Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I need a plumber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need a plumber
    Posted: 13 September 2010 at 3:59am
A lot of my outside faucets, including the ones for the washing machine are leaking and you can't get parts for an outside faucet.  It seems there are so many off the wall makers of outside faucets, including the Chinese, that no one will carry repair parts for them.  Not even Park Supply.  So here's my situation all of the outside faucets are sweated onto the copper pipes, no threads, so I need a plumber to replace the faucets with threaded fittings.

HELP!!
Bob S.

'96 Cherokee, 4.0L w/Auto Trans & locked D44s

'99 Dodge 2500 CTD Tow Rig
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2010 at 4:06am
Davidson Plumbing - Ed Davidson

1815 Sherman Street Southeast
Decatur, AL 35601-3439
(256) 353-4091

He's a long-time family friend and a 2nd generation plumber.  He should be able to fix you up quick if he has a time-slot available.

Edited by Drake - 13 September 2010 at 4:07am
NOT4HWY View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOT4HWY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2010 at 5:45am
Just cut the copper and use the new "SharkBite" connector and slide the new one in. No soldering/no threads. These can be disconnected in the future if needed.  About $6 each. SharkBite is Home Depot's brand-Lowes carry them under a different name. I changed out a bunch of fixtures for inlaws and these are the bomb. Steve
Club member since 1992, Club President 1995-1999 Trail rig:S-Blazer,Rockwells,507 Caddy,T-400,203/205, Tow-rig: '23 F350 4x4
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2010 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by NOT4HWY NOT4HWY wrote:

Just cut the copper and use the new "SharkBite" connector and slide the new one in. No soldering/no threads. These can be disconnected in the future if needed.  About $6 each. SharkBite is Home Depot's brand-Lowes carry them under a different name. I changed out a bunch of fixtures for inlaws and these are the bomb. Steve

Steve, I checked them out online and the look pretty good, but unfortunately I don't think it will work for me.  If I cut the faucets off I wouldn't have the 1" of pipe needed for the "SharkBite" to work.  The faucets are right up against the brick on the house.
Bob S.

bkubisht View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkubisht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2010 at 5:36pm

If you're on a crawlspace go under and cut the tubing a foot behind the wall.  Then make a new section of tubing with the right end you need.  I personally haven't had luck unsweating a fitting and then sweating a new one in its place.  Couldn't quite get all the old solder off to install the new part cold.  Maybe the pros have a secret.

3RZ swapped 1985 Toyota 4Runner
50Willys View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2010 at 2:21am
Originally posted by bkubisht bkubisht wrote:

If you're on a crawlspace go under and cut the tubing a foot behind the wall.  Then make a new section of tubing with the right end you need.  I personally haven't had luck unsweating a fitting and then sweating a new one in its place.  Couldn't quite get all the old solder off to install the new part cold.  Maybe the pros have a secret.

Unfortunately the house is on a slab, no crawlspace.  Same with me, I can weld all day long, but can't sweat a pipe.

Edited by 50Willys - 14 September 2010 at 2:21am
Bob S.

bkubisht View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkubisht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2010 at 3:46pm

Sweating fittings onto copper tubing is pretty easy.  I can talk you through it or show you in my garage next time you're in the HSV area.  If you were comfortable with sweating pipes would the job be doable?  Sounds like you will need to do some damage to interior or exterior side of walls to gain access.

3RZ swapped 1985 Toyota 4Runner
83K10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2010 at 3:52pm
Could you just buy a new faucet just like the ones you have to cannibalize for spare parts?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2010 at 1:40am
Rotorooter. I've tried other plumbers, and for the quality of service, being on time, don't smell, and they will do what you ask them to do, they are the way to go.  Other's I have tried to use on bathroom renovations or repairs have been disappointing, to say the least. They work when it suits them, or not at all if you have any comments about the quality of their work.

I don't believe it is possible to sweat a hose bib or faucet onto copper because of the faucet mass sinking the heat away from the joint. You probably have a short, threaded coupler behind the faucet that you can't see. If your dealing with water under pressure, an insured professional plumber is a must.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic