Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Free flow exhaust question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free flow exhaust question
    Posted: 08 July 2009 at 3:23am
I got an 03 xterra a couple months ago and it gets 14mpg.  I am trying a lot of stuff to get that mpg up and I am now to the exhaust.  I can't decide whether I want to cut the convertor off or get a better flowing muffler and leave the convertor on.  What do you guys think and which muffler would you recommend?  I don't want to sound like a redneck going down the road with straight pipes by the way so a quieter muffler.
74 CJ5
grcthird View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grcthird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 4:18am

A couple of months ago I replaced a stock muffler on a F150 with a Thrush glasspack, my buddies truck picked up a couple of mpgs and it only cost about $40 for everything from the local parts store.  We cut the old one off then clamped the new one on and just put a turn down on the end.  It was maybe 5db louder and sounded better than stock.  I was actually impressed that it did not have the stupid loud popping sound that some glasspacks give off. 

85 Toyota pickup with 85lbs of bondo, 33" TSLs, Spool, Warn winch, 63" chevy's, Ruf, cage and other preowned parts.
94Blazer327 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94Blazer327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 7:24am
Originally posted by grcthird grcthird wrote:

.  I was actually impressed that it did not have the stupid loud popping sound that some glasspacks give off. 

Ahh but it will ..... Give it some timeTongue
www.DamnLocals4x4.com
bigboy70 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigboy70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 10:04am
i would say leave the cats on(check engine light, etc.)

EDIT: call down to Clanton Muffler, tell Robert exactly what your wanting and trying to do and he will most likely be able to answer any questions you have. He does great work and is as knolegeable as they come

Edited by bigboy70 - 08 July 2009 at 10:08am
"98 Blazer MPI 4.3/TH-350/NP203(Twin-Sticked) 10 Bolt/12-Bolt Rollin' on 37"s
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 12:06pm

If the converter restricts flow than you will only make a gain if the muffler selected decreases back-pressure. I've used magnaflow and flow-master both in the past. I saw the best gains when I tore out the stock converter and replaced it with a larger diameter, aftermarket unit to reduce the back-pressure. On a 95 Cherokee I gained about 2 mpg with the cat-back system when I kept my foot out of it. With the converter replaced I felt more torque out of the engine and gained up to 4 mpg with my foot out of it. It also sounded much nicer. Good low tone.

The guy who bought my Cherokee added a K&N intake and throttle body spacer and on the highway said he gained a few more MPG's. I actually did it more for power gains than mpg's.

As far as no converter goes, with modern vehicals this can cause more sensor head-aches than it's worth. I've had a bad sensor actualy blow apart the core in a converter before on a 99 Silverado.  

Good luck with what-ever you choose to do. At least you should get some performance gains, so if you don't gain mileage in the end you'll have more fun burning gas when you hit the skinny pedal in the passing lane.

4RUNNERB12 View Drop Down
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 12:39pm
I am talked out of it.  thanks guys.
74 CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic