Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeep for sale?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep for sale?
    Posted: 27 April 2017 at 4:12pm
From Jalopnik:

Jeep is kind of like a cursed car company. It has long been a money maker, but it has only ever been a part of real shit-for-brains car conglomerates. Throughout its history, Jeep has bounced around from one sorry company to another, usually propping the whole operation up before getting sold in desperation. Willys to Kaiser, Kaiser to AMC, AMC to tumultuous Chrysler. One analyst at Morgan Stanley asked current Fiat-Chrysler boss Sergio Marchionne yesterday if Jeep could get spun off again. His answer, as the Detroit Free Press reports, was terse:

Marchionne was asked whether the automaker’s Jeep and Ram brands, either together or separately, could be spun off into a separate, standalone company.

“Yes,” Marchionne said.

The Wall Street Journal clarified a bit:

Mr. Marchionne stirred speculation his company might contemplate spinning off the Jeep and Ram brands to help meet its financial goals, much like an initial public offering for Ferrari NV in 2015. When asked if the two Chrysler family nameplates could survive separately or combined as an independent business, the CEO replied “yes,” without elaborating.

This is sad, man. It’s like Sergio is doing a fire sale here. Nobody would buy FCA as a whole, so now he’s publicly opening up to the idea of selling things off piecemeal. How about Jeep? You guys like Jeep? SOMEBODY PLEASE BUY SOMETHING.

It’s possible that this would mean Jeep could become its own company held in the FCA empire, like what happened with Ferrari a few years back. But it’s also possible that if Jeep and Ram become their own thing, Chrysler and Dodge will be stuck out alone together, and Chrysler and Dodge together is about the most undesirable, least hopeful car company imaginable. If Jeep and Ram split into their own thing, I don’t think it’s a stretch to imagine Chrysler and Dodge getting killed.

Still, it’s sorry to hear that Jeep has retained its profitable mercenary-like status, always a jewel in a rusty crown.

I dunno that I agree with the dissing of Chrysler and Dodge.  The Demon has stirred a lot of interest (now from wackos who want it outlawed) and the Hellcat, and nearly every police car is now a Dodge something-or-other.

"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 7:43am
I would love to see Jeep separated from Chrysler, maybe even it's own company.  
The worst electrical gremlins I've seen in Jeeps are thanks in large part to Chrysler.
It's a name that's never been it's own really.  Go look at the one in the Huntsville Veterans Museum, you know, the oldest still-in-existence "Jeep" in the world.....it's a FORD!  Could the Jeep name survive all alone?  Gonna take leadership.
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic