Forum Home Forum Home > General > Politics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Craftsman Tools

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Craftsman Tools
    Posted: 01 February 2021 at 1:58pm
Most of my hand tools are either SK or Craftsman.  I bought a 1/2" ratchet set at Lowes the other day expecting it to be similar to Craftsman tools I had bought in the past.  Wrong.  It was pure chinese crap.  Even the engraving/markings on the sockets was pathetic.  I could have got better at HF.  There goes another American brand down the drain.
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2021 at 10:27pm
Unfortunately your right. This happened slowly while sears still owned the brand. It didn't get any better when sears sold it to lowes. 

On a different note, SK is back to being all USA made last time I looked. 
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2021 at 11:24pm
I looked at an SK 1/2 ratchet.   It was $85 plus shipping.  I have a nice 40 year old craftsman somewhere, but I can't find it.
stout22 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2021 at 7:16am
I thought Craftsman was moving back to the US but it looks like just some tools are made in the USA (screwdrivers, adjustable wrenches..) but not sockets or ratchets.
stout22

76 Bronco

302, EFI, C4 Auto, 4.3 Atlas, 3.5" lift, 1" body, locked d44 and Locked 9"
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2021 at 6:43pm
Brad, 

Did you buy the $85 sk ratchet? If that seems to expensive, check out snap on's website for USA made ratchets. I'm becoming more and more of a fan of Wright brand tools. Good solid industrial tools that are USA made and reasonable.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2021 at 11:56pm
No, I'm still looking for that old craftsman rachet I have misplaced..   I will take a look at snap-on and wright.
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2021 at 10:54am
Gearwrench seems to have some pretty good stuff at lower price point.  Be careful, though, there are several Gear[something] brands popping up to ghost the brand.  I have bought a couple of Gearwrench sets (ratchet wrenches, flare nut wrenches)  etc.  The ratchet wrenches seem to be pretty good stuff so far, I have had them for probably 5 years.  They are not up to Snapon or professional everyday use, but they are plenty good for a hobbyist.  So far....

I have also bought some Grey Pneumatic and Sunex, and they seem pretty good as well.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2021 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by 83K10 83K10 wrote:

Brad, 

Did you buy the $85 sk ratchet? If that seems to expensive, check out snap on's website for USA made ratchets. I'm becoming more and more of a fan of Wright brand tools. Good solid industrial tools that are USA made and reasonable.

Snapon was $175.

I found a Wright 1/2" ratchet at NT for $60.  So Wright is are US made?  Unless I only plan on using something one time, I'm done buying chinese junk.

Found a bunch of old craftsman 1/2" ratchets on ebay for $30, but I don't know if they are just old (good) or old and wore out (bad).

I'm going to keep looking for my old craftsman 1/2", but it may be gone.  I'm starting to think I might have left it on the bumper of my truck and drove off with it.  That would be totally appropriate since I originally found it at a hare scramble in Chattanooga about 30 years ago.

Edited by 98TJ - 04 February 2021 at 5:47pm
unlblkrubi View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlblkrubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2021 at 7:34am
Ive found some old Craftsmen tools at pawn shops.
'18 Renegade Trailhawk
'15 JKUR-Warn-AEV-Rigid-KC-ARB

83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2021 at 8:46am
I have the 3/8" version of the wright ratchet you posted. It operates very well and feels good in the hands. They also have very little back drag. I'd buy another one.
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2022 at 4:52pm
This is very interesting comparison of several different brands of ratchets:

As I kinda expected, Gearwrench does very well, surprisingly it did substantially better then the Snap-On which cost almost 4X the price.  The Snap-On performed about as well as any number of cheaper brands.

I have quite a few Gearwrench products, and have only had one go bad, and it was a ratcheting wrench.  To be fair, those are more for convenience than for breaking loose something really tight, so now I use a fixed wrench (box end when possible) to break loose something tight , then switch to the ratchet wrench to wrestle it off.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic