Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stuck brake drum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuck brake drum
    Posted: 15 November 2008 at 6:09am
I'm trying to get the passenger side brake drum off of the rear axle on my Cherokee and it seems to be stuck on.  I had no problem getting the driver side brake drum off, it just pulled right off.  HELP!! Any ideas!!
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2008 at 7:03am
If its just stuck you can konwck it off with a hammer or rubber mallet. Mine on my Jeep were set wrong when i got it and they had worn into the drum and made grooves to the point that i had to cut them off because they wouldnt pull off.

Kyle
J CROSS View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J CROSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2008 at 7:36am
If it is stuck on the shoes you may have to force the adjuster backwards to allow the shoes to collapse and get small enough to clear the drum. If it is rusted to the axle you may have to beat on it. There should be a threaded hole to allow a jack bolt to be used.
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them"   Einstein
scoutman View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Lame Duck Past Pres, Fab Guy & Club Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2008 at 2:03pm

I would back off the adjusters quite a bit and beat on it till it comes off.  Maybe a bit heat on the drum face might brake it loose. 

BTW, Jeep engineers aren't advanced enough to have thought of a threaded hole on their brake drums like toyota's are.  Ermm
76 Scout II in pieces
96 Jeep XJ 33's
99 Jeep XJ Limited
06 Dodge 3500
W5LZQ
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2008 at 2:21pm

I got it off by spraying WD40 around the center and in the 3 little holes in the drum and then hitting it with a hammer.  BTW the reason I was taking the brake drum off was to free up the brake adjusters because they wouldn't turn when I tried to adjust the brake.  Thanks for the help!!

Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic