Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why don't John ever post any cool video like this?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why don't John ever post any cool video like this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why don't John ever post any cool video like this?
    Posted: 12 April 2019 at 8:43pm
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2019 at 7:27am
He's too busy cuttin' trees and fabbin' parts.  And building my Toyota diff.  And birthin' babies.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2019 at 8:46am
I also don't have a go pro. I keep thinking about getting one. I thought it would be really cool to attach it to the head of my crane pointed down while we are doing a job. 
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 9:33am
Originally posted by 83K10 83K10 wrote:

I also don't have a go pro. I keep thinking about getting one. I thought it would be really cool to attach it to the head of my crane pointed down while we are doing a job. 

I have two, LMK if you want to borrow them.  They do not work very well at a distance of more than maybe 30-40 feet, the lenses are so wide angle.  They are old Hero3+ but work pretty well.  I also have a Sena "backpack" when lets you include Sena coms audio in the recording.

BRC Life Member
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 9:51am
Go pro sales are way down.  They are looking for a buy out and may have to shut the doors....... or so the internet says.
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 10:11am
I wondered how it would do long range like that. Maybe I could do a mount on the crane ball. That might make you sick to watch if it spins around. I guess I could always attach it to my climbing helmet. 
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by 98TJ 98TJ wrote:

Go pro sales are way down.  They are looking for a buy out and may have to shut the doors....... or so the internet says.

Im not surprised - they priced themselves waaaay too high, and they seriously overcomplicated their product.  The gopro app was once a rock-solid useful tool, now I dont use it at all unless I need to see the image coming off the camera to adjust it or something.  There are a bunch of new competitors out there which seem to work as well or better and dont do stupid things like forcing you to have your GPS on to use the control app.

BRC Life Member
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2019 at 7:37pm
I might take you up on borrowing one just to try it out. I'm quite often over 40 ft off the ground so I'm afraid they may not really take good video. Are the newer ones any better? I've considered doing this as a form of advertisement. Maybe put some of them on our facebook page that I haven't touched. It might be cool to take some video of machining some parts in the shop as well. 
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2019 at 6:41am
Originally posted by 83K10 83K10 wrote:

I might take you up on borrowing one just to try it out. I'm quite often over 40 ft off the ground so I'm afraid they may not really take good video. Are the newer ones any better? I've considered doing this as a form of advertisement. Maybe put some of them on our facebook page that I haven't touched. It might be cool to take some video of machining some parts in the shop as well. 

It will work for all of this, but its probably going to make the ground look very far away.  Heck, try it and see.  The newer ones are pretty much the same in this respect.  You can get new lenses for the little protective clamshell case which give it a narrower field of view, and make things look closer.

For the tree service, I would put one on whoever is up in the tree or on the ball (a helmet mount) and another on someone on the ground or on a tripod.  For the fabrication, you can use your phone and / or the GoPro.  Its easy to trim and join the videos, overlay music, or use audio from one clip over video from another clip using a video editing app like Openshot....but it can be very time-consuming.  The GoPro app will do this also, but I just dont like how the GoPro apps wraps its arms around you and makes demands.  The GoPro app also takes a LOT longer in my experience.  Expect about an hour for every minute of video if you are editing, unless you are just directly using the video with no mods.

Openshot has lots of user-generated how-tos out there, like this one.  If you go record some videos, I will do the editing for you if you want and help you get started on it.  This may be where you think about a new PC - converting videos can really take a lot of PC horsepower.

Be careful with Facebook.  I believe if you read the Facebook Terms-of-Service (which is a massive tome) you will find that every picture, every post, every video becomes property of Facebook.  For an individual this may be OK, but for a business?  Not so much.  This is why I put mine on Youtube, which you can easily post to FB (or anywhere else, such as on this forum) as a link.

Edited by alabamatoy - 17 April 2019 at 6:44am

BRC Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic