Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YJ Alternator Upgrade from OEM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YJJEEPBJW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: YJ Alternator Upgrade from OEM
    Posted: 17 May 2011 at 2:49pm
Hey everyone I am looking to upgrade my alternator after adding a new winch, just wondering if anyone has any info on what alt would be a direct fit to a 1990 YJ with 4.2 weber carburated... .I have read other forums that have stated a CS144 would work. This was some info I found.....

Delco CS144 Series
140 Amp, 12 Volt, CW, 6-Groove Pulley
Used On:
(1996-94) Buick Roadmaster 5.7L
(1996-93) Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (RWD) 5.7L
(1996-93) Chevrolet Caprice 4.3L, 5.7L
(1996-95) Chevrolet Impala 5.7L
(1995-92) Chevrolet Lumina APV Van 3.8L
(1995-92) Oldsmobile Silhouette 3.8L
(1995-92) Pontiac Trans Sport 3.8L
Replaces:
Delco 10479891, 10480201
Lester Nos:

Any info on this would be great and also new here to HSV so curious as to what junk yards will let ya walk around inside the lot and find stuff.... in need of 90 yj OEM parts:
Rear license plate bracket that covers the gas tank lid
various plastic parts to tail gate

Billy

"FIRE-IN-THE-HOLE"
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 12:35am
Summitracing says a GM 12SI will fit.  They have a Powermaster 12SI 140 amp for $159 new.  I have a powermaster 10SI 140 amp shoehorned into my toyota and it works well.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
YJJEEPBJW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YJJEEPBJW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 1:46am
Thanks for the info, unfortunately I am here in the Barracks for an Army leadership Course so ordering through summit isnt an option at this time. I am going to go and check the local parts stores today... just wasnt sure what to ask them for.... since I have read things about Durango alts and even dodge truck alts.... maybe I will get lucky and they just make something higher than the stock one for the 1990 YJ.....
"FIRE-IN-THE-HOLE"
barrettsyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrettsyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:00am
i am planing on doing the same but mine is a  2.5. but i ran a winch, electric fans and also a onboard air as well.
http://www.crossedup4x4.com/
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:02am
There is a Summit store on Jordan Lane. You could go down there, and if they don't have what you need in stock, they could order it for you.
~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

YJJEEPBJW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YJJEEPBJW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:31am
Thanks!! I will def be checking that out
"FIRE-IN-THE-HOLE"
alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:36am
Originally posted by CJ7OX CJ7OX wrote:

There is a Summit store on Jordan Lane. You could go down there, and if they don't have what you need in stock, they could order it for you.

Huh!?!?!  A summit store in town?  I thought there were only three in the whole USA!  No way!
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 10:16am
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 1:51pm
My bad, guys! I was thinking of SECO, and it turns out they're no longer open for business. Sorry about the bad gouge.
~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic