Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Classified Ads > Wanted!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

86 4Runner Sun Roof Glass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 86 4Runner Sun Roof Glass
    Posted: 26 July 2021 at 11:28am
I lost the sunroof in my 86 4Runner when I trailered it to MS a couple of weeks ago. Literally just blew out, I had no windows open or anything, apparently the air passing over the top just sucked it right off the truck. Anybody know where I could find one, or a suitable replacement that will fill up the hole in the roof? Did I mention that I HATE sunroofs? Thanks
1984 Toyota pickup, locked 5.29s, dual cases, Longfields, 22R with low range cam and header.
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2021 at 11:41am
1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
bpr View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2021 at 12:23pm
another option is fab a piece and weld it in

2018 JL Rubicon Stock
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2021 at 5:49pm
Good luck. I've been casually looking for one for several years. 
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2021 at 10:38am
Originally posted by 83K10 83K10 wrote:

Good luck. I've been casually looking for one for several years. 

I thought so, was hoping you had found a solution. I saw the $600 one on eBay, really don't want to spend that kind of money on a piece of glass. I like the 'weld it up' idea, but my bud who could do that and make it look factory is no longer with us. Might try a piece of Lexan...
1984 Toyota pickup, locked 5.29s, dual cases, Longfields, 22R with low range cam and header.
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2021 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Toydawg Toydawg wrote:

Did I mention that I HATE sunroofs? Thanks

You need to sell me the 4Runner.  This will solve your problem.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2021 at 3:33pm
Maybe I should just start machining them out of lexan. I need to look close at mine. I can't remember if they are curved or not. I bet there's quite a bit of demand for them. 
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2021 at 4:53pm
98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2021 at 4:57pm
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2021 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by alabamatoy alabamatoy wrote:

Did I mention that I HATE sunroofs? Thanks

You need to sell me the 4Runner.  This will solve your problem.

It's in MS now. Had I known it was going to shed its Sun Roof at Cullman you might have had an opportunity for purchase...

Edited by Toydawg - 28 July 2021 at 6:48am
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2021 at 9:45pm
I have a blodgett commercial oven that should be large enough to heat them. Hrm....
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2021 at 6:50am
Originally posted by 83K10 83K10 wrote:

I have a blodgett commercial oven that should be large enough to heat them. Hrm....

I volunteer to provide a test bed for your prototype efforts.Big smile
bpr View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2021 at 10:26am
if you don't care if it ever opens or it looks factory: cut lexan to fit, use brackets or stops on underside and then fiberglass the top.  Shouldn't leak and you could finish and paint top side edges to make it look ok.  You would still have light through lexan 
2018 JL Rubicon Stock
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2021 at 7:55am
Originally posted by bpr bpr wrote:

if you don't care if it ever opens or it looks factory: cut lexan to fit, use brackets or stops on underside and then fiberglass the top.  Shouldn't leak and you could finish and paint top side edges to make it look ok.  You would still have light through lexan 

I like this idea, but I don't look forward to the fiberglass piece. I have very limited experience with fiberglass, and the people I know who have used it said it is a pain to work with.
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2021 at 8:24am

It's in MS now. Had I known it was going to shed its Sun Roof at Cullman you might have had an opportunity for purchase...

I have already made one trip w/ the trailer to Vicksburg this year, another one to get a 4Runner is not intimidating.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic