Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How Difficult....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YJWonderboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Difficult....
    Posted: 20 November 2006 at 7:35am

How difficult would it be to make a custom bumper for a Jeep Wrangler YJ? And could it be done with a MIG welder?

Would it be cheaper than buying one? cause I've been looking and I haven't found one that I like, cause I want the grill and hood guard, like the ARB Bull bumper's got, but I don't want anything near that large and bulky.

Edited by YJWonderboy
Just an '02 Cavalier right now...z24 auto...my 4x4 died...
Al View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 7:45am

If you already have the welder and you don't count your time, it will be much cheaper, cost of steel and materials is it.  How hard depends on what you want it to look like and what it takes to get it there.  Simple channel or rectangular tubing is simple and cheap (relatively); plate and complex shapes get more expensive in both time and cost of materials.

If you have to buy the welder, it will probably be more expensive, but you'll have a welder to ammortize over many projects.  A mig welder will work, even a 110 VAC version (this is what Jeremy uses), I did both of mine with my 240VAC L-E mig.  If you have to pay someone to build one for you, get your checkbook ready, it will be expensive, also.

The benefits of doing it yourself is learning how to design and fab, it's built like you want it with the features you want and you don't have to spend a lot of money on it (essentially the cost of steel and welding materials).

Find one you like, get the appropriate materials and go to town.  It's what I did for the two I've done.  They haven't fallen apart yet and it got easier the second time around.

Good luck.

Al

Edited by Al
YJWonderboy View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YJWonderboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 10:11am

Well, I've GOT the welder. It's been sitting in my garage for ages, having only been used for light projects, like welding the steering in a buddy's go-cart back together after his mom hit it with her Van, anyway, I'm looking at the rock craler bumper desing, you know with the angled type corners, but it's square tubing? But it also has a brush guard to it. THe ones I've seen for sale are cool and all, but they are really big, and bulky, and I don't like the designs.

Maybe something like this http://www.jeepbumpers.com/images/products/warrior/war57051. jpg, cause I like the D-rings, but seriously, ANY bumper with d-rings, and that styling is gonna cost you over $200-300

Edited by YJWonderboy
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2006 at 3:38pm
The main part of that bumper looks like it's made from plate and not tubing.  Most tube bumpers don't have all of those angles.  Take alook at some of the bumpers our members have made on the website trail pics page.
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YJWonderboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 6:20am

Who said I wanted a tube bumper. I was just wondering if welding a bumper like that would be possible?

Tube bumpers are cool, lovely, and oldschool, but I want something with a meaner look.

Edited by YJWonderboy
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 8:10am
All I was saying is the type of bumper you're looking at are formed out of one piece of plate using a multi-ton forming press. That's hard to duplicate in your garage with a MIG welder.  If that is the type of bumper you want then I would suggest you go buy one or plan on spending many many hours cutting and welding steel plate into the shape you want.
Bob S.

bluetoy View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluetoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 8:47am

Originally posted by YJWonderboy YJWonderboy wrote:

cause I want the grill and hood guard,

Build one like this. I hear this is the newest trend for hardcore rockcrawlers. If you can't afford to have it chrome plated, you can just use some "chrome" spray paint. It's the coolest. 

Edited by bluetoy
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE................need I say more?   
cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 9:26am

All you need is an old bed frame...

You see that on Pirate too?

Coming to a cross-dressing 4wd shop near you!

___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Owner of CartoTracks.com Trail Maps
Past RCRC - VP
Past Nat'l CJ-8 Scrambler Owners Association President
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member
Have you seen my 9/16" socket?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 9:54am
please tell me that picture is from the 80s 
06 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited all torn apart.

cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 9:58am

Unfortunately Case, no!

It is for sale on E-bay right now.

Link

___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Past RCRC - VP
85cruiser View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 12:10pm
all I can say is WOW, I cant figure out what makes me want to puke first
Patrick

2011 Ford F350, XLT, 4X4, Diesel, Crew cab, long bed

74' FJ-40, The "Bruise"

85' FJ-60, slightly modified

87' FJ60, slightly modified
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 12:29pm
I've never seen a pimped out Jeep before. That's too stupid to be funny.
Bob S.

cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 12:34pm

I think what is most disturbing about this Jeep to me is that there has only been one bid on it and that bid....

For $10,000!!!!!

Florida is all I can say....second only to Kalifornia.

___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Past RCRC - VP
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2006 at 1:32am
more disturbing is the reserve is not met.

50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2006 at 5:29am
Watch out knocking Kalifornia, I'm sensitive   besides even the folks in the land of fruits and nuts aren't stupid enough to build something like that
Bob S.

cj8lvr View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj8lvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2006 at 5:47am
Come on Bob... the peoples republic of Kalifornia is just like a bowl of granola... what ain't fruits and nuts is flakes!
___/| [_\__\],
l___l__L-O|||||O_
_()_)__()_)___()_)

Jake White
Past RCRC - VP
Al View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2006 at 11:17am

Who said I wanted a tube bumper. I was just wondering if welding a bumper like that would be possible?

Tube bumpers are cool, lovely, and oldschool, but I want something with a meaner look.

Anything's possible. 

It sounds like you already have in mind what you want.  That's good.  It also sounds like you don't want to spend a lot of money.  No problem, go to SS, buy 1/4" plate steel, design and make it.  You've already shown it's possible by your previous post; the question, is it possible for you?  I don't know the answer to that question since I don't know what tools you own and what you're skills are with those tools.  If you have the Mig, you'll need some way to cut 1/4" steel, calculate angles and then grind/weld/sand/paint to suit. 

My BIL designs and builds bumpers like this, but he uses 3-D CAD software, and has his steel cut by professionals with a laser.  My guess is that you're on the other end of the scale, but that's only a guess.

One caveat if you decide to build yourself:  be very careful how you design, install and weld any recovery points on your bumper.  Lack of quality here can and will kill people.  Do not second guess or cheap out on this specific issue: do it right or stay at home.

Bottom line:  It's either an Internet/Visa problem or a tool/skill problem, that's it.

Good luck.

Al

Edited by Al
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YJWonderboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2006 at 12:17pm

Well....it looks like I'm buying a bumper. Cause it sounds to be beyond my skills. Heh, $250 is like what? Three weeks pay on minimum wage?

Edited by YJWonderboy
Case View Drop Down
RCRC LLC Member
RCRC LLC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2006 at 2:42pm

stick of "2x4" steel.
measure to fit truck.
cut to fit truck.
cut hole(s) to mount Clevis Bar(s)
Weld clevis Bars into steel on front and back of bumper
make/buy brackets to mount bumper to frame
weld bumper to brackets
sand and (spray) paint
bolt bumper to frame.

Steel + clevis bar + brackets (if bought) + paint = about 100 bucks.

it aint fancy, but it will stop rocks and small cars real easy.  You can even add whatever bells and whistles you want to it later like stingers and/or winch protection.  See picture below for what mine looks like:

Edited by Case

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2006 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by bluetoy bluetoy wrote:

cause I want the grill and hood guard,

Build one like this. I hear this is the newest trend for hardcore rockcrawlers. If you can't afford to have it chrome plated, you can just use some "chrome" spray paint. It's the coolest. 

This makes my eyes hurt.

Thanks!

Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YJWonderboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2006 at 12:26pm
is that a bumper or a bike rail? Sheesh, park it outside the library, and have kids chain thier bicyles to it >.<...and he should be shot for welding sport bars on a CJ
scoutman View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Lame Duck Past Pres, Fab Guy & Club Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2006 at 6:07am
Originally posted by Case Case wrote:

stick of "2x4" steel.
measure to fit truck.
cut to fit truck.
cut hole(s) to mount Clevis Bar(s)
Weld clevis Bars into steel on front and back of bumper
make/buy brackets to mount bumper to frame
weld bumper to brackets
sand and (spray) paint
bolt bumper to frame.

Steel + clevis bar + brackets (if bought) + paint = about 100 bucks.

it aint fancy, but it will stop rocks and small cars real easy.  You can even add whatever bells and whistles you want to it later like stingers and/or winch protection.  See picture below for what mine looks like:

20' stick of steel = @$100 It has been a while since I last priced it.  The picture shows 2"x4" box tube 3/16" thick.  If you buy a whole stick you can possibly build both bumpers and a set of rock sliders if you play your cards right.  This is assumeing that you have the means to move something 20' long or you pay to have the shop cut it for you.

Clevis bar = $15 each plus shipping

Bumper brackets = $35 per end plus shipping

Paint, misc hardware, welding wire, mig gas for welder, cutoff wheels, etc = $20

It all comes down to how much equipment and time you have.  What is more valuable to you, taking something out of a box and bolting it on in 1 hour, or fabing something from scratch taking a few evenings...   You decide.  

76 Scout II in pieces
96 Jeep XJ 33's
99 Jeep XJ Limited
06 Dodge 3500
W5LZQ
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic