Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sand blasting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sand blasting
    Posted: 12 February 2015 at 12:57am
Does anyone know where I can get a Ford 9" balsted in the HSV/Athens area?
stout22

76 Bronco

302, EFI, C4 Auto, 4.3 Atlas, 3.5" lift, 1" body, locked d44 and Locked 9"
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2015 at 1:39am
Call Dave Wright at Kreative Koatings 256-262-4327. He's over on Cambridge Ln just off 72 east of Athens. I've had him do powder for me on stuff I've built as well as blasting. He does good work. 
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2015 at 2:37am
Dave is closer to you Rodgers - I will throw out another name here though - Ricky Shaneyfelt - he's over in Owens Crossroads.  He, too, does good work.  256-527-8720
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2015 at 11:51am
Work on the Arsenal?  The MWR autocraft shop has a large sandblast cabinet.  I have used it, works pretty well.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
stout22 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2015 at 12:41am
Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

Work on the Arsenal?  The MWR autocraft shop has a large sandblast cabinet.  I have used it, works pretty well.

This would be one time I wished I worked on the Arsenal. Got quotes of $125 -$150 to blast it. I guess I'll see what I can do with a side grinder and wire brush.Dead
stout22

76 Bronco

302, EFI, C4 Auto, 4.3 Atlas, 3.5" lift, 1" body, locked d44 and Locked 9"
Luther Grimace View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luther Grimace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2015 at 2:36pm
What all do you have to do to work in the MWR shop if you work on the arsenal?
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2015 at 3:00am
You just have to attend an orientation and safety training session. I believe the have them every Saturday. You can get the information from the autocraft shop.
~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

christiansen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christiansen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2015 at 4:01am
Originally posted by Luther Grimace Luther Grimace wrote:

What all do you have to do to work in the MWR shop if you work on the arsenal?

Here's the website with all the information:

BlackBird View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2015 at 7:41am
I use the mwr shop frequently. You can also take up to 2 or 3 guests on base and to the shop with you. They can even be the ones driving. They are limited as to what they can do in the shop however, versus what the shop managers require the badge holder to do.
Michael Crandall
Monrovia Volunteer FF/Driver
Mine - 2024 Ram 2500 Rebel
Hers - 2023 Jeep GC 4xE Trailhawk
bkubisht View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkubisht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2015 at 1:24am
CR Wallace
(256) 828-0003
422 Loveless Rd, Hazel Green, AL  35750

That place is AWESOME, they do a terrific job and the price is right.  I had an axle housing done, and believe it was $50.  They also will coat it with 'industrial machine coating' which is some very nice paint, for the same cost as the blasting.  I had an entire rolling chassis done there too, and was so happy that I took a trailer load of parts there too.  Tell him the toyota truck frame guy sent you :)
3RZ swapped 1985 Toyota 4Runner
scoutman View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Lame Duck Past Pres, Fab Guy & Club Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 4:23am
I just called the CR Wallace place and it stays that they're no longer in business.  
76 Scout II in pieces
96 Jeep XJ 33's
99 Jeep XJ Limited
06 Dodge 3500
W5LZQ
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 5:09am
Originally posted by stout22 stout22 wrote:

Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

This would be one time I wished I worked on the Arsenal. Got quotes of $125 -$150 to blast it. I guess I'll see what I can do with a side grinder and wire brush.Dead

Get you a Speed Blaster and a sack of Black Magic from TSC and you are good to go on that diff.  Don't use sand like the guy in the video unless you want to kill yourself.

1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
scoutman View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2015 at 7:12am
We're looking to have our 16' trailer frame blasted and painted and I keep running into dead ends.  

-CR Wallace the guy passed away so that's why they're no longer in business
-Kreative Koatings does not do wet coatings, only bedliner and powder.  
-TN Valley Fence (SW HSV) does blasting both on site and portable but to do the trailer is about equal to the cost of said trailer.  

Any more leads?  
76 Scout II in pieces
96 Jeep XJ 33's
99 Jeep XJ Limited
06 Dodge 3500
W5LZQ
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2015 at 9:33am
Used to be a guy in Deactor over by the railroad tracks near downtown.  He's probably dead by now too.  Sand blasters and flint knappers don't never see the nursing home.
scoutman View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2015 at 9:44am
Boy that's the truth.  I called Lawrimore trailers in Faulkville and asked them who they recommended and he told me a guy named Jeff 'Sandman' Johnson in Eva, AL.  After trying to get a hold of him a quick Google search turned him up dead a few weeks ago.  

Lesson here, don't do sandblasting for a living...

You may be referring to TJ's Sandblasting in Decatur.  I have a call in to them, should hear back shortly.  

Among the Sandblasting dead are also Bruce Fogg from south of Ardmore, and the 'Sandman' of the Tony area (never knew his real name).  
76 Scout II in pieces
96 Jeep XJ 33's
99 Jeep XJ Limited
06 Dodge 3500
W5LZQ
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2015 at 10:15am
I sent an email to a guy I know who had his horse trailler sand blasted in athens a few years back.  I will let you know what he says; may be a few days.  This guy lives on the river and spends most of his time fishing and sleeping and he doesn't read he email that often.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2015 at 2:17am
He said: 

James Paul @ 256-262-2655

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic