Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winch remote

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winch remote
    Posted: 03 December 2009 at 10:08am
I need a new winch remote for a Warn 10000lb winch.  Does anyone know of a good place in town to get one?  Is there an el-cheapo version, it doesn't have to be a Warn remote if it will work.
74 CJ5
CJ7OX View Drop Down
RCRC Club Member
RCRC Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ7OX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2009 at 7:46pm
Talk to Danny at Rocket City Offroad.
~Sean
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem. -Reagan

MOLON LABE
85ish CJ-7/06 CTD

alabamatoy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
I dont work here anymore...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alabamatoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 12:48am
I have been through this recently.  Unless you can find someone with a dead winch or a remote that damaged and between yours and the damaged one you can cobble together a good one, its going to cost you to get a new remote.  Warn is real proud of them, and doesnt sell any repair parts.  The price for a new remote is, in most cases, about the same as the price for a wireless remote.

I needed a new winch-end connector for mine.  I was able to find someone on this board with a remote that had a dysfunctional switch (which I didnt need) so I bought it and got what I needed off it.

And yes, Danny can order you one at a good price....but its still high.
"If you didnt buy your 1st gen 4Runner new, then YOU are a newbie!!"

BRC Life Member
Mudlight View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudlight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 3:44am
I might have a used remote that I am not using.  How many pins in the connector does it need to have?    

Edited by Mudlight - 04 December 2009 at 3:46am
-DRM- View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -DRM- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 2:16pm
Are you missing one, or is yours just not working correctly?  The last remote I bought was a Ramsey and I think it was almost $80 shipped to replace.

Point is - if you have one that is not working right, it's worth your time to tear into it and try to make it work.
DRM
www.4x4spot.com
4RUNNERB12 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 4:20pm
Sorry guys I couldn't get to a computer until now.  And thanks for the posts.  I do not have a remote, just the winch.  I have looked at the connector and it has 4 pins with nothing in the holes and it looks like there are possible broke off pins in three of the holes (or are those supposed to be there?).  So it is a 7 pin connector.  How many different remotes configurations are there for 7 pins?  Does anyone have a 10K lb. Warn winch?  If so how many pin connector do you have (model number)?  I ask because if I could just find one online that I was sure would work I would buy it.

I don't mind spending $80 for a remote because as of right now the winch is useless.  I would buy a used one if someone had one that would work.

74 CJ5
4RUNNERB12 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 4:45pm
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-Winch-Accessories/Winch-Remote-Control.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=124&t_pt=5312&t_pl=4655&t_pn=WAR72567

I found this one.  I think it would work.
74 CJ5
RedRooster View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedRooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2009 at 10:50am

Why not put a 3 position momentary switch in the dash?  Pull down the wiring schematic, tap into the switch plug on the winch, run wires to the dash, install switch.

I almost exclusively run my dash switch vs the remote.  The only time you would need the remote is if the vehicle is not in a position to be sitting behind the steering wheel.
Mods include heavy right foot and oversized cooler.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic