Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Vehicle Considerations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_LaMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Vehicle Considerations
    Posted: 22 March 2018 at 10:41am
Krystal and I are considering going the minivan route for the primary family of five logistics solution. We have been researching the market and wanted to pole some of our trusted advisors as to y'alls experience in the segment. Our primary candidates so far are the Chrysler Pacifica and Toyota Sienna the only thing off the table is the Caravan because, IMHO, they are just flat out ugly. All advice is welcome, and thank you in advance.
2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 4" Superlift Suspension, 37" Toyo MTs

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2018 at 9:12am
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
sixty5vdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sixty5vdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2018 at 1:51pm
We rented a Ford Explorer when we were on vacation in Orlando.  Third row seating gave us plenty of room for 5 people and there was still room for our luggage.

And they look a little cooler than a minivan, IMO.

I have actually considered buying one, and I have never been a Ford guy.

My .02

'07 JK Unlimited Rubicon, more bolt ons, a couple of weld ons, and two extra cylinders

'70 VW Fastback, few bolt ons

'65 VW Beetle, mostly unbolted
Doc Savage View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2018 at 8:45pm
When we went the van route we went with a Kia. It was a 2009 and a knock off of the Toyota, but way better price. I really liked it better than the Chryslers as it had better horsepower and tow capacity. Build quality was pretty good too, and I was impressed with the motor and tranny. Came standard with a manual auto. We put 175K miles on it and it was purring like a kitten when my son totaled it on the parkway. Only motor work had been a sparkplug change. I did have a time that I had a weird oil issue (think two oils didn't mix well). Oil was fairly congealed when I changed it. Some seafoam and some closely spaced changes and it was purring again and ran for a couple of years after that. In that time we had a few scratches on the interior from hauling things, but everything was holding up well. We really liked it.

Robert
Past President, Rocket City Rock Crawlers
Past President, Madison County CERT Association
NOT4HWY View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOT4HWY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2018 at 4:06pm
We did the minivan thing. We had the Chrysler Town & Country. 3.6 drank the oil but it was a known defect with those engines. It needed new front rotors every 25-30k miles but nothing else. The thing about minivans is they are very comfortable driving taking everyone and everything getting ok mileage but, buy used from rental agent because they lose value fast like a cadillac.
Club member since 1992, Club President 1995-1999 Trail rig:S-Blazer,Rockwells,507 Caddy,T-400,203/205, Tow-rig: '23 F350 4x4
magichelmt View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magichelmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 9:29am
I looked long and hard at this segment a couple of years ago.   It came down to the Odyssey and Sienna for me.   They are both fine vehicles, but I could not stomach spending 40K on one.   Ended up with a 5y/o Odyssey touring with all the bells and whistles for about 14k.   Drives great and the wife loves it.   
88 Toyota 4x4
BlackBird View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 1:51pm
Pacifica has the hybrid now. Also, may want to look at a Grand Cherokee or Durango depending on exactly what you are after. Agree that buying used is the way to go in this segment, but I always look for something still in warranty for at least a little bit so its still fairly new and covered if something goes south but without the new value hit.
Michael Crandall
Monrovia Volunteer FF/Driver
Mine - 2024 Ram 2500 Rebel
Hers - 2023 Jeep GC 4xE Trailhawk
78CJChic View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78CJChic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2018 at 9:17am
I absolutely will not own a minivan. But that's just me...My sister has a Subaru...i'm not sure exactly which one, but it's an SUV with 3rd row seating. She has been happy with it. The nice thing about hers is that the seats fold up and down independently in the third row. You can use one or the other if both are not needed. I'm sure most third row seats work in this manner.
Mike_LaMar View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_LaMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2018 at 9:26am
Thank you all for input. We have been on the fence but will be test driving this weekend. We have an 08 Sequoia still and it has tons of space but gets 16mpg. Our struggle with SUVs vs. minivan is space vs. efficiency. Luggage for 5 on a one week trip with a cooler and snacks just takes a lot of space. We had a 2018 Pacifica on our trip to Orlando this week, it worked pretty well and got almost 28mpg. So looking at space, efficiency, and reliability is our 3 main categories. We picked up Krystals Journey yesterday and it's still not defrosting the windows correctly. The service manager offered us his friends and family discount on a trade in because the dealer and Chrysler cant figure it out.
2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 4" Superlift Suspension, 37" Toyo MTs

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower
BlackBird View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2018 at 1:10pm
are you using the service department at Landers? They are incompetent. Simple fixes on my jeep a couple years ago resulted in 6 trips to fix things that they broke or screwed up when fixing the first issue. They didn't even get those right.
Michael Crandall
Monrovia Volunteer FF/Driver
Mine - 2024 Ram 2500 Rebel
Hers - 2023 Jeep GC 4xE Trailhawk
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2018 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by BlackBird BlackBird wrote:

are you using the service department at Landers? They are incompetent. Simple fixes on my jeep a couple years ago resulted in 6 trips to fix things that they broke or screwed up when fixing the first issue. They didn't even get those right.

Yep.  I have had excellent results with the parts people.....but vehicle sales and service are awful.
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic