Pre drive prep-
Once on it’s wheels. The brakes were bled, for power assisted brakes turn on the ignition (not engine) to activate the pump 🤔. The tire that rolled off the bead as it came back over was inflated. Then after about 24 hours turtled it fired right up, just a little smoke. Gotta love a Toyota engine!  We kept it tethered for a bit to give the breaks a function check while slowly moving down the steps about a vehicle length. Then just drove it down. 

Do you know what the name of the game is?
Don’t fuck up! 
-Jim Murphy

My takeaways- FYI I’m not judging anyone here. 

When ever possible go with a friend, if unsure use a spotter. Someone who hopefully has a bit of knowledge helps too. 

Take it slow and be ready to stop. 

Research you route, maps and info are fun. 

Get out and scout your line. 

Know your abilities and the capability of your equipment. They may not match. 

Buy good solid parts, your life and the lives of your passengers depend on them. 

Stay in your lane, or at least close enough to get back in it without dire consequences. 

The SSO rack has been moved to the short list. 

And in Colorado get a COSAR card it might save you some money when you do fuck up. 

Happy Trails!
'18 Renegade Trailhawk
'15 JKUR-Warn-AEV-Rigid-KC-ARB

stout22 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 12:06pm
That guy is very fortunate! It looks like he's on the edge of the world.
stout22

76 Bronco

302, EFI, C4 Auto, 4.3 Atlas, 3.5" lift, 1" body, locked d44 and Locked 9"
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 10:48am
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 10:41am
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2019 at 6:19pm
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2019 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by unlblkrubi unlblkrubi wrote:

Black Bear open 1 day and already a rollover at the steps. 

I would not want to roll there.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2019 at 4:10pm
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlblkrubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2019 at 3:29pm
Black Bear open 1 day and already a rollover at the steps. 
'18 Renegade Trailhawk

stout22 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2019 at 7:49am
I should not have watched that! I just hand surgery yesterday and now my hand is throbbing.
I have the same bad habit
stout22

76 Bronco

98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2019 at 1:13pm
Not for squeamish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am_qEIvCoGw
This video "broke" me of some of my bad habits.
stout22 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2019 at 12:35pm
I've tried to put grab spots on the inside of the cage but when things go bad you tend to not think that far ahead. I caught myself grabbing my cage when off camber.
stout22

76 Bronco

98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2019 at 11:36am
Most folks don't survive a roll that far seat belted in.  I never wear my seatbelt on those trails.  I wonder if they went off nose first and/or slid and maybe didn't roll all 450'?  They also seemed to have some vegetation in their path instead of just air.  Very lucky for two 72 years olds to survive that.  There were some other photos on fb which showed one of their hands got messed up pretty bad.  Hard not to grab the roll bar in a case like that.
stout22 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2019 at 7:31am
Rolling over once is bad enough. I can't imagine going for 450 feet!
stout22

76 Bronco

Recon View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2019 at 6:49am
The factory roll bar held up well. They are lucky they lived.

98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2019 at 11:20am
Royer Gulch location on map.

Apparently, this is where they left the trail.  Looks like he may have gotten up too high on the right, rolled over on the road and then continued off the trail.  That's how a lot of those accidents happen out there, not getting too close to the edge, but running the front tire up the highside then rolling over.

Appears they stayed in the jeep.  Amazing they survived.  Doesn't mention anyone riding with them or anyone seeing them crash.  If she had not been able to call 911, they may still be there.  Even though it is considered an easy trail, there are lots of places on Imogene that scare me.

Edited by 98TJ - 18 August 2019 at 11:25am
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlblkrubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2019 at 11:05pm
'18 Renegade Trailhawk

RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlblkrubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2019 at 10:57pm
*IMOGENE PASS RESCUE*
 A multi-agency technical rope rescue with threats of rockfall was required to rescue a couple who rolled their Jeep approximately 450 feet down steep terrain off Tomboy Road near Royer Gulch on their way to Telluride. It’s believed the incident occurred some time before the wife was able to place a call to 911. More than 35 people including Telluride Fire Protection District EMS and Fire personnel, San Miguel Sheriff’s Deputies, San Miguel County Search and Rescue and willing bystanders participated in the nearly five hour mission. The Montrose  couple, both 72yrs-old, sustained multiple, critical injuries, and were transported by Telluride EMS to the Telluride Medical Center and then flown by medical helicopters to St. Mary’s Hospital in Grand Junction. 
Photos Courtesy of San Miguel Sheriff's Office.
'18 Renegade Trailhawk

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic