Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toyota Torsion Bar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J CROSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toyota Torsion Bar
    Posted: 26 May 2016 at 11:02am
Does anyone know or could measure a late 80's to mid 90's IFS truck or 4runner torsion bar length? I am looking at replacing the stock Land Cruiser anti sway bar because it will be getting bent on a regular basis.

I looked at Antirock sway bar kits and they are pricey and Currie could not offer much at all on how it would perform so I loose interest. I thought if I could get lucky I might build my own torsion anti sway bar.
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them"   Einstein
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 12:55am
I have a pair with your name on them.Thumbs Up
1984 Toyota pickup, locked 5.29s, dual cases, Longfields, 22R with low range cam and header.
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 2:26am
You will need the front and rear mounts for the bar also, wont you?  They are splined, IIRC, so it would be difficult to make something without having those mounts to start with.  A really cool design would be to use two bars, each cut to half the necessary length, with a flange welded onto each one at the middle (or perhaps off-center depending on clearances).  Then bolt the two flanges together when you are on the street, and when you get to the trail, unbolt the flanges and rock on with full flex.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
dontoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
Hail HURTS...aske me how I know!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 5:26am
Cool thought Doc!

Don
1985 ToyBuggy w/TBI GM4.3/TH350, Marlin doubler, 4.88's, locked front & rear, 37" TSL SXII, and other stuff.
Toydawg View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toydawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 2:02pm
Not to be Debbie Downer, but welding on torsion bars does not sound like a good idea to me.  Best case you will affect the spring rate of the torsion bar (a torsion bar is just a spring); worst case they break where the welds affect the temper of the bar.
1984 Toyota pickup, locked 5.29s, dual cases, Longfields, 22R with low range cam and header.
J CROSS View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J CROSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Toydawg Toydawg wrote:

Not to be Debbie Downer, but welding on torsion bars does not sound like a good idea to me.  Best case you will affect the spring rate of the torsion bar (a torsion bar is just a spring); worst case they break where the welds affect the temper of the bar.

I have to agree, you can't weld on a spring and get good results. 45 inches is the magic number for length. I suspect I will have to go after market.

On a side note, I am almost done with my sliders.
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them"   Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic