Rocket City Rock Crawlers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General 4x4 Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Range shooting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4RUNNERB12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Range shooting
    Posted: 16 July 2008 at 5:47pm
Do any of you guys shoot on a regular basis?  I know there has been a lot of talk lately on the board about pistols and have noticed there is a lot of knowledge about the subject, so thought I would ask. 
74 CJ5
erickpl View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erickpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 1:37am
I shoot at Larry's and out at Swann Creek.  Larrys for the pistols, Swann Creek for the SKS, Garands, and the .22LR Mossberg 44US.
Doc Savage View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 3:55am
I've been to Larry's once. Not bad, but I don't like the indoor. It's loud as all getout (plus we had to pause as we started getting pelted with brass from the guy in the next stand). I've been to Swan Creek a few times. Nice setup, but you gotta wonder how long it will stay open as trashed as it is, brass everythere, trash and junk targets left everywhere. I've just used the pistol range. Folks have been very courteous and friendly when I've been there though.

Robert
Past President, Rocket City Rock Crawlers
Past President, Madison County CERT Association
erickpl View Drop Down
RCRC Club Visitor
RCRC Club Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erickpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 7:32am
Doc, I agree about Swann.  Nice place, but there are those that don't clean up after themselves.  We pick up our brass (don't reload yet, but keeping the brass), but see lots of stuff that isn't, especially shotgun shells. 

It would be nice if they did occasional cleanups to cut the grass on the ranges and pick up the spent casings.

I agree with you about Larry's.  I try to get a lane on the ends to minimize flying brass and try to keep at LEAST 1 lane between me and the next guy.
83K10 View Drop Down
RCRC Club & Business Member
RCRC Club & Business Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83K10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 1:02pm
Don't forget Sharon Johnston has a pistol range. I've shot out there a few times. Its decent. $5 to shoot. They close up at 3pm on Saturdays. To shoot at Swann creek or skyline you are supposed to have a hunting license or a wildlife heritage license.

John
sdgeorge View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdgeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2008 at 7:40am

Larry's is good so long as you can limit your shooting to 44 Mag and smaller.  Cover your ears well...  Call me to make sure I don't plan to be there with my 357s-41s-44s-45s.      Blue & Gray GC has a nice range... Hartselle GC was nice last time I was there.  Sharon Johnson is decent.  Skyline is my first choice...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic