Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toyota Clutch Variants

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toyota Clutch Variants
    Posted: 01 June 2013 at 1:14am
Looking at the Marlin Crawler page for a clutch/pressure plate kits there are (at least) three variants for 22R/22RE with W56 transmissions.  Is it differences in the transmissions that require different clutch kits?  I thought all 22Rs with W56s were basically the same, but given my mix match of engines (85-93?)and transmissions (85-89?) I'm trying to figure out which clutch kit will work.Confused
1984 Toyota pickup, locked 5.29s, dual cases, Longfields, 22R with low range cam and header.
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2013 at 3:49am
There are some very minor differences in the OEM clutch kits, but they will all inerchange. The most notable difference is in the throwout bearing design. Just pick a year and use the whole kit.
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE................need I say more?   
bkubisht View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkubisht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2013 at 4:57am
If you're looking for something more stout than stock at better prices than marlin call southland clutch in San Diego.

I've been running one of their HD ones behind my hybrid for 12 years, and it's still very fun.
3RZ swapped 1985 Toyota 4Runner
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2013 at 8:08am
Originally posted by bluetoy bluetoy wrote:

There are some very minor differences in the OEM clutch kits, but they will all inerchange. The most notable difference is in the throwout bearing design. Just pick a year and use the whole kit.

I thought all the 22R/RE mated to W56 kits would all interchange, but with Marlin showing so many variants, I began to doubt.  The O'Reilly's clutch in my 4Runner slips, and I got to wondering if it could be from a combination problem.  I.e. the tranny is '86 W56 (B?), and the block is from a '92 or '93 (I don't see how that could matter).  The flywheel is the wild card, we usually just grab the best looking one, could be '83-'95...

After looking at the flywheels on the Marlin Crawler website, that appears to be the difference in at least two clutch kits.  The '79-'92 22R/REs used a 8 7/8" flywheel, and the '86-'87 22RET and all '93-'95 22R/REs used 9 5/16" flywheels. 
1984 Toyota pickup, locked 5.29s, dual cases, Longfields, 22R with low range cam and header.
bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2013 at 1:49am
I think it's just the wear surface on the flywheels that's bigger on the 9 5/16" flywheels. If you put the smaller clucth on the bigger flywheel , it would still work fine. I doubt that a miss matched clutch flywheel is why yours is slipping. I would just order a clutch kit for the '86 and not worry about it.
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE................need I say more?   
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2013 at 9:34am
I think you're right, newer flywheels just have a larger wear surface.  I doubt that provides any real performance improvement coupled with a near stock 22RE.  I suspect one of those heavier than stock flywheels would give you more seat-of-the-pants/felt performance improvement. 
I also agree a miss matched combo is probably not the cause of my clutch slipping.  I'm almost positive we trued up the flywheel, maybe I just got a bad disk or pressure plate.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic