Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

shackle leangths

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shackle leangths
    Posted: 11 July 2004 at 10:33am

My CJ7 sits lower in the front than in the back. Has anyone ever heard of getting a longer shackle in the front and a shorter shackle in the back to level it out. 

I guess this height difference could be in my springs (pro comp 4in). I recently added a 8274 but that didnt seem to lower it anymore. At the end of summer I am planning on switching to RE 4.5 springs, so if I do go 2 different lengths will this be strange once I get new springs or is this how all CJs sit?  the height difference isnt that big of a deal but I was planning on getting some new shackles this week and just thought of this.  Any help would be appreciated.

John

jdubz View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdubz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2004 at 1:32am

Where you at in Decatur? I'm in SW.

I see no problem with using different shackle lengths. I would think the front springs are sagging and need replaced. Longer shackles would be like a temp fix there.

Just watch the overall length of your shackles. Get them too long and it will handle like crap.

"If You Can't Brake...Smile As You Go Under"
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2004 at 3:39am

Springs can be adjusted *somewhat* by removing a leaf or two.  Never remove the wrap leaf (the one next to the axle) and obviously not the top leaf.

Keep in mind that soft springs are what you want for flex, so just cause you sit low and have little compression travel doesnt mean anything unless you are a desert racer or the Dukes of Hazard.  My 4runner has about 3-4 inches of compression in the front at rest, yet it will flex close to 1000 on a ramp.

If you arent rubbing tires a lot then I would urge you to look at lowering the rear to match instead of raising the front.  Despite what most mall-cruizer 4X4 types might think, height is NOT desirable for a good trail vehicle.  All it does it make you tip over easier and your girlfriend will complain more about climbing into it!!

"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
lamont View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2004 at 4:23am

my folks (and my jeep) live in SE decatur.  I go to school in texas so I spend my time between here and there.

I think I am just gonna stick with what I got til I get my new springs.  Then go from there.  I have seen those YJ kits with only a single leaf as the pack.  If you go with fewer leaves do you have to watch what kind of weight you put on the vehicle as far as tire carrier,winch,cargo, etc..  or does this not affect it much?

thanks for the help

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic