Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeep CJ First Car

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevordavis0521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep CJ First Car
    Posted: 30 March 2015 at 6:32am
Hi I am 15 and about to turn 16 in 2 months, Ive been around Jeeps and offroading all my life and its my favorite hobby. My Dad owns a white 1979 Jeep CJ-5 with a 4 inch lift and TSL super swampers and he has owned it for about 20 years. For my first car Im trying to pick up a Jeep CJ-7 with a 304. I am trying to get an answer out of more experienced offroaders who have owned Jeep CJ's and done the whole project. I was wondering what you have done to your Jeep CJ that you wish you had done differently?
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2015 at 8:31am
Trevor,

I've had a CJ-7 for 22 years. It was bone stock when I bought it. I can't think of anything that I've done to it that I would do differently. It was built step by step, as budget allowed. Here's how mine progressed:

2 inch lift kit and 31 inch tires
2 inch body lift
Regear from 2.73:1 to 4.56:1, 33 inch tires and Ox Lockers front and rear
4 inch lift kit, 35 inch tires, Warn winch
Spring over, and 36 inch tires

Over that time, I've also replaced 2 motors, and now am running a fuel injected 4.0 from a 1998 TJ. I think the best advice I can give is to wheel what you have and gradually upgrade as your skill level increases. Have fun with it!

~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

trevordavis0521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevordavis0521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 2:38am
Originally posted by CJ7OX CJ7OX wrote:

Trevor,

I've had a CJ-7 for 22 years. It was bone stock when I bought it. I can't think of anything that I've done to it that I would do differently. It was built step by step, as budget allowed. Here's how mine progressed:

2 inch lift kit and 31 inch tires
2 inch body lift
Regear from 2.73:1 to 4.56:1, 33 inch tires and Ox Lockers front and rear
4 inch lift kit, 35 inch tires, Warn winch
Spring over, and 36 inch tires

Over that time, I've also replaced 2 motors, and now am running a fuel injected 4.0 from a 1998 TJ. I think the best advice I can give is to wheel what you have and gradually upgrade as your skill level increases. Have fun with it!

Thanks for the advice, I plan on keeping it a daily driver for the next few years but will adventually become a crawl rig.
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 3:10am
Mine was a daily driver for about 10 years. Even though I now have a tow-rig and trailer, I still drive it off road as if I had to drive it to work the next day. Keeps me from breaking too much stuff! LOL
~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 3:20am
CJ owner for 20 years.
My Dad and I found a Scrambler a few months before I turned 16.

Lots of thoughts here.  
Number one, sounds like your Dad will be of assistance when it breaks.  Yes, when.  This is a plus. Another HUGE advantage you have in your favor is this little thing that happened within the last 20 years called THE INTERNET.  The volumes of information to be sorted through can be overwhelming at times but of particular value - something I didn't have starting out - just a Haynes and Chilton manual.  I also have a factory service manual as well so between the three - torque specs, some procedures, useful but no internet.  Aftermarket is still decent for the CJ model.  True, JK's are all the rage and that's where things in the aftermarket are shifting but they still support CJ's, too.  

What would I do differently?
Not much. 
What did I do? 
Dad and I always fixed it as it broke, keeping it simple, upgrading it at the time of the break if feasible, but keeping it simple.  Rarely did I ever upgrade something outside of a break.  Every now and then I'd come across a weakness and catch it in time before it broke and at that time, upgrade.

Opinion of things to look for in CJ's:
1) Engine: 304 it OK.  4.0L swapped in will get you better mileage and probably be more reliable if you can find one.  Better mileage is all relative of course.  However, my Scrambler with a 4.0L and 3.73 gears with 33 A/T tires and aluminum wheels can get up to 18-19 highway miles.  Averages around 16-16 around town.  
2) Axles:  If the Jeep has an AMC 20 rear, ask the seller if it has one or two piece axle shafts in the rear.  If two, expect a couple hundred bucks to upgrade those to one piece - much safer.
3) Transmission - great time to learn to drive a manual.  T176 is a good transmission.  Try and find a Jeep with one in it already. 
4) Tire size and lift:  for a 15 year old learning to drive....31-33" tire with a small lift should be fine for you with a sway bar still in it.  Handling a big lifted Jeep with huge tires, lift, no sway bar - dangerous scenario for an inexperienced driver.

Buy a CJ.  No matter what happens, as long as you fix it yourself, it'll be a great experience and you'll learn sooooooo much more than if you'd bought nearly anything else.  Easy to work on, parts still available, tremendous online support when you get stumped, not a Honda.

___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
unlblkrubi View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlblkrubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 4:51am
Trevor is a neighbor of mine. Very impressive young man when it comes to mechanical things. Between his mini bikes and 4 wheelers and getting the riding mower I threw away that he got running. Very hands on.
'18 Renegade Trailhawk
'15 JKUR-Warn-AEV-Rigid-KC-ARB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevordavis0521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 5:26am
Originally posted by unlblkrubi unlblkrubi wrote:

Trevor is a neighbor of mine. Very impressive young man when it comes to mechanical things. Between his mini bikes and 4 wheelers and getting the riding mower I threw away that he got running. Very hands on.
Thanks for the support, Ive built a few engines in the past. Nice LJ by the way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevordavis0521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 5:33am
Originally posted by cj8lvr cj8lvr wrote:

CJ owner for 20 years.
My Dad and I found a Scrambler a few months before I turned 16.

Lots of thoughts here.  
Number one, sounds like your Dad will be of assistance when it breaks.  Yes, when.  This is a plus. Another HUGE advantage you have in your favor is this little thing that happened within the last 20 years called THE INTERNET.  The volumes of information to be sorted through can be overwhelming at times but of particular value - something I didn't have starting out - just a Haynes and Chilton manual.  I also have a factory service manual as well so between the three - torque specs, some procedures, useful but no internet.  Aftermarket is still decent for the CJ model.  True, JK's are all the rage and that's where things in the aftermarket are shifting but they still support CJ's, too.  

What would I do differently?
Not much. 
What did I do? 
Dad and I always fixed it as it broke, keeping it simple, upgrading it at the time of the break if feasible, but keeping it simple.  Rarely did I ever upgrade something outside of a break.  Every now and then I'd come across a weakness and catch it in time before it broke and at that time, upgrade.

Opinion of things to look for in CJ's:
1) Engine: 304 it OK.  4.0L swapped in will get you better mileage and probably be more reliable if you can find one.  Better mileage is all relative of course.  However, my Scrambler with a 4.0L and 3.73 gears with 33 A/T tires and aluminum wheels can get up to 18-19 highway miles.  Averages around 16-16 around town.  
2) Axles:  If the Jeep has an AMC 20 rear, ask the seller if it has one or two piece axle shafts in the rear.  If two, expect a couple hundred bucks to upgrade those to one piece - much safer.
3) Transmission - great time to learn to drive a manual.  T176 is a good transmission.  Try and find a Jeep with one in it already. 
4) Tire size and lift:  for a 15 year old learning to drive....31-33" tire with a small lift should be fine for you with a sway bar still in it.  Handling a big lifted Jeep with huge tires, lift, no sway bar - dangerous scenario for an inexperienced driver.

Buy a CJ.  No matter what happens, as long as you fix it yourself, it'll be a great experience and you'll learn sooooooo much more than if you'd bought nearly anything else.  Easy to work on, parts still available, tremendous online support when you get stumped, not a Honda.

Nice, Tire size doesnt matter when it comes to learning how to drive lol, I already have been driving for 2 years. Ive driven on 35"s quite a few times though.

Edited by trevordavis0521 - 31 March 2015 at 7:49am
78CJChic View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78CJChic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2015 at 5:51am
I wouldn't want to have a daily driver that isn't fuel injected. Yes, you can buy an off road carb, but they are expensive. Fuel mileage on a 304 is not going to be super great like Jake said. I had a 360 and the carb washed the rings...which made it smoke...when the head gasket went, I decided to do a Chevy LS swap. If you are dead set on going with a 304, I recommend fuel injecting it...that's what we were doing when my head gasket went out on me.    

Mine is a CJ5, but it was very much a project jeep...it started out as an 83 with no title. Then, we bought a 78 with a bad engine & trans...no wiring, no seats, no dash...pretty much just a tub. We swapped everything over from the 83 to the 78...I'm going on my third engine (once I get this one in). Axles have been completely rebuilt to one piece shafts, lower, gears, locker (front), and Spool (rear). Transmission has been rebuilt. Fuel lines and hoses have been replaced.

My advice is to sit down and really think about what you want and what your budget realistically will be. Yes, you may be able to do the labor yourself, but it takes a lot of time and parts can be expensive. My Jeep is my baby, because of the amount of time and money we've put in it and it's really just a beater jeep. Spray paint body and in good mechanical condition...no major dents or dings. We thought we were going to get an inexpensive Jeep, but it got expensive quick. Just know what the parts cost, so you won't be blind sided. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy something someone has been working on than one that needs a lot of tender love and care.  

Two things that I think are important to look at when buying an older jeep is to carefully inspect the frame. The rear spring hangers tend to rot away. Also, I recommend replacing the fuel lines. The last thing you want to do is put a lot of time and money into a Jeep to lose it to a fire. Just my 2 cents. I love my Jeep and wouldn't trade her for anything.
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2015 at 3:13am
J-ust
E-mpty
E-very
P-ocket

I love my CJ, but they are a never ending project (like most 4x4s intended for use off-road). The big take away from all this, is have fun with it, learn how to work on it, and don't be surprised when it starts getting expensive.
~Sean

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevordavis0521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2015 at 6:42am

J-ust
E-mpty
E-very
P-ocket

I love my CJ, but they are a never ending project (like most 4x4s intended for use off-road). The big take away from all this, is have fun with it, learn how to work on it, and don't be surprised when it starts getting expensive.
Oh I know about the never ending projects and how expensive they can get. Ive seen my dad buying new parts for his about once a month, and Ive had quite a few small projects that can get expensive so I will not be surprised at all. 
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2015 at 3:01am

J-ust
E-mpty
E-very
P-ocket

^This. Most CJ owners get unhappy because they have unrealistic expectations of how much maintenance and upkeep a 30 year old jeep requires. That said, they are a ton of fun and a project that you can really enjoy as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic