Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Case's Build Thread (06 LJ)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Lame Duck Past Pres, Fab Guy & Club Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2010 at 3:14am
Originally posted by mavereq mavereq wrote:

will you ever be able to get your diff out ?

I asked him the same question.  He said that he can get the diff off and do a gear swap if needed although it would probably be a pain. 
76 Scout II in pieces
96 Jeep XJ 33's
99 Jeep XJ Limited
06 Dodge 3500
W5LZQ
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2010 at 4:04am
Glad to see you back to work on this thing!!!
~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member
Have you seen my 9/16" socket?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2010 at 3:28pm
too tired to do a full update tonight so here is a teaser:

06 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited all torn apart.

CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 7:30am
So, it's been a day since you posted the "teaser".....where's the update!?! Evil Smile
~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 9:31am
cannot upload pics from work, plus these posts take a few whiles to complete...not sure my boss would appreciate paying for my build thread no matter how good it is Pinch

Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 3:22pm
So more than a year has passed since my trip to Arkansas ended the life of my rear axle.  It's been more than a year since I decided to do this build.  It is very nearly a year since I started this thread.  My original goal of "Mayish" (LOL) is long gone.  During all this time the build has been very fun.  I've kept to my rule of only working on it when its fun and walking away when I needed a break.  During this time the project has existed in its finished state only in my head.  In my garage has been a pile of parts that very few people can connect with my vision of the finished product.  This is starting to change.  So without further ado:

ALL RIGHT LETS DO THIS!  GET SOME! YEAAAAAAAAAH!

Got lots to show you.  Not gonna lie, a monster is being born in my garage! Clap

As per my last post, gave up on my expensive aftermarket high steer knuckles.  I felt pretty bad about this, but I've found no less than 3 builds on various forums that have had the same thing happen to them.  Guess I should read before buying huh?  Drilled out my stock steering arm for 3/4" bolts which is what my steering will be using:

Removed my old steering shaft.  Won't be needing this anymore:

So my floor is pretty disgusting huh?  That's because I have been busy making brackets.  Gussets for coilover hoops:

Tabs to mount the coilovers to the hoops:

Track bar mounts on the axle side:

But Case, those are all made out of cardboard.  Cardboard does not have the characteristics that make gussets actually useful!  Astute reader, you are, of course, correct.  So here are some metal ones:

The axle mount for the track bar is really cool.  Let's take a look at it.  Here it is drawn out:

When cut out made something like this:

Which was turned into this:

OK that was pretty cool.  Then I took a break.  Snagged me some tickets to the Iron Bowl.  After last year's almost win I had to go see this one especially because I knew my boy Cam Newton was gonna put on a show.  At first I was I was sad that I wasted money on this stupid game, and buy the end of it I was ready to name my first born Cameron.  The celebration in the stands after the game was epic and so was the woofing between rival fans on the way back to the car.  Here was my view of the action:

Then karma caught up with me, because shortly afterward I found myself elbow deep in my cummins replacing one of these:

Which for some reason costs a metric ass ton of money.  Oh well.  Enough side tracking.

Back to working on the Jeep.  I've been dying to see what the damn thing looks like with tires on it, so I re-remounted the heavy ass rear axle:

Then the track bar mount on the frame side needed to be made so that the front axle could be moved around:

This allowed the track bar to be measured, cut, and mounted:

Which allowed me to flex the front axle out and check for bindage.  Thankfully this time, everything flexed out fine and as an added bonus: ROOM FOR THE DRIVESHAFT!  Here is the front flexed out:

Which of course meant I needed to mount some tires to this bad boy and check for clearances! Here is the driver side full stuff, turned full lock (nothing hit):

Reverse view:

Yes, its wide:

View looking out the driver's door:

Think I'll be able to place my tire without a spotter?  Here's a fun one for you.  I can almost see my passenger front tire from the driver's seat.  With the passenger side flexed out, I can see exactly where my passenger side tire is.

With the tires on the Jeep I can finally see what it will look like when its sitting on its own, ready to be driven.  From my teaser post, this picture is what the Jeep will look like when its off the jack stands.  This is ride height and width that I'm planning on running:

It's finally starting to look like a Jeep again!  This is starting to get exciting! Big smile

83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 5:09pm
Looks good! Now you just have to finish it. If you need to make any more brackets that need a bend in them like the track bar bracket, I have a press brake you can use for one or two. I was messing around with it the other day to see what it would do and we bend a piece of 1/2in plate 3 in wide with it into a 90.
BamaBleach View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BamaBleach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 4:04am
Coming along!

Nice Iron Bowl pic.  I was there but my enjoyment was the inverse of yours Ouch

CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 7:06am
Bravo! Clap

Now get'er dun so we can see it in action!
~Sean

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

Tex62 View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tex62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2010 at 10:02am
I've been gone forever and you still havent gotten done yet lol. Case is slacking no? Maybe we should vote on it
Mike
mavereq View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mavereq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2010 at 2:45pm
my goal for my project is to get it done before case.  i don't know if i can get it done but i'm trying.
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2010 at 6:53am
When's the last time the motor was run?
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2010 at 3:42am
the last time it ran was when i pulled it off the trailer and into the garage to yank the rear end out.....so November Dead

cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2010 at 11:47am
With the lovely ethanol fuel we have these days, I'd drain the fuel and fill it back up with some fresh gas.  Ethanol is the devil.
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2010 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by cj8lvr cj8lvr wrote:

Ethanol is the devil.

That's why I run 100% gasoline in everything but my diesel truck.

Edited by 50Willys - 27 December 2010 at 2:17pm
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
Wintermute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wintermute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2010 at 3:33pm
Nice build, I like the thread...I would like to give you a bit of additional knowledge though.  I've noticed cans of brake cleaner in a number of your pictures (like the one below).  Just so you know, don't use brake cleaner to clean any part you intend to weld on or have anyone else weld on.  The chemicals used in brake cleaner can produce phosgene gas when subjected to high heat and atmospheric shielding.  Phosgene gas is extremely toxic (in fact it was used as a gas agent during WWI and is prohibited for use in warfare by the Geneva convention.  Additionally, by the time you notice it by smell, you are well above any acceptable toxicity level and have most likely permanently damaged yourself if not killed yourself and just not noticed it yet.

Just a heads up...I'd hate to miss the rest of the build because you died Dead

--Wintermute

Originally posted by Case Case wrote:

"No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience." - John Locke
"Vi Et Armis" - Cicero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wintermute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2010 at 3:35pm
Ohh, and here's a link to one of the articles warning people against it and providing some additional information:

Stay safe...and let's see more progress on this beast :D

--Wintermute
"Vi Et Armis" - Cicero
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2010 at 3:40pm
This was discussed on here a while back.

BRC Life Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wintermute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2010 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

This was discussed on here a while back.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I figured it had to be up on the board somewhere, but since I kept seeing the cans in the pictures around parts they were welding on, I figured I'd point it out specifically in this thread :D

--Wintermute
"Vi Et Armis" - Cicero
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2010 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by 50Willys 50Willys wrote:

You are living in fantasy land if you think that's true. We tested several of the local gas stations that were claiming to have pure gasoline in town that claimed to be selling pure gasoline. All had between 8 and 10 percent ethanol.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 1:57am
Ethanol in small amounts isnt bad...in fact, around here, where you have wide swings in temparture and humidity, the ethanol is good to remove water from the fuel - ethanol is very water-soluble, whereas gasoline is immiscible in water.  That's what "drygas" and STP gas treatment and such *used* to be, was mostly ethanol, dunno what they are now.  And vehicles since the early 90s have proper fuel lines which wont be affected by the ethanol.

The water-solubility of ethanol is a double-edged sword, though, because it means that more water can be dissolved in the gfuel that you buy with a percentage of ethanol....it will probably have a significant percentage of water as well.

BRC Life Member
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 2:31am
Originally posted by 83K10 83K10 wrote:

Originally posted by 50Willys 50Willys wrote:

You are living in fantasy land if you think that's true. We tested several of the local gas stations that were claiming to have pure gasoline in town that claimed to be selling pure gasoline. All had between 8 and 10 percent ethanol.

Then why didn't you sue them for false advertising?
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 2:58am
I'm not sue happy. I'm not an accredited testing lab. I was using BMW's testing equipment. Above 10% causes some cold start running issues. I'm no friend of ethanol. I had many customer complaints about poor running. Warranty would not cover the fuel test of course due to it not being BMW's fault and the dealership would not charge the customer thus I would not get paid for performing it but it was required. That's a whole other discussion entirely.

Anyway, back to the build. Any more progress?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 6:29am
What were some of the stations you tested?
1toncrwlr View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1toncrwlr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 3:44am
this thing out and about yet?
EOR Racing
thanks to
Essentially Offroad
eXtreme Roc Rigs
Artec Industries
Screen Printing Lodge
Off-Road Solutions
scoutman View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Lame Duck Past Pres, Fab Guy & Club Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 3:49am
Originally posted by 1toncrwlr 1toncrwlr wrote:

this thing out and about yet?

Nope.
76 Scout II in pieces
96 Jeep XJ 33's
99 Jeep XJ Limited
06 Dodge 3500
W5LZQ
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2011 at 5:56pm
The last month or so has been pretty eventful.  Sorry for the lack of updates.  Here we go again.

The next step in this project is to mount the rear coilovers.  In order to do that I needed a few more pieces of metal.  So off to Service Steel I go:

So when I posted in this thread earlier that I got this truck for a good price because it needed work?  Welp, there is a reason why it was cheap.  So back to the Dalton house it goes, this time because the steering let go in the loading dock of the fine folks at Service Steel.  Tie rod ends people, grease them and/or replace them if the grease point is sheared off in the accident that made your truck so cheap:

Alrighty then, back to the Jeep.

It's time to mount some coilovers in the rear.......HOLY SHEEEIT....

These freakin things....will........NOT.....fit.  Either the tire rubs on the spring at full stuff, or the spring rubs on the frame at rear droop.  The coilovers have been mounted and torn off a number of times now and nothing seems to work.  Cry

Lets took a look at the process anyways:

In order to mount the hoops that the coilovers will mount to, some of my (yet to be payed for Tongue) body and frame needed to be "adjusted":

I used a piece of the following material to notch the frame in order to clear the coilover:

With the truck breaking down, I reckon the following bracket cost me $150/piece:

Next step, make the coilover hoops, gussets frame brackets, and shock mounting tabs:

So first attempt to mount coilovers resulted in a failure that no decent human being would admit to, but because I vowed complete honestly in this thread:

Inability to get the bolt in and out would represent an engineering conundrum.  Lets try again:

SUCCESS!  Well, not exactly, since everything rubbed everywhere all the time.   900 iterations of moving top and bottom mounting points resulted in some interesting mounting solutions in order to try and get something to fit:

I'm sure that will hold Embarrassed

After 100 configurations it was determined that more body needed to be removed:

And then after 100 more configurations it was determined that the first frame brackets I made were not supplying sufficient clearance.  So the frame brackets needed to be cut out but fortunately they were only lightly tacked in:

They were absolutely no problem to remove LOL

The frame brackets and the hoop mounts were insufficient so remind me if you have seen a pic like this before:

No job is worth doing unless its worth doing 129083129087598712398 times right?  Dead

I WOULD be pretty bummed about these latest setbacks, buuuuuuuuuuuut the fun part of the project advertised itself on craigslist:

UUUUUUHHHHHHHH OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH  NukeEvil SmileThumbs UpClapHeart

CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 4:41am
Case, quit goofing around already! Get 'er dun!!! LOL

So, is that hunk of metal resembling an engine going in your Jeep? Or is it holding down the flat-bed of your "cheap" truck?
~Sean

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 8:28am
Originally posted by CJ7OX CJ7OX wrote:

Case, quit goofing around already! Get 'er dun!!! LOL

So, is that hunk of metal resembling an engine going in your Jeep? Or is it holding down the flat-bed of your "cheap" truck?

well, sorta.  that hunk of metal doesn't have enough juice...gotta do it right ya know Wink

CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 10:12am
LOL
~Sean

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic