Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KOTH Discussion...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~Mo~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KOTH Discussion...
    Posted: 28 August 2007 at 4:05pm

Ok, so every year after the event I hear both positive and negative comments (not angry ones). I ask competitors, spectators, and vendors what they liked and didnt like and sofar, the positives win hands down.

Now, being that i enjoy this event, I applaude RCRC and RCO and everyone involved.

Ive asked on a few forums what things they'd like to see improvements on. Nows everyones chance to give your .02

I'd like this to stay on topic please

Thanks.

Heres a good start:

Originally posted by John Galbreath John Galbreath wrote:

I see on a couple of boards where y'all are looking for suggestions.  I am not a member here.  My intentions are constructive only.  Please do not take otherwise.

I was the number 2 single seater.  Purple FireLogs.com.

Constructive critism.

1) If they were going to pull me (and others) out of line because we had already run once.  They certainly could have told us hours earlier.  I could have moved it into the woods and walked up the hill and watched.  I stayed real close as they said at drivers meeting and kept it moved up in line.

2)  All drivers should attend the drivers meeting or be penalized.  I was first up the hill as number 1 did not show up.  When I got back to the bottom, I got in line at the end.  I got back in line at number 17 or 18.  That means 17 or 18 to 47 was late, but yet, they were not penalized.  The ones that had already run had to let them go by us.  This would allow a 2 hour or so down time to work on the rig at camp. Come back and get in line WITHOUT penalty.  In my opinion, tht is wrong.

3) I think the line to the start should be two lanes.  That way no one had to move to let a broke rig down backwards from the starting line.  Also if  driver is not at their rig,  you can go around if you can get entirely back in the lane ahead of him.  That is a PENALTY for not staying at your rig.  You should be able to run as many times as you get to the front of the line, regardless of how many times those late or broke got to go.

4)  There needs to be two courses running at the same time.  I understand from talking to some that insurance may be the reason.  I also understnd the two separate courses, XRRA style, is how they got around that rule.  That would require two start/finish timing setups, but this is growing and the growth must be allowed for.  You can run 2 classes one way and one the other as signup dictates the field should be and difficulty level for the small tires.

5)  Banners.  Go XRRA style.  Use pennants, not tape.  If you brake a pennant, you are DQed.  Rubbing is fine.  I also thought some spectator bannors were too close to the course for a proper margin of safety.

6) Portalettes, more.  Should have been at least 6 there.

7)  T-shirts should have been closer.  There was no reason for the competitors to go out the spectator entrance to find them.  I happened to see someone carrying a shirt and asked where they purchased it.

Now for the kudos!

1)  Course marshall was great.  I did not get his name.  I had two issues I went to him on.  He answered them quick and precise.  I did not like what he said  Grin, but he showed professionalism, and fairness.  He even came to the parking lot afterwards and thanked me and the others around for coming.

2)  second drivers meeting letting us decide on the 5PM cut off.

3) Number of staff, good job.

4)  Food, good and fast service.

5)  Amount of air time you gave the sponsors, like the Off Road Connection ledge.  It is nice to see the sponsors getting return for their money.

~Mo

mrs. jpwrangler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
RCRC Membership Director

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrs. jpwrangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2007 at 4:27am

Thanks Mo!  I've been meaning to do this myself, I'm just still trying to recover from the event.

As the Event Chairman this year, I tried to make sure we addressed every comment and concern from last year, and we "fixed" a lot of stuff.  We couldn't fix everything, i.e. we couldn't get Porta-potties at the top of the course, but we tried to do what we could.  So once again, we'd like to hear comments and concerns from competitors and spectators alike.  We'll start discussing these at our next meeting, then start planning for next year.

Thanks for your support!  We're glad we had such a good turnout this year and it seemed like everyone had a great time.  Hope to see everyone back next year...

Lee Anna Wright, RCRC Secretary/Membership Director
~Mo~ View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~Mo~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2007 at 4:30pm
Two days and no other comments?

CIRCUIT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CIRCUIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2007 at 11:22pm

like the idea of 2 course running same time. or made into 2 day event or even have a top 5 run off the next day. also need to work on the out of bounds rule on the tape. maybe doing the tech day before on ones that can be there on friday afternoon.this would help in getting every thing started on time.

Just some ideas I will be there next year even if nothing is changed. Yall guys do a great job any way

Paul

~Mo~ View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~Mo~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2007 at 12:34am

The out of bounds rule does need some attention...  sorta like XRRA... I think that at the speed the rigs are going, rubbing of the ribbon/tape can get confusing at times. In XRRA youre DQ'd if you break the ribbon. Spectators boundary also needs to move back just a tad to avoid close calls..

I think all competitors should have a printed and signed copy of the rules in their rigs at all times just for personal clarification.

Running tandum would be awesome, like previously run. Small class on say "Stair Steps" and big class on main course and switch. I know its more labor intensive and spectators cant see ALL the action, but they'll be able to pick and choose where they spectate. Limiting time to 5 minute runs would help keep the things moving along.

Come on people.. if we start planning now for next year, we can make things happen. 

Pops-n-a-Yota View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pops-n-a-Yota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2007 at 11:53am

Mo,the idea about the ribbon being banners like in XRRA would work better.It takes a little more to break them.I've been to alot of events in the past three years and youn's have a very good run.Even though you think your ready something will throw a glitch in your coggs.Allways plan for the worst and maybe you'll make two out of five happy.If you had two courses it would keep everyone on there toes,officals and peeps.Tackle the potty issue to.What ever youn's do we'll be there next year for your COMPETITION.If you decide to have a show and shine you might have a record showing,LOL. POPS

Edited by Pops-n-a-Yota
XRRA 315 BFG   Spidertrax
ECGS PSC The Offroad Connection

98TJ View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2007 at 12:35pm

This kind of course ribbon?

1998 TJ 4.0 5spd Atlas 36" Swampers RE4.5 ARB's 44/44
~Mo~ View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~Mo~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2007 at 1:56pm
Pops, i know ya'll will always be here..

98TJ, yeah thats them... While at RCO, i contacted several venders and got some before... guess its time to make some calls again
Pops-n-a-Yota View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pops-n-a-Yota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2007 at 3:27pm

We'll be in Texas in two weeks for the Grand Nationals,I'll see what I can muster up from Maxxis,BFG,We-Rock and anyone else that can provide some.I hear there's a company called Caution that gives a lot of them out,lol.Just a little insite for next year,we'll be starting a new car just for Rock Racing in a few weeks.Adams pushing that stroked up and down 190 HP Toyota to the limit aginst all them thar big V-8's this year.Anything we can do just holler.Pops

XRRA 315 BFG   Spidertrax
ECGS PSC The Offroad Connection

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic